Evans

harryram

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

People will acknowledge that. The reason people baulk at criticism from Evans is the hypocrisy. He was convicted for fraud and suspended from football for 18 months after he broke numerous financial rules and laws in order to get Boston United promoted. He is a crook and a cheat and has no right to question anyone's financial acumen.

What criticism? I have not seen any?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What criticism? I have not seen any?

"But when you have got millions of pounds invested that they have done in the summer, to make it they really have to get promoted or it could be an issue."

He's insinuating that we have overspent, either in terms of FFP or what our board can afford. The link to the article is in the first page of this thread.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

"But when you have got millions of pounds invested that they have done in the summer, to make it they really have to get promoted or it could be an issue."

He's insinuating that we have overspent, either in terms of FFP or what our board can afford. The link to the article is in the first page of this thread.

I agree with what he says, that's just fact not criticism.

If we do not get promoted with what we have spent it should be viewed as failure.

As regards 'it could be an issue' that could be interpreted to mean a lot of things. If he means our owner cannot afford it he is clearly uneducated, if he means with regards to FFP then I see why he may think that but we have to trust our board have some the sums. 

If you expect him not to comment on opponents because he has been done for fraud, I think  you will be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I agree with what he says, that's just fact not criticism.

If we do not get promoted with what we have spent it should be viewed as failure.

As regards 'it could be an issue' that could be interpreted to mean a lot of things. If he means our owner cannot afford it he is clearly uneducated, if he means with regards to FFP then I see why he may think that but we have to trust our board have some the sums. 

If you expect him not to comment on opponents because he has been done for fraud, I think  you will be disappointed.

I expect him not to comment on opponents finances when he has been done for fraud specifically relating to football finance.

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

I expect him not to comment on opponents finances when he has been done for fraud specifically relating to football finance.

Once again you will be disappointed.

If I was a manager playing against Derby trying to play mind games up big up getting a draw against them, the transfer fees would be one of the first things I mentioned. 

He has not accused of financial irregularities or anything so don't really see the issue.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Once again you will be disappointed.

If I was a manager playing against Derby trying to play mind games up big up getting a draw against them, the transfer fees would be one of the first things I mentioned. 

He has not accused of financial irregularities or anything so don't really see the issue.

I take issue with your very liberal interpretation of the phrase "could be an issue". What do you possibly think it means if it isn't an insinuation that we have overspent? What a terrible "issue" it would be for Derby to have an expensive squad of talented players at championship level for another season when they have the funds to cover it?

And, I'm not disappointed. Evans can say what he likes, but he will have to put up with people reminding him of his past indiscretions and pointing out why his opinion on such matters means jack ****.

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

I take issue with your very liberal interpretation of the phrase "could be an issue". What do you possibly think it means if it isn't an insinuation that we have overspent? What a terrible "issue" it would be for Derby to have an expensive squad of talented players at championship level for another season when they have the funds to cover it?

And, I'm not disappointed. Evans can say what he likes, but he will have to put up with people reminding him of his past discretions and pointing out why his opinion on such matters means jack ****.

As I said earlier in the thread he may think we cannot buy any more players in January/summer, or may need to sell in the summer to balance the books.

Easy to see why he may conclude this, we were supposedly on the edge with FFP last season, and have increased out transfer budget by £20m since then!

I imagine Evans was asked a question by his local media and that was the answer that he gave. It's an unimportant opinion to us but perhaps not to Leeds owners/fans/media.

I remember when Nigel Clough used to supply the same sort of answers in interviews...

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As I said earlier in the thread he may think we cannot buy any more players in January/summer, or may need to sell in the summer to balance the books.

Easy to see why he may conclude this, we were supposedly on the edge with FFP last season, and have increased out transfer budget by £20m since then!

I imagine Evans was asked a question by his local media and that was the answer that he gave. It's an unimportant opinion to us but perhaps not to Leeds owners/fans/media.

I remember when Nigel Clough used to supply the same sort of answers in interviews...

Remind me how many times Clough got himself in trouble with the league and the law in relation to football finances? I'm sure opposition fans weren't happy with Clough's comments, but his opinion on such matters objectively holds more weight than Evans'.

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

Remind me how many times Clough got himself in trouble with the league and the law in relation to football finances? I'm sure opposition fans weren't happy with Clough's comments, but his opinion on such matters objectively holds more weight than Evans'.

I wont respond too much to the first point for fear of reprimand from the moderators! Just to be clear though I am not aware of NC ever being on trouble with football authorities over financial irregularities.

Not sure why Evans being done for fraud stops him from pointing out his opponents have spent a lot of money on players, the sort of amounts that have left others facing FFP sanctions.

Again, I don't see an issue in what Evans has said. People leap to the defence of Derby County when they perceive any sort of criticism - whether real, implied or indeed even a misinterpretation of what is being said or implied. It's unnecessary.

From his point of view, it doesn't even matter if it's true or not, it only matters that a few leeds supporters believe it because it makes his team look better (against all odds) and ours seem worse (don't deserve it/it's all on tick etc etc).

And I'm sure more than a few Leeds fans lapped it up.

The only likely trouble scenarios are a) Mel gets tired of spending his fortune on Derby County at £13m a year (and we've not been promoted) or b) Mel runs out of money (like Pickering).

What Evans has said was true of the 3 amigos and would perhaps have been true of the Gadsby ownership (where we did go up but things were not exactly peachy in the aftermath). 

I can see why people are p15sed off over the comments, whether they're right or wrong. He ought not be making such comments on other clubs' affairs for two overwhelming reasons: (1) he is neither sufficiently qualified nor sufficiently informed about Derby's affairs to know; and (2) the fact that he makes those comments shows he is in a position of weakness, that he knows it, and that it bothers him.

Think about it: if Leeds were flying, his answer (indeed any manager's answer) would be about how well things are going. For his team!

While Evans has performed quite well (did I hear correctly on Sky that he became the first of the last five Leeds' managers to reach his 13th league match against us?), he knows Cellino is always a vino and an eyeful of a pair of boobies away from going insane. And when he goes insane, someone gets fired. Or barred from Elland Road.

Watch Byram be the next to be 'barred'.

Secondly (and I've not caught up with all of the details of how the Sky issue was settled), when Cellino (a) tries a stunt like that 24 hours before a big game; (b) threatens to sack his staff if they fold to Sky without his imprimatur; (c) then knicks off on holiday; and (d) THEN has the audacity to claim the issue was that he couldn't afford to pay his staff to supervise Sky setting up for the 24 hours in question...well, the fool has just lost it.

Even if, as is highly likely, he was just taking the p15s with (d), you'd have to argue it's pretty out of character for him to make any concessions on weakness at all.

Evans was just trying for a distraction. As someone said earlier, he was playing to the Leeds fans by hinting at excuses.

While his team has some momentum now, he is about to lose a key player. Their squad is thin and thinning...and the mad Italian in the big office will be looking for someone to blame when the it all goes awry.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/486850/Leeds-Steve-Evans-clothes

Steve Evans has Leeds badge sewn on to gear as he can’t find club kit to fit

ROLY-POLY Leeds boss Steve Evans has been forced to improvise - after failing to find any club kit to fit him.

Evans was left embarrassed when he took charge of Leeds and discovered the official club tracksuits were not big enough.

Madcap owner Massimo Cellino contacted official kit suppliers ‘Kappa’ in Italy and asked them to make some extra large training outfits for Evans.

But none have arrived, forcing Evans wear the old tracksuits he used to wear when in charge of Championship rivals Rotherham.

Starsport can reveal Evans has got the Leeds kit man to attach official club badges to the tops and bottoms to make them look like proper club outfits.

An Elland Road source said: “The manager can’t seem to fit into the official Leeds training gear.

“So he’s using his old stuff and has got someone to attach Leeds badges to it so it looks like the original stuff all the rest of the coaching staff wear.”

Leeds have become a laughing stock under Cellino, who has been banned twice by the Football League from running the club due to convictions for tax evasion in his homeland.

He has also been accused of undermining Evans by going into the dressing room at half time during games to give his views on selection and tactics.

Archived