Derby/Derbyshire restaurants/pubfood

Mafiabob

A good indicator of pub food quality for me is whether they make their own chips, as they tend to do more home made pies & stuff.

I can't stand those crappy frozen chips you get in most family pub chains & a lot of independent ones. One such place near where I used to live served pre-cooked boil-in-the-bag mixed grills. How bad is that?!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/12/2015 at 09:38, Daveo said:

Anything nice but not expensive in Ashbourne would be most welcome, got a week to kill next month there

Always liked the bridge inn, nice food, do a good sunday lunch

Bulls Head in Repton do some of the best pizzas I've ever had.  Just make sure you book ahead of time for weekends or go midweek as it gets really busy.

New Ming Court in Belper is a lovely little Chinese place.

The Durham Ox in Ilkeston do some great stuff and the place itself is lovely and cosy.  The sames goes for The Hogs Head, just up the road in Awsworth.

Harpurs/Melbourne Hotel in Melbourne used to be very good but I have't been since my mate left to be the head chef at Darley's so don't know if the standard has been kept up.

As for Derby centre, they do a good burger at The Brooklyn Social on Saldergate, as does the Silk Mill.  Do love The Tap on Derwent Street as well.

Morley Hayes is the best .

Food is great and good value for money IMO .

They serve Pedigree and Marstons original which you can't beat for me apart from Bass and London Pride which would be good for them to also serve  IMO  

Christmas lights are amazing this year and it's just a great place to go. .

Love the Rooster bar the best. 

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Bulls Head in Repton do some of the best pizzas I've ever had.  Just make sure you book ahead of time for weekends or go midweek as it gets really busy.

I'd each that and about the weekends, gets real busy, been to a few friends/family do's there.

I'll add the Abbey in Burton for posh nosh, read a bit pricey, but service and food good quality, oh and do chunky chips!

On 11 December 2015 at 15:12, Wolfie said:

A good indicator of pub food quality for me is whether they make their own chips, as they tend to do more home made pies & stuff.

I can't stand those crappy frozen chips you get in most family pub chains & a lot of independent ones. One such place near where I used to live served pre-cooked boil-in-the-bag mixed grills. How bad is that?!

Another one for that is the Distillery in Derby, went a couple of weeks back, Steaks are very good and plenty of bars down road for night on town, as anyone nearby would know.

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

New Ming Court in Belper is a lovely little Chinese place.

The Durham Ox in Ilkeston do some great stuff and the place itself is lovely and cosy.  The sames goes for The Hogs Head, just up the road in Awsworth.

Harpurs/Melbourne Hotel in Melbourne used to be very good but I have't been since my mate left to be the head chef at Darley's so don't know if the standard has been kept up.

As for Derby centre, they do a good burger at The Brooklyn Social on Saldergate, as does the Silk Mill.  Do love The Tap on Derwent Street as well.

The Pink Chocolate cocktail in The Brooklyn Social is amazing!

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Coopers Arms, Weston on Trent, amazing carvery, good value.

Ohh just reminded me about that place, must go again soon, Remember seeing Wanchope in there years ago, think he was staying with a family nearby, because I saw him a couple of times.

Just been in the Cricketts at Acresford, bit pricey but decent food and nice country pub cum restaurant.

Archived