Derby City Council

Sith Happens

Ok so im no expert, but, Derby City Council announcing that because of cuts forced on them by central government they have announced some VERY public cuts,  markeaton fireworks, darley park concert, moorways swimingpool, and the christmas icerink and lights.

Seems to me nothing more than political point scoring.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Ok so im no expert, but, Derby City Council announcing that because of cuts forced on them by central government they have announced some VERY public cuts,  markeaton fireworks, darley park concert, moorways swimingpool, and the christmas icerink and lights.

What are you saying?

The City Council should cut other stuff?

Bin collections? Care home places?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Really???? The cut's are massive, would you like them to cut essential services?

Have you not heard about Conservative run Oxfordshire County Council who's leader has been involved in a spat with David Cameron on the levels of cuts? OCC have announced big cuts to services and Cameron wrote a letter to the councils Conservative leader. Who could not believe that Cameron was even asking the question?

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/13948252.David_Cameron_clashes_with_council_over_cuts_to_frontline_services/

To put the cut's into perspective here's the levels were talking about. 

Councils are currently half way through a scheduled 40 per cent cut in funding from central government. Having delivered £10 billion of savings in the three years from 2011/12, local authorities have to find the same savings again in the next two years. As a result of these cuts councils in many areas will not have enough money to meet all their statutory responsibilities.

Our future funding outlook model predicts that the amount of money available to deliver some
of the most popular local services will shrink by 66 per cent by the end of the decade. This is likely to result in less money to spend on things such as filling potholes, providing youth services and funding leisure facilities (pools, gyms and parks). It will also mean less money to spend on libraries and a significant reduction in the help that councils can provide to local businesses. 

http://www.local.gov.uk/documents/10180/5854661/Under+pressure.pdf/0c864f60-8e34-442a-8ed7-9037b9c59b46

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

They're cutting stuff nobodies that bothered about. Except a few happy clappers get something for nothing freeloaders.

come at me.

200 staff getting cut probably means that somebody is bothered, yet the council leader will still receive his £50,000 a year + expenses for working 3 days a week.

Derby, Leicester and Nottingham city councils to lose £150m between them. This is on top of huge cuts in 2013. Tough decisions to be made by all of them.

It sounds easy enough to just cut things like the fireworks and concerts but these type of things bring people together and create a sense of community and pride in where you live.

I guess the 5th richest country on earth can't afford that nowadays.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Derby, Leicester and Nottingham city councils to lose £150m between them. This is on top of huge cuts in 2013. Tough decisions to be made by all of them.

It sounds easy enough to just cut things like the fireworks and concerts but these type of things bring people together and create a sense of community and pride in where you live.

I guess the 5th richest country on earth can't afford that nowadays.

you have been listening to Mr Cameron too much me ole mucker :)

You'll note that it's essentially all the "nice to have" stuff that, as Uttox points out, helps people feel like they have a better quality of life and brings communities together

But essentially the Conservative dogma is that all of these things can and should be paid for by the private sector. so they are forcing the hands of the councils. Want to take a pee in town? that's 50p a pop thanks. Someone can make a profit from your need to use a toilet, so why would we not exploit that. Want a big concert in the park with fireworks? Let a private company organise it and charge you a fiver each. Why not!

Meanwhile we find money to bomb other countries

Horrible times to be living through

Very challenging financial times ahead,both in the short term and a uncertain  future for us all.Do you thinks its too soon to ask the council to paint the Pride Park lamp posts black and white instead of that goddamn awful mucky red mess?

1 hour ago, NC--RAM said:

Very challenging financial times ahead,both in the short term and a uncertain  future for us all.Do you thinks its too soon to ask the council to paint the Pride Park lamp posts black and white instead of that goddamn awful mucky red mess?

That mucky red (crimson lake) and cream my dear friend is a early British Railways livery colour . The once majestic loco works once stood on the area around John Lloyd and up as far as the car sales once stood.

So it's not just some mucky red, it has some meaning.

The train spotters and industry called it "Blood and Custard"

although, painting them black and white near the iPro would be ok, as that area was gas works land I believe.

Archived