Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban 'bewilders' Church of England

Day

The point is this. 

Choice is being made by others, because some exec is trying to avoid offending some small minority.  I am pretty sure that the demographic going to see star wars will have little or no interest in the adverts as they munch popcorn and slurp sugary drinks waiting in anticipation.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Duracell said:

The Church of England has finally lost the plot (or lost it even more) if it thinks it's something to be marketed before a film. Like a telecoms company or M&Ms.

Before the CofE gets too upset, they should remember that it still has ncredible privileges when it comes to terrestrial television.  

This. Something something Songs of Praise.

10 hours ago, Duracell said:

The Church of England has finally lost the plot (or lost it even more) if it thinks it's something to be marketed before a film. Like a telecoms company or M&Ms.

Before the CofE gets too upset, they should remember that it still has ncredible privileges when it comes to terrestrial television.  

Not to mention being a central part of the state. Even today, bishops, who are largely an irrelevance, still help form the direction of the state in the House of Lords.

23 hours ago, Daveo said:

True. But if we go to other countries we have to respect and abide by their laws, some of which come through religion.

If anyone is offended by a Christian prayer at Christmas in an advert at the cinema you really shouldn't be in this country. 

Well said Daveo,in total agreement with you.

As an atheist who actively opposes religious ideas I don't want to be seeing any Christian nonsense before I go and watch a film that, even though I should know better after the Phantom Menace, I'm getting a bit giddy with excitement about. I'm sure it wouldn't ruin my experience, but it would cheese me off right before a new Star Wars film, which up until now don't exactly come about very often. So the church can sod off.

But there is a bigger issue. The reason given for not showing it is worrying. If there is an existing rule that prevents the advert from being shown then why would somebody think it would be a better argument to say it is to avoid causing offence? There's a lot of attacks on freedom of expression by the regressive left now. In Canada a man has been put on trial for disagreeing with feminists on Twitter and has been instructed he can't use the Internet for the last 3 years even though he needs to use the Internet to practise his profession. For disagreeing with idiots! Because it offended them! How has this been allowed to happen in a western country?

Anyway, here's another Star Wars religion gag.

18 hours ago, reveldevil said:

b) No amount of prayer can save anyone over the age of 12 going to the cinema to watch Star Wars.

How dare you, sir. 

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

"Remember the bit where Lister jump-started the second big bang with jump-leads from Starbug....."

All the religion anyone ever needed.

"But where would all the calcu-"

You know the rest. I think you and I have quoted that line enough times on this forum between us.

Just remember the holy writ - "It is a sin to be cool"

39 minutes ago, Tombo said:

"But where would all the calcu-"

You know the rest. I think you and I have quoted that line enough times on this forum between us.

Just remember the holy writ - "It is a sin to be cool"

something something custard stain

On 22 November 2015 11:40:27, AndyinLiverpool said:

Too many people assume others are going to be 'offended' by something entirely innocuous.

I assume by people of 'no faith', they mean non-religious (I do not believe in a god but I have faith in lots of things).

I do not find their prayer 'offensive' because I do not feel my freedom of thought threatened by their mediaeval mumbo-jumbo. 

If, however, I wanted a lecture on free speech, I would not ask the Church of England to give it. And since they appropriated the winter festival of Yule for their own purposes, followers of Christ ought to shut the **** up about how people celebrate.

If anyone's offended by that, they shouldn't be in this country.

Yes I don't get how anyone can say people of no faith... Like me... Could be offended by the Lord's Prayer. Let people believe in that mumbo jumbo nonsense if they want... No offence intended of course, 

Archived