Match Day Experience Survey

bendevos

Hi everyone, I'm currently busy with a University Research Project that I'll be delivering back to the club at the end of the month. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated by clicking on the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/H3ZGR76 or copying and pasting it. There are only ten, mostly multiple choice questions but hopefully it won't go unheard. There's also a section on this on www.bendevos.com and www.sportmanagementderby.co.uk and please feel free to register or leave a comment on there to get an update on the outcome of the study.

Thanks for your help :-)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, bendevos said:

Hi everyone, I'm currently busy with a University Research Project that I'll be delivering back to the club at the end of the month. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated by clicking on the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/H3ZGR76 or copying and pasting it. There are only ten, mostly multiple choice questions but hopefully it won't go unheard. There's also a section on this on www.bendevos.com and www.sportmanagementderby.co.uk and please feel free to register or leave a comment on there to get an update on the outcome of the study.

Good work, another place i can complain about the concourse services, will anything get done? I hope so......

1 hour ago, cannable said:

It still bewilders me as to why mascot boxing isn't a thing.

The FA fine clubs any time a mascot does anything amusing. I think they ended up killing serial offenders like Cyrille The Swan and Hangus The Monkey.

4 hours ago, bendevos said:

Done, hope it helps:p

I've done it. The results will be pretty predictable though. Aside from the odd personal gripe, e.g. wheelchair issues or the 'steward who always picks on me', the majority of negative responses will feature the catering, with the half time entertainment coming a close second.

Quite what Mel can do about either is difficult to see.

The catering is subcontracted out to Delaware North so the club has a limited input. Mel could (and probably should) buy out that contract, but the fundamental issues won't change. You are trying to serve c10,000 guests in the hour before kick-off and c20,000 during half time. You could employ three times the number of staff, but you'd lose money. If the club did it in house there's another staffing problem. How many decent staff want to work for 2 hours a fortnight? At least Delaware can provide a reasonable amount of hours by deploying staff in different venues. Also, to have any chance of coping with the rush the food needs to be pre-cooked, so the quality will always be questionable. I'm sure there are solutions out there, but I'm also sure that those solutions aren't as simple as getting better staff or changing the pie supplier.

As for the half time entertainment - has it ever been good at any football ground? Do we even want it to be that good? Imagine if the club hit on a magic idea that gripped everyone so much that we all stayed and watched. When would you talk to your mates about the match? When would you go to the toilet? When would you buy your overpriced refreshments?

That's all very good points - thanks very much. 

You are right, there definitely already seems to be a trend developing around the catering - no doubt it's been discussed many times on here. I respect your comment raising the question about what exactly it is that can be done. It's a valid point. I'm hoping that this study will come up with workable suggestions for improvements to implemented by looking at other clubs and sport. Time will tell I guess. 

I suppose one of the biggest shames is the fact that beer are not allowed to be taken into the stands, yet in rugby even glass bottles are fine. Of course safety comes in to it but would you throw a beer if the penalty was a lifelong ban? I don't know. You're probably right with regards to the quality issue also as I'm sure it must be difficult. What is it like at other grounds? My experience of the quality at sporting events in South Africa is that it's often exceptional, freshly cooked and tasty.  

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎17‎:‎10‎:‎01, Carl Sagan said:a

While I did the survey, I detest the phrase "match day experience", It's doubtless totally irrational on my part, but I can't help myself.

Agree mate "match day experience" sounds like some Americanism phrasve.

Done. My area for improvement also focused on catering. They need better trying as much as anything, watching the inefficient way one will suddenly block the path of 3 others is frustrating, as is odd ones ability to comprehend what change the till is telling them to give out. Wonder at times if they get any sort of maths test or do they just meltdown with the numbers coming at them? Know that's harsh but sometimes they can be clueless.

3 hours ago, robster1 said:

Agree mate "match day experience" sounds like some Americanism phrasve.

I respect your opinion on that - apologies if it doesn't sound fitting to English football. I guess the Sport management degree I'm busy with is based on an American model I suppose, so too having practical experience with a professional sports body like DCFC and a partnership with the University. At the end of the day I guess it's all about engaging with the fans and trying to please as many as possible. Thanks for everyone participating.

45 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Could have had a option of going to the games with a parent. I'm sure most of the younger members on here do, and then some of the older ones with elderly parents.

Wasn't there a family option? I take an older parent and that's what I chose.

Archived