Butterfield's progress

Thierry Ennui

Relatively little said about Butterfield considering his contribution on Saturday:

- ball of the season so far (possible exception of Thorne to Hendrick before Ince scored) to Forsyth leading to the first goal

- fantastic finish for the second goal

- general close control and accurate passing

- showing for the ball constantly

My favourite feature of this team since we've hit form is the willingness of our midfielders to pass to one another instead of rushing the ball out wide. Butterfield has the ability to be part of that.

I think Johnson is excellent and instantly hit his stride but Butterfield's slow start and flashes of brilliance excite me for what he's capable of. Wasn't the stat that he created more goalscoring opportunities than anyone else last season? By all accounts he was the main man at Huddersfield so it was inevitable he'd take time to settle into our midfield.

Also, isn't it brilliant to have someone so utterly 2-footed? I was saying to my brother that he's basically the Santi Cazorla of the Championship.

With Thorne missing I think the pressure on Butterfield increases due to his passing ability. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When he first came in, Clement was expecting Johnson to settle in faster than Butterfield, due to the types of player they are. Johnson is action man, and you can slot him into any midfield, doing the same role. Butterfield is a bit more nuanced - its taken him time to understand the role he has in our midfield, which was different to the role he had at Huddersfield. He was their Will Hughes, but now, he is in a team isn't so reliant on him, which is perhaps why it passed him by a little until now.

I liked Butterfield when I saw him at Barnsley a few years ago. Had a touch of the Hughes about him. He uses the ball so well, and now he's in his stride, that has started to show for Derby. He's learnt what he has to do, how to do it, and how to best use the other players around him. It takes time to work that out, you can't tell what your teammates will do in the space of 5 minutes - on the pitch or on the training ground.

That ball to Forsyth leading up to the first goal was a thing of beauty, nearly as good as Thorne's vs. Brentford, and Thorne's vs. Huddersfield two seasons ago.

If he keeps playing like that, Hendrick and Bryson have a serious fight on their hands to get that place back. And with the form Hendrick is also in, Bryson is facing mission impossible.

He's getting better with each match and he has the chance to keep his place for the foreseeable future. I like that he's one of those players that is always speaking to other players on the side, telling him how they should be playing the ball or where they should be playing it. He wants to dictate things and make things happen.

I imagine that tomorrow night we'll see Johnson drop back into the Thorne role and Hendrick come in alongside Butterfield. We really have ample options at the moment and I love it!

We really needed midfielders, signed him and BJ and I was pleased. Then Hendrick and Hanson started to look really good and I was wondering if we needed Butterfield after all and why we'd paid so much for him. Now he's starting to settle, he really looks a player. And he looks more of a Hughes-type (composed, vision, can pick a pass, long and short) than anyone else we've got in the squad. Link-up play is crucial for a three-man midfield and I was worried we'd struggle with that without Hughes. Butterfield can and will be very important for us this season, offering something different and making the others really up their game for a place in the team. I'm very glad that we signed him now. 

The end. 

Butters is a quality midfielder and who for me is a 'work horse',  he can move the ball about and not shy in his tackling- and lets not forget his shooting abilities.....

For me with bringing in both Butters and BJ, to add to GT, WH CB and JH-  this has without doubt created the best midfield in the championship - and it does gives us options in midfield if injuries or suspensions come in.

He's finding his feet currently. Figuring out his role and positioning in a new side. He is still going missing for large parts of the match and it appears as if he knows this and he is figuring all this out because there are times in which he simply passes the ball on, not to retain possession, but because he isn't so sure of the place on the pitch he has drifted into. Over the next 3/4 starts he will begin to feel more comfortable about where he is on the pitch. But now Bryson is back too, he might struggle a little to start. With Thorne and Johnson in the side, Bryson is going to find himself playing where he is best. 

Bryson, Hendrick and Butterfield are all fighting for one place. No chance when Thorne and Johnson are available that any of those three can nick one of these two's starting place. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Don't know how true it is but apparently he can smile

In other news, those invisible shopping bags Keogh always seems to be carrying are sponsored by Zanfish 

And I thought Keogh had invisible footballs in his armpits... You should've told earlier, I've lived in false reality.

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

He's finding his feet currently. Figuring out his role and positioning in a new side. He is still going missing for large parts of the match and it appears as if he knows this and he is figuring all this out because there are times in which he simply passes the ball on, not to retain possession, but because he isn't so sure of the place on the pitch he has drifted into. Over the next 3/4 starts he will begin to feel more comfortable about where he is on the pitch. But now Bryson is back too, he might struggle a little to start. With Thorne and Johnson in the side, Bryson is going to find himself playing where he is best. 

Bryson, Hendrick and Butterfield are all fighting for one place. No chance when Thorne and Johnson are available that any of those three can nick one of these two's starting place. 

Bryson is going to have to score a good number of goals to keep Butterfield out for me.

i think that Johnson can be our most versatile player for at least ten years. Wherever he plays, he can steal the ball, receive it, pass it and stop pretty much anyone trying to dominate the midfield. He could pass as a striker for half a game. Him and Butterfield are a good combination to cover for Thorne when injured or suspended. Bryson for last 30 minutes for me.

Just on the passes of the season so far, how does Johnny Russell's pass for Martin to score up at Preston not make number one?

The Butterfield pass wasn't that difficult IMO - there was a lot of space between their defence and behind it.

Thorne's to Hendrick was sublime - the timing and the weight of it was inch perfect.

Still, the JR assist to Martin win's hand's down for me.

Russell's was a beaut. I'd forgotten it and it's possibly number 1.

Butterfield's was great because it looked like he'd messed it up at first, from where I was. In actual fact it was played at the exact right pace, and in just the right direction, to allow Forsyth to need no controlling touch, and to put all his attentions onto picking out a target, which he did. I don't think anyone was expecting it.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

And I thought Keogh had invisible footballs in his armpits... You should've told earlier, I've lived in false reality.

As child growing up in Dublin he used to go and do the shopping with his brother Andy. Keogh's Dad would demand a hot meal on the table when he returned home from work and Keogh's mother worked part time in the laundrette. The brothers had to do their part. 

Richard always carried the potatoes and you can see the effect that had on him. He may earn thousands per week now but back then 1 sixpence a fortnight was more appreciated 

At Huddersfield, the players around him were not as good as those here at Derby. He must think that it is his birthday having so many players to pass to and so many players that can read his intentions. He has brains and will be taking root as a starter until Will is fully fit, then Clement has a headache that will not go away as to who to pick.Whoever decided that Butterfield and Johnson could and would sign for us was really aware of what was needed, so we paid over the odds, or did we? Butterfield looks as if he could maybe play in the next league up.If both play at this standard throughout the season, it is money well spent. we have excellent insurance cover if they get injured so we will not be out of pocket.

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

Bryson is going to have to score a good number of goals to keep Butterfield out for me.

i think that Johnson can be our most versatile player for at least ten years. Wherever he plays, he can steal the ball, receive it, pass it and stop pretty much anyone trying to dominate the midfield. He could pass as a striker for half a game. Him and Butterfield are a good combination to cover for Thorne when injured or suspended. Bryson for last 30 minutes for me.

The current situation is actually great for Bryson. If he plays it will be in a free role as the furthest forward midfielder. He will get goals and assists. Bryson will be far more effective with Thorne and Johnson in the side. But box to box Bryson, that chases everything down, get's goals and assists is gone in my view. The way we relied upon him in the past is too much of an ask now physically. He's 29 in a few days. He can't be that player of the past, but he doesn't need to be. His goals and assists to games ratio could be better than his amazing season in the current setup.

Johnson is good cover for Thorne it would appear. As time and again Johnson has slipped back into DM for spells. Which is good because Thorne can play further up, much further up. We must not forget Hanson though. Against a tough side I would have Thorne, Johnson and Hanson as my starters currently. But those kind of sides and games are only 1 in every 15 or so. 

I view it a bit differently to you. Butterfield will have to increase his tempo and work rate to keep Bryson out in the future if Thorne and Johnson remain fit. It's great that we don't have like for likes when it comes to our midfielders. Because then it's easier to swap players around and for them to all get game time. I have always been cautious of clubs that have too much direct competition for positions. 

I hope Butterfield can begin to realize in his approach that he is at a totally different club to what he is used to. He should be finding himself in positions to shoot more than he has ever been used to. 

3 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

The current situation is actually great for Bryson. If he plays it will be in a free role as the furthest forward midfielder. He will get goals and assists. Bryson will be far more effective with Thorne and Johnson in the side. But box to box Bryson, that chases everything down, get's goals and assists is gone in my view. The way we relied upon him in the past is too much of an ask now physically. He's 29 in a few days. He can't be that player of the past, but he doesn't need to be. His goals and assists to games ratio could be better than his amazing season in the current setup.

Johnson is good cover for Thorne it would appear. As time and again Johnson has slipped back into DM for spells. Which is good because Thorne can play further up, much further up. We must not forget Hanson though. Against a tough side I would have Thorne, Johnson and Hanson as my starters currently. But those kind of sides and games are only 1 in every 15 or so. 

I view it a bit differently to you. Butterfield will have to increase his tempo and work rate to keep Bryson out in the future if Thorne and Johnson remain fit. It's great that we don't have like for likes when it comes to our midfielders. Because then it's easier to swap players around and for them to all get game time. I have always been cautious of clubs that have too much direct competition for positions. 

I hope Butterfield can begin to realize in his approach that he is at a totally different club to what he is used to. He should be finding himself in positions to shoot more than he has ever been used to. 

Great post uptherams , it's no coincidence butterfield has improved a lot the last couple of games with Bryso back fit again and he's the one in possession of the jersey so good luck to him , but what a position PC is in when he looks at his bench and sees Hendrick and Bryso desperate to come on and drive this team to promotion 

Archived