Fans Forum

Day

I am disappointed in such a simplistic theory from you Mozza. 

Missing Martin and a DCM affected all parts of our play, as did Grant being injured with no real replacement available.

There is so much more to defending than the defence 

I said this to so many people last season who still wanted to blaime, keogh, fozzy, bucko, or whoever else was in the back 4.

We are now defending from the front again, we have a much harder working and physical midfield with thorne and johnson in there. Carson gives the back 4 confidence unlike Grant from Rotherham away onwards, last season. Keogh isnt trying to do 3 peoples jobs anymore and running around making last ditch channels left right and centre. He is just sticking to his own job and doing it well.

I also think the midfield balance is so much better now for a balanced style of play. The tippy tappy duo of Bryson and Hughes, with no eustace or thorne behind them, was a recipe for slow posession based football in the opponents half, creating few chances and few opportunties to get in behind them, and leaving us suseptable to the counter attack, leaving the defense isolated, with large gaps between the midfield and the attack. Its no wonder we got 80% posession every game last season but still lost games and had more chances created against us than we created ourselves.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did specifically highlight the absence of Thorne as a major reason for our defensive woes last season too.

yes, but it was remiss of them to not mention Eustace, who we arguably missed more, because he actually was in the side that got us to the top

I couldn't help but think what a similar event at Forest would look like - 

In the middle of the table, Chairman Fawaz, to his right, Manager DF, and 4 empty places for the others needed to run a football club!

You forgot John McGovern pouring the water for Fawaz and looking pathetically grateful for being there.

They did specifically highlight the absence of Thorne as a major reason for our defensive woes last season too.

If we were to compare side by side Thorne this season vs what we had last season I think some people would be shocked at how big a loss he was. I think it's easy to forget just how weak we were compared to now. Every game when another side was attacking us or on the edge of our box I would get the feeling we would concede. Not anymore. Not this season. Even though the last 3 goals we conceded were weak and defensive errors. There is still room for improvement all over the pitch in terms of performances. But we are far more stable than we were last season. 

I liked the 'Eust' just thought we might have held on to him for a bit longer , held the defence together ,

but hey ho , we move on ..

I loved him too. If Baird got injured I think i's be ringing Eustace to see how the injury was going if money was tight, but it isn't.  

Cheers to @rammieib for asking me out for a date. 

Highlights: 

Derby, as we know are pretty decent on the ball. PC showed tables of chances created (I know, what counts as a chance?), possession (anyone can pass around the back 4) BUT he included passes in the opponents half and successful passes in the opponents half. Derby top these two tables. Two tables that give the chances created (think we were 4th?) and possession (3rd?) some context. It wasn't really the stats that impressed me but it showed what was important to him. I just like his principals. Only a small highlight but I don't think there was a great deal said that us geeks don't know already

Darren Wassall impressive for those that didn't know the academy plans. Moor Farm is great as anyone who's been there can confirm. And it's getting bigger and better!!!  Bradley Johnson took one look and said he's not going back to Norwich. 

Don't need to worry about FFP. 

Those were the highlights for me. I know ON the pitch is all we really care about but OFF the pitch it seems Derby are really on top of the game. In the short term it doesn't seem like anything will bite us in the backside from off the pitch. 

Lows: 

Just a question about the budget for January. Never going to get an answer. Rightly so. Who really cares? With the right scouting/coaching you don't always need to dig the purse out. 

The Martin question. Just not a question I liked. But then the answer provoked a criticism aimed at tactics. I think most hardcore football fans can sit and correctly point out where a team is going wrong and what a team is doing right. I don't think though we are qualified to tell a coach of this level HOW to put it right. That's the skill. Being able to coach. 

It's like knowing everything about plastering and never picked up a trowell 

They made it clear that it's hard to bring in a Martin MK 2 because nobody decent wants to play 10 games in a season. So the real way to go about it is to have an alternative. Which means an alternative system in this case. This is where there was an unintentional sort of dig at Mac. Because we played last season as if Martin was there... when he wasn't.  We played with a DM and Martin... Without a good DM AND without Martin! 

So Clement says they have alternatives and the reply is that his other systems don't work. Now this isn't entirely true for starters. Birmingham away was pretty decent. If Clement says there are alternatives then I don't see how we can question that without seeing it tried and tested over a decent period of time.

What we can do is say that 433 with a good DM and a Martin works. It works very well. But that system has been beaten too this season. It has looked dodgy at times. So I wouldn't be too hasty in shooting down his ideas. We are well versed in 433 and that's what I hope we stick with. But if we lose the key players for it then (it may take time) but other ideas shouldn't be dismissed.  

1 hour ago, I Am Sheep said:

Still anyone out there calling for Mascarell?

What a chuffing donkey. Sorry but the lad isn't going to amount to anything in any competitive football league.

I just heard Mascarell mentioned followed by a strange silence from all of his previous supporters.

I'm not sure what Mascarell ever did wrong to deserve this comment? 

Think he was decent and will be playing competitive football for years to come. 

51 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

I'm not sure what Mascarell ever did wrong to deserve this comment? 

Think he was decent and will be playing competitive football for years to come. 

People said the same about Bueno "too lightweight, won't make it, not good enough for the super Rams" now at Porto and playing at the highest level. Bit different to how people said it would go.

Archived