Fans Forum

Day

Was Sam Rush implying that McClaren was obtusely refusing to change formation?

Mel is on his soapbox here arguing with this guy. The guy made a good point, albeit a bit rudely.

I'm unable to watch, can you explain this further? Sounds like Rush was forcing McClaren to change formation rather than leaving the coach to the football side of things. What was the rude question to Mel?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PC says Hughes is on course to be back March/April and it's very important to give players extra healing time and not to rush them with these injuries. Apparently, an extra 4-6 weeks before coming back can make a big difference. Also praises the facilities at Moor Farm that will help.

I'm unable to watch, can you explain this further? Sounds like Rush was forcing McClaren to change formation rather than leaving the coach to the football side of things. What was the rude question to Mel?

Why don't we have a direct replacement for Martin? 

Rush was pointing out that scoring goals wasn't the problem last season end, keeping them out was, and maybe the previous coach could have adapted better.

Also said that they've tried to find a bench warmer for Martin, no one fancies it, PC said his replacement if injured would be Bent, Wiemann and Russell playing closer together in a different formation.

He didn't say or imply that he asked him to change formation. The question was about why don't we have cover for Martin when his injury ruined our season last year. Mel said that hardest thing is trying to sell the club to "Chris Martin Mark 2". Why we he come here and sit on our bench? Rush verified that this conversation HAS been had with some players. It's tough trying to convince them. But he said that he doesn't think the recruitment were to blame for the fact we couldn't really deal with Martin's injury, he said something along the lines of "decisions were made with the playing style" and then he pulled away from the microphone with a stern face as if to just go "I'll say no more". Think he probably went to Mac and said "look, we can't find anyone on such short notice, you're going to have to make do and change formation". Think it was just personal opinion of his that we should have changed the formation.

Clement took over and said we've got different systems and formations and a big squad. The asker was persistent though and started rudely going on about "I've seen your diamond Paul and we're too narrow, we're not good enough in different formations". Mel then seemed to get annoyed and reminded him that we didn't have any problems scoring when Martin went down, it was at the back that things went wrong. It was missing George Thorne and not having another CDM to fill in. It was at the back that we seemed to crumble.

Then Paul chimed back in with a corker of a line. "We can't divulge the discussions we're having at the moment.....but those kind of discussions are being had".

Two phrases I'm yet to hear, 'Stir frying ideas in the strategy wok', and 'Tone at the Top'.

Either one will make me happy!

Did you need them for a line or a full house?

Why don't we have a direct replacement for Martin? 

Rush was pointing out that scoring goals wasn't the problem last season end, keeping them out was, and maybe the previous coach could have adapted better.

Also said that they've tried to find a bench warmer for Martin, no one fancies it, PC said his replacement if injured would be Bent, Wiemann and Russell playing closer together in a different formation.

I thought that the explanation given was a good one, and if you think about it, it should be obvious.

How on earth do you attract a player to Derby in order to be number two to Chris Martin if he is good enough to play that role effectively, when he is likely to be on the bench for 35-40 games a season? I had that argument several times with my Brother-in-law last year, and I don't think I got through to him.

Did you need them for a line or a full house?

I thought that the explanation given was a good one, and if you think about it, it should be obvious.

How on earth do you attract a player to Derby in order to be number two to Chris Martin if he is good enough to play that role effectively, when he is likely to be on the bench for 35-40 games a season?

By signing a young player with promise like Joao who Sheffield Wednesday purchased in the summer.

re Chris Martin question 

Who's Man City's replacement for Aguero?

Real's for Ronaldo? 

Barca's for Messi? 

You don't replace your best players. How can you. 

You can either get an inferior likeness, a complete alternative or someone better. 

Gutted! I saw Mel, PC, Vicars and then the finance bloke and then somebody turned up at the house to fetch a fish tank I was selling and by the time we had shifted it all it had bloody fin-ished :angry: I hope they stick it on youtube or the O/S.

FTFY

Archived