Very encouraged we seem to be Strenghening this window

Curtains

The second batch you listed there barely added anything. Bamford wasn't even a starter a lot of the time, Whitbread barely played, Keane? You could forget he ever played here, Cisse had nothing to do with anything and Dawkins did OK. Wisdom is the only one that had a big influence. Bamford got some key goals but outside of that did OK.

You've completely proved my point with that list of players, they came in but we did no better at all. We'd have been just as good playing u21s half the time. Why did we implode? Oh yes the coach had his head turned, started misusing players and everyone lost confidence in him. Shocker.

Look at this way, all the teams that finish top 2 have been very lucky with injuries the last few seasons. Burnley managed to go the whole season with that tiny squad and went up. We have more depth than most clubs yet keep failing, now tell me how do you reason we need stacks of players when the first choice 11 can't even get a win?

Think about it.

I thought Keane did ok while Keogh was injured, up until the Leicester game obviously. 

Bamford scored vital point saving and winning goals too.

Agree with the need to get the best out of what we've got, a big squad is impossible to keep happy without loads of cash.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryson hasn't been anywhere near good enough for over a year, and the fact that we're about to spend a fortune on Butterfield indicates that no-one at the club thinks anything has changed.

He got his big payday out of us, well done him.

Appreciate we have injures in midfield, but surely it's time for consistency and continuity both in players and formation. The second half of the Brum game was very encouraging. Why change it?? Hope Paul eventually finds his best 11 and formation soon.

Appreciate we have injures in midfield, but surely it's time for consistency and continuity both in players and formation. The second half of the Brum game was very encouraging. Why change it?? Hope Paul eventually finds his best 11 and formation soon.

Because 2 of our midfielders back from injuries.

welcome 

great username by the way.

give over - DEL isn't clueless, a player hardly ever goes onto the starting 11 straight after a lengthy injury. Fitness levels wont be the same or as high as Hendrick, Hanson or Butterfield (if he joins).

unless I'm mistaken Bryso was injured pre season but lo n behold first game of the season at Bolton he was in n Jeff was on the bench , that tells me pc fancies him ahead of Jeff 

if Butterfield joins don't think Bryson will get straight back in.

Thorne Hendrick Butterfield as the three on midfield, with Ince Russell and martin as the forward three. Decent strength as well with Bryson and Hanson as back ups.

I think that Bryson offers more than Hendrick from an offensive/creative perspective, but perhaps less from a defensive/destructive perspective.

Saying that, Jeff went into half a dozen 50:50 situations against Leeds and won precisely none of them.

Bryson hasn't been anywhere near good enough for over a year, and the fact that we're about to spend a fortune on Butterfield indicates that no-one at the club thinks anything has changed.

He got his big payday out of us, well done him.

I think you are being a little harsh on Bryson to be fair as it was pretty clear that he was told to play a more conservative role last season.  What we need is  Bryson unleashed again!

I think you are being a little harsh on Bryson to be fair as it was pretty clear that he was told to play a more conservative role last season.  What we need is  Bryson unleashed again!

I doubt that will happen under Clement.

My concern is that the squad strengthening seems to be somewhat random. I'm not convinced the gaffer knows, or is even close to knowing, his best XI or the most suitable formation and tactics. 

Not random at all 

Dynamic I'd say today  .

Onwards and Upwards  

At the end of last season I thought the main priorities this transfer window were to bring in decent cover for Martin (someone better than Sammon), make sure we still had decent cover for Thorne (not Mascarell), and find a replacement for Christie (someone like Brayford would have been good enough for me).

We’ve improved the squad this transfer window but we still look overly dependent on Martin and Thorne remaining fit this season.

Don't think we are now with someone like Johnson, the lad loves a tackle.

Yes he doesn't play deep but with the style of football under Clement we don't need a deep defensive mid IMO. The team are playing more disciplined so the need isnt so great.

Pleased to have a hard hitter in the middle, home and Hanson could leave some opponents battered and bruised, just hope today's signings don't limit Hanson's game time and subsequent learning.

Archived