Very encouraged we seem to be Strenghening this window

Curtains

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a first time manager who is learning the job - how to pick a team/formation, how to man-manage, how to rotate etc etc... and the moment this group of players that he is just getting to know is under performing no question.

Currently,  he has 2/3 players coming back from injury, he has plenty of players already thinking 'why am I not getting more game time' (Bent, Dawkins, Sswankambo, Christie, Pearce), he has several players who are looking rusty and I would hope will still improve with more coaching/game time/right formation (Ince, Thorne, Martin, Weimann). 

Therefore, I'm still not convinced what is needed in this scenario is more players, more dilemmas and more permutations. He needs to settle on a team, and formation and use his enormous coaching experience to get more out of the players.  

Worried if it appears we don't have a clear plan/formation yet, and instead of looking at straight swap/upgrades in personnel if available, we're more trying to just add more numbers for the sake of it. 

We have a first time manager who is learning the job - how to pick a team/formation, how to man-manage, how to rotate etc etc... and the moment this group of players that he is just getting to know is under performing no question.

Currently,  he has 2/3 players coming back from injury, he has plenty of players already thinking 'why am I not getting more game time' (Bent, Dawkins, Sswankambo, Christie, Pearce), he has several players who are looking rusty and I would hope will still improve with more coaching/game time/right formation (Ince, Thorne, Martin, Weimann). 

Therefore, I'm still not convinced what is needed in this scenario is more players, more dilemmas and more permutations. He needs to settle on a team, and formation and use his enormous coaching experience to get more out of the players.  

Worried if it appears we don't have a clear plan/formation yet, and instead of looking at straight swap/upgrades in personnel if available, we're more trying to just add more numbers for the sake of it. 

I'm beginning to think we needed a manager who hit the ground running and not take 5-46 games to learn. I hope I'm wrong though. 

This is what makes me laugh, people saying he is learning how to pick a team, formations, tactics etc etc etc, like he has never had to do it, I can guarantee he will have picked teams with Carlo, he would have put his ideas forward to him and Carlo will have gone for it. Likewise he would have spoken to players as to why they aren't in the team. It is like people think all ge has done is put cones out at his previous clubs.

You say he doesn't know his strongest 11 or what formation to use, I would say he does and hasn't had the chance to field his strongest 11 so far bar 20 mins at Bolton. He hasn't really had the chance to start the same 11 2 games running through injury bar Charlton-Boro where he made 2 changes, 1 down to Russell having a poor game and the other to have Warnock in for his experience. He changed from Birmingham team as he was fielding close to what is his best 11 in the formation he wants to play.

He cant play the same 11 if players are injured. And when those players return from injury they should return to the team if they are better than the players that have replaced them.

I'd rather effectively coach what we've got right now, get a good loan CM and leave it at that. Look at the squad that got us a record point haul, coaching was the answer, not money.

Wrong we had numerous loans .

Ibe ,Mascarell, Ince ,Best, Bent ,Thorne ,Cisse , Keane the other guy from Man U on the wing Whitbread and Christie permanent etc etc 

Yes but seriously we have the nucleous of a promotion winning team .

Just needs fine tuning with a few additions today and then watch us go go go up that league. 

We have zero creativity in midfield, and haven't had since the 33rd minute of the first game this season. Hughes was the glue that held Derby County together on the field, and I very much doubt that there is anybody out there in our price range who could hold it together in the same way. Now I don't know whether that means that we need a completely different approach or not.

We have zero creativity in midfield, and haven't had since the 33rd minute of the first game this season. Hughes was the glue that held Derby County together on the field, and I very much doubt that there is anybody out there in our price range who could hold it together in the same way. Now I don't know whether that means that we need a completely different approach or not.

No I don't think we need a different approach but a few positions need strengthening .

Bent and Martin need help so I'd address that problem  with anothe CF 

We need another midfielder so I'd address that problem with another creative midfielder and Bryson coming back is a bonus  as a box to box man  .

Thats all it requires IMO .

Coaching is important of course it is but Clement has had 5 league games to assess the team. 

Who would be a football manager. 

This is what makes me laugh, people saying he is learning how to pick a team, formations, tactics etc etc etc, like he has never had to do it, I can guarantee he will have picked teams with Carlo, he would have put his ideas forward to him and Carlo will have gone for it. Likewise he would have spoken to players as to why they aren't in the team. It is like people think all ge has done is put cones out at his previous clubs.

You say he doesn't know his strongest 11 or what formation to use, I would say he does and hasn't had the chance to field his strongest 11 so far bar 20 mins at Bolton. He hasn't really had the chance to start the same 11 2 games running through injury bar Charlton-Boro where he made 2 changes, 1 down to Russell having a poor game and the other to have Warnock in for his experience. He changed from Birmingham team as he was fielding close to what is his best 11 in the formation he wants to play.

He cant play the same 11 if players are injured. And when those players return from injury they should return to the team if they are better than the players that have replaced them.

To me that's like saying I'm an amazing driver, having not taken my driving test or even driven without an instructor with his feet hovering over the pedals all the time....maybe I am but until you go out on your own and hit problems you just don't know.

I hope he does know what team he wants, but that buying 3/4 new players isn't what he needs? Certain things like bringing on Shotton instead of Dawkins, the lack of width, the big gaps between the defence-midfield-Martin mean I'm not convinced he's getting the best of the players, but he needs time and I'm sure he'll get that.

To me that's like saying I'm an amazing driver, having not taken my driving test or even driven without an instructor with his feet hovering over the pedals all the time....maybe I am but until you go out on your own and hit problems you just don't know.

I hope he does know what team he wants, but that buying 3/4 new players isn't what he needs? Certain things like bringing on Shotton instead of Dawkins, the lack of width, the big gaps between the defence-midfield-Martin mean I'm not convinced he's getting the best of the players, but he needs time and I'm sure he'll get that.

Dawkins this  Dawkins that when has he ever done it consistently for us .

Was he available at the end of last season !

Strange a man given the control of club affairs and methods to achieve the boards aim..

C.E.O Sam Rush never gets the blame ,always the staff that he employed.

Clements is working with the players the new system has provided,A manager can take the fall because the ins and outs of playing staff are his responsibility .Under a director of football the new players are a joint decision ,So as i understand it bad

decisions are no ones fault .and like many of you blame and sack the head coach,and move on.

If we sack this guy it would mean,1 Manager and 3 head coaches in 3 seasons.

Should we be looking at the C.E.O. to be responsible.sadly the board own the club and must be trusted to do better next time All is not lost and the new system can work and Sam Rush will be the man.

This season will be exiting ii can feel the pressure.UP THE RAMS 

Wrong we had numerous loans .

Ibe ,Mascarell, Ince ,Best, Bent ,Thorne ,Cisse , Keane the other guy from Man U on the wing Whitbread and Christie permanent etc etc 

Don't think you understood my post, also those loans are from different seasons. Some made little impact as well. The squad that got us so close was mostly built slowly on the cheap and well coached by two different managers.

Don't think you understood my post, also those loans are from different seasons. Some made little impact as well. The squad that got us so close was mostly built slowly on the cheap and well coached by two different managers.

You mean the first McClaren season .

Thorne and Wisdom  Dawkins,and Whitbread and Keane ,Cisse and Bamford were added if my memory serves me right and we finished 3rd but ultimately failed at Wembley  

McClaren had added to Cloughs team which had good players already but the additions made a massive difference  

Coaching did play its part  though of course it did  

The following McClaren season we lost Bamdord and Wisdom and added Ibe ,Lingard ,Christie ,Warnock ,Ince ,Mascarell ,Calero ,Best,Bent , and Raul Albentosa. etc but imploded at the end of the season and finished 8th  

Summing  up coaching is a big part of a teams performance but you need quality players in the right areas and strength in depth for a promotion push  

Archived