Player you are most impressed with so far...

Sam_DCFC_1994

up to his injury Hanson was impressing me. Being the link between defense and DM and the forward 3. Predominantly on the right. I think this is the role Bryson was asked to play last year, and not to make too many forward runs. I think in the little time Hanson has had he was doing it better than Bryson last season.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised by Weimann. He's a central player, Villa fans told us all so plenty of times upon signing him.

If he can't adapt to a wide role, then he will go down as a poor buy considering how much we bought him for. Reminds me of Jamie Mackie in all honestly.

Our defence has been excellent, the fact is we have conceded two goals in 3 games and both had a huge amount of fortune about them especially the Charlton goal. Keogh has been absolutely quality for me and shackell and baird either side of him look assured, as does Carson in goal. 

The front three apart from in patches have looked a little static, the reason we keep playing this continuous sideways and backwards passing is because the front three and I guess Hendrick thus far do not make enough movement. Last night four or 5 times either Thorne or Hanson would have it but all they could do was find each other or a full back because of the lack of movement. 

Therefore the front three, hopefully starting against birmingham, need to start trying to interchange a little more and be a little more creative. Whether this is down to tactics I don't know.

Solid start for me, no defeats, no bad defensive mistakes costing us goals, just need that little extra guile in the final third. Perosonally think the signs are promising as we are in about second gear going forwards and the leagues so called best team barely touched the ball last night.

Impressed- Keogh, Shackell and Thorne

average-

Baird: not done much wrong don't get me wrong but just not set me alight yet.

Martin: maybe a little harsh as our slow build up play hasn't utilised him. took his goal very well vs Charlton

Russell: didn't look himself against Charlton but a good goal last night.

unimpressed- 

Hendrick: seriously looks uninterested at times. 

Impressed- Keogh, Shackell and Thorne

average-

Baird: not done much wrong don't get me wrong but just not set me alight yet.

Martin: maybe a little harsh as our slow build up play hasn't utilised him. took his goal very well vs Charlton

Russell: didn't look himself against Charlton but a good goal last night.

unimpressed- 

Hendrick: seriously looks uninterested at times. 

he's got a court case over his head which could carry a jail sentence. Bit distracting that.

Apart from last night, Thorne has been getting back to his best, quicker than I thought he would and he's not shirking a tackle.

Keogh has been almost faultless so far, batter than Shackell for me, so I'd say Shackell hasn't got up to speed yet (very little pre-season)

When they've played I think Hanson and Forsyth have been very good also.

Weimann and Bent not got going yet and Ince has been a bit subdued.

But, it's bloody early yet.

Possibly carson

shackell was bound to be good.

thorne was superb v charlton

baird looks solid

keogh playing well

fozzy had a good game v charlton

russell is showing his value despite what i-Ram says

hanson did well

its the others who need to up their games.

Keogh, Thorne, Shackell, Carson and Baird so far.

None of the attackers deserve a mention, although you could argue that it's not totally their fault. 

Ince, Weimann, Martin and Russell are all very good players, but the current game plan or system is just completely failing them.

Clement needs to do a hell of a lot more to get the most out of the attackers he has at his disposal. Conor Sammon looks better suited to his game plan than Ince at the minute. 

TobyWanKenobi

Impressed: Carson, Hanson, Thorne, & Shackell

Honourable mention goes to Ssewankambo for a good debut, hope he gets another chance.

Dissapointing thus far: Grant, Ince, Weimann, Baird, & Clement.

I'm away, so I missed 'boro, but what I've seen at Bolton and on the box, Russell has been our liveliest threat in a fairly disappointing forward line. Scored. Surprised at the disappointing tag some are giving him.

It's all about Thorne and Shacks plus Keogh isn't it?

Seems to be a theme..

Impressed: Keogh and Carson.

Disappointing: Ince, Weimann and Russell.

The forwards need the ball - and to achieve that, they need a midfield that are on the pitch, not the treatment table.

Archived