Birmingham City v Derby County

Mafiabob

Think it is just me saying that he should have done better. He got his angles wrong, that is all, a mistake, don't wanna crucify him or owt.

I think if it was Grant in goal though, quite a few would ve saying the same, he shouldn't be beat at his near post from there.

I can't criticise any goalkeeper for that goal - even if it had been Grant. The ball was clearly going to his right, so his weight would have been on his left foot. The deflection took the ball into the one place where he had less chance of saving it.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't criticise any goalkeeper for that goal - even if it had been Grant. The ball was clearly going to his right, so his weight would have been on his left foot. The deflection took the ball into the one place where he had less chance of saving it.

I agree with that to a point but Gleeson was so far out and when it hit Baird it was still a fair distance out, he would have said it if he wasn't so central. It isn't a big deal, it happens sometimes, I am not criticising him, just think he could have done better, with slightly better positioning.

how can anybody question johnny russell he was easily derby best attacker last night and he works back all the time did a lot more then ince weimann (when he came on) Martin and bent 

A busy fool?  He had a poor game, looked unfit and made some dreadful choices. I hope he gets back to his pre-injury best soon. Remember?

Couple of things. 

Carson would have seen the shot and start to go to his right. From the point it hits Baird, he wouldn't have been able to see it until it went past Shackell. It then becomes a 16 yard shot that goes right in the corner. A top top keeper may have saved it but it's a long way from being something to be critical of.

There is still a lot of poor decision making going on When to shoot and when to pass and making blind passes. Too elaborate.  

I think one thing to bear in mind is how quickly the ball went into the net. Baird's deflection hardly took any pace off the ball yet it completely changed direction. His back and Shackell's back were probably both obstructing his view. Just unlucky.

I loved the way Carson claimed every cross. Makes the defence's job far easier, especially when, Shackell apart, they aren't very good in the air.

That's one area where Baird scores over Christie, who jumps from the neck up.

Before JR got injured last year he was hands down our best player. He's technically skilled - left and right foot at speed - but what he doesn't have is 'moves' where he burns people with trickery - stepovers, cruyff turns etc. He uses pace to get by but he does use both feet. So technical depends on your definition and for me its the ability to play with both feet at speed. He can do that. Go back and watch Derby v Chelsea last year, and tell me alongside maybe Hughes, he wasn't our best player against them. He's now saved our hides in back to back games and people just have to have a go.

Very enjoyable game and a strong performance from us considering all our injuries. Thought it was blatently obvious that Dawkins should have come on for Baird with about 20 minutes to go, both Baird and Thorne looked shagged. Dawkins coming on in the middle would have given us extra legs and some one willing to get forward, allowing Thorne to sit and soak up any counter attacks.

Hey ho, positive performance and also shows we can adapt to another formation more comfortably than in previous seasons. Although it is telling that when we really started to dominate, it was the old 4-2-3-1 with Martin being the pivot for Russell, Weimann and Ince that was being deployed. Bring on the Weeds!

I don't think you can blame Carson too much, if at all. It's a shot that's hit the lowest point of the right hand corner and it's also took a deflection. 

I'm not saying no keeper in the world could have saved it, but seven times out of 10 that would be put past any keeper in the world. 

He also had two defenders immediately in his eye line of the ball.  

No, you are not saying no keeper in the world could have saved it, you are saying 3 out of 10 would. Not having a go at you Ambitious, perhaps others, but very very few keepers would have saved that. 

Flukey goal - I think Carson did pretty well to get as close as he did.

russell blindness so was wasn't out best attractive player yesterday? U watch the game back mate

Ince was.... And by some distance....

I can't see any reason to hunt for scapegoats at the moment. Last night, their goal was a fluke deflection, we hit the woodwork 3 times. That's just bad luck, in my book.

Couple of things. 

Carson would have seen the shot and start to go to his right. From the point it hits Baird, he wouldn't have been able to see it until it went past Shackell. It then becomes a 16 yard shot that goes right in the corner. A top top keeper may have saved it but it's a long way from being something to be critical of.

There is still a lot of poor decision making going on When to shoot and when to pass and making blind passes. Too elaborate.  

I think one thing to bear in mind is how quickly the ball went into the net. Baird's deflection hardly took any pace off the ball yet it completely changed direction. His back and Shackell's back were probably both obstructing his view. Just unlucky.

I loved the way Carson claimed every cross. Makes the defence's job far easier, especially when, Shackell apart, they aren't very good in the air.

That's one area where Baird scores over Christie, who jumps from the neck up.

He also had two defenders immediately in his eye line of the ball.  

No, you are not saying no keeper in the world could have saved it, you are saying 3 out of 10 would. Not having a go at you Ambitious, perhaps others, but very very few keepers would have saved that. 

Flukey goal - I think Carson did pretty well to get as close as he did.

I can't see any reason to hunt for scapegoats at the moment. Last night, their goal was a fluke deflection, we hit the woodwork 3 times. That's just bad luck, in my book.

I just want to reiterate, I thought Carson played very well, he made some very good saves. I am not saying it his fault we conceded, I am not blaming him for the goal. I am just saying that I think he could have had a better starting position, he was too central in his goal, he possibly should have been covering his near post a little more, just 1 step, maybe 2. He will look at it and possibly (hoping for my sake :ph34r:) think he was slightly out of position.

Again, not looking to blame him, not scapegoating (is that even a word :lol:) Carson, just offering an opinion on my take on the goal.

Dear god

we saw two teams going for it, hell for leather, for 90 minutes. It was like a jim watt fight. Tremendous effort. Some great passing. Derby coming back to dominate away after birminghams bright start. A really enjoyable match......

and yet all this ****** and nick picking and criticising this player and that player.

Ffs. 

So good to see Thorne back and having a run of games. Yesterday wasn't his best performance but he still influenced the game massively. And that last ditch tackle that won the ball which ended up leading to the goal was just incredible. The one criticism of Thorne I could have is his shooting. It's good he's confident enough to have a shot (something our forwards should try more often) but most of them have gone so far wide :lol:

This is my first post on the site although i have been following and scanning the posts for a few years now , so i thought i would get involved. I thought it was a cracking game of football last night and could have gone either way ,although we definately had the upper hand and our possesion was superb.

There is no need to push the panic button and although the team is progressing well , there are a couple of weeknesses that will be adressed in the next few weeks and months im sure and this team will come good by the end of the season and we will be in a strong position post xmas.

Give PC a chance to get going and with a couple of tweaks to the team im sure we will all be arguing about the playoffs or automatic promotion come the end of the season.

There aint many better than us in the championship imo,so chin up and give them and PC a proper chance(first win will be against Leeds next week)

This is my first post on the site although i have been following and scanning the posts for a few years now , so i thought i would get involved. I thought it was a cracking game of football last night and could have gone either way ,although we definately had the upper hand and our possesion was superb.

There is no need to push the panic button and although the team is progressing well , there are a couple of weeknesses that will be adressed in the next few weeks and months im sure and this team will come good by the end of the season and we will be in a strong position post xmas.

Give PC a chance to get going and with a couple of tweaks to the team im sure we will all be arguing about the playoffs or automatic promotion come the end of the season.

There aint many better than us in the championship imo,so chin up and give them and PC a proper chance(first win will be against Leeds next week)

FTFY. No need to shout. Welcome to the madhouse.

Archived