68% possession according to the BBC

Uptherams

Bolton it was 57% and Portsmouth 60%. For a new manager (1st time manager) with a host of new players that is exceptional. That is the foundation for a very good side to begin and build upon. Just need to remain tight and reliable as a defensive unit and let our attacking play blossom. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good possession today with a lot of it in the Charlton half. Pinged it about quickly and mostly accurately with players looking to receive it.

It's such a promising sign for me so early on. We can be sure that he will have the lads working on what we do in the final third. Thorne was great, but the passing from everyone else has improved considerably. 

The stats are very encouraging: 68.4% possession on WhoScored: http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958450/MatchReport/England-Championship-2015-2016-Derby-Charlton

They also have:

725 passes (Charlton 337)

40% of the game was played in the Charlton third and only 18% in the Derby third.

The only negative is that Johnny Russell's average position on the field was pretty much the same as Forsyth's, behind Hendrick and level with Jamie Hanson. On the other wing, Ince was our furthest forward player.

Thorne had 125 touches and Hanson had 75 before he was subbed off.

While the only stat that counts is goals scored versus goals against, at this stage I'm more interested in performances than points. If we get the performance right the points will come. And these stats are indicative of a very strong and dominant performance.

Very good performance today I thought. Only thing that let us down was our finishing, which is perhaps to be expected this early in the season. Not sure what the bloke behind me was moaning about... "number 2's never make good managers". Think I even heard a boo when their goal went in?!?!

Shame about the flukey deflection, I don't think they would have scored if we had played another 90 minutes. I'd say today's performance was professional. I thought we offered enough going forward whilst being sensible on the ball, without holding on to possession just for possessions sake.

Possession stats are misleading. You're always likely to dominate the ball more - especially at this level and at home - when you're chasing the game and the opposition are happy to counter.

There were games last season where we won comfortably enough but had lmuch less possession, because we were seemingly happy to give it away.

Of course, over the past few years we've developed a team who for most games will have more possession. But our highest stats this season will always be when we're chasing rather than winning.

Possession stats are misleading. You're always likely to dominate the ball more - especially at this level and at home - when you're chasing the game and the opposition are happy to counter.

There were games last season where we won comfortably enough but had lmuch less possession, because we were seemingly happy to give it away.

Of course, over the past few years we've developed a team who for most games will have more possession. But our highest stats this season will always be when we're chasing rather than winning.

booooooo

Was about to say what Bris said pretty much. Possession is about context really

But yesterday all our possession had a purpose. That was impressive. At 0-0 we moved the ball along the back line quickly and by the time a full back had the ball the winger was able to receive the ball in space. There was urgency throughout. 

Measured urgency in the first half and then a pretty full on assault at 1-0 down. 

Think possession should be accidental. If players are set up well and are decent footballers then they should have passing options and naturally find their targets. 

Didn't think the set up at Bolton gave them enough options. And they moved the ball so casual that Bolton had time to light a cigar before settling into shape. Possession like that I'd rather see when we're cruising to a win

Yesterday though. Bravo. Very good. 

The significant things was that for those nervous about Clement's capabilities, he got things right yesterday and putting aside the possession figure ( and not because it is insignificant ) what we saw many of the players actually do and the way we played as a team was excellent.

The most disappointing thing for me was Johnny Russell - he was no better than at the end of last season when we depended on him a lot. His final ball , his decisions were often poor.

I dunno whether I'm being pessimistic but I wasn't overly impressed yesterday. We had 68% possession AND 27 shots yet only managed 6 efforts on target. That isn't good enough surely? It felt like the majority of the possession was Thorne - Keogh - Shackell playing it between each other and we didn't really create a clear cut chance bar maybe the Hendrick one that was cleared. 

I saw enough to be confident that we have more to offer but as a stand alone performance in our first home game of the season it was pretty average. 

Tuesday night we need:

-To bring Martin into the game much more

-To get Dawkins back in the XI as he's the closest player we've got in terms of style (not necessarily ability) to Hughes.

-To put the possession to good use by testing their keeper a lot more. 

It's gonna be an interesting one, they're clearly off to a flyer after a dull first game where as we are yet to get going, more likely the continuity from last season due to the same manager and mainly same squad. I'd rather this game had come in October when our team should have gelled but it is what it is. COYR

I dunno whether I'm being pessimistic but I wasn't overly impressed yesterday. We had 68% possession AND 27 shots yet only managed 6 efforts on target. That isn't good enough surely? It felt like the majority of the possession was Thorne - Keogh - Shackell playing it between each other and we didn't really create a clear cut chance bar maybe the Hendrick one that was cleared. 

I saw enough to be confident that we have more to offer but as a stand alone performance in our first home game of the season it was pretty average. 

Tuesday night we need:

-To bring Martin into the game much more

-To get Dawkins back in the XI as he's the closest player we've got in terms of style (not necessarily ability) to Hughes.

-To put the possession to good use by testing their keeper a lot more. 

It's gonna be an interesting one, they're clearly off to a flyer after a dull first game where as we are yet to get going, more likely the continuity from last season due to the same manager and mainly same squad. I'd rather this game had come in October when our team should have gelled but it is what it is. COYR

Martin had 4 clear chances. The cross from Baird that the defender got on the end of. Then the Ince pull back. He got his goal and then had a chance right at the end. Shots on target stats don't reflect how close you come to scoring. Out of those 4 Martin chances I listed, only 3 he managed an effort and only 2 were on target. One being the goal. Yet all 4 on another day could have easily been goals. 

I am sick of the Dawkins love in. People say we need him to keep possession. We clearly do not. Who should we drop to accommodate him? Hanson...He could have brought Dawkins on Yesterday and didn't. We are also in the market for another forward. It doesn't look like he thinks Dawkins is the answer. I can tell you this, Bennett got put back into the U21 side but is exactly what we needed to break through them yesterday. A direct physical player. 

https://twitter.com/champstat shows just how dominating we were. Charlton registered 45 clearances, 18 interceptions and 13 blocks yesterday - more defensive actions than any other Championship club #CAFC

People look into shots on target too much. What's closer? A 30 yard pass to the center of the goal or a 1v1 that goes an inch wide? 

Weimann and Russell went close to scoring and neither counted as a shot on target. Hendrick had a shot from inside the box that was blocked by a defender but that was a good chance that won't count as a shot on target. 

Also I don't think you'll find many teams that made over 200 passes in the attacking 3rd like we did. 

If you're not impressed by yesterdays performance I'm not sure what will impress you. 

27 shots, 14 corners, over 200 passes in the final third and 68% possession. That'll do me. Do that every week and you won't draw or lose many.

Archived