4-3-3 / Glenn Murray / Potential summer mistakes?

Bris Vegas

With news that Glenn Murray has reportedly become available at Crystal Palace, I wrote an article as why he - or a player of his ilk - should have been the first signing made and how our summer transfer business could turn out to be a big mistake.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/10/analysis-why-crystal-palace-striker-glenn-murray-would-be-the-pe/

What do you think?

Again I had time restraints so couldn't go into as much detail as I would have liked, but you know by now my views on why the diamond formation doesn't get the best out of our star players and how Darren Bent doesn't add to the collective game.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought If we didn't have the injuries in the first half... The game was tailor made for Darren Bent... He would have murdered them getting in behind them... Cest la vie

I think the 4 3 3 in the past has served us well, and been successful.

I also think that we should back the managements change of approach, and I agree we require more than one formation over 40 odd fixtures, who's to say we don't play the 4 3 3 over the majority of the season?

Can't see Murray coming to us as second fiddle to Martin, although the option would be nice.

Also something to consider, how would we cope if the Hughes and Bryson injuries had been Martin and Murray on Saturday?

I was wondering about Frazier Campbell too and we do lack someone who is both strong AND fast. where is he now and how old is he ?

As to Glenn Murray .. well yes I can see the point but do we really need another player in their early 30's ? I think it might move the balance too far toward the experience end of the balance when perhaps we need some youthful energy up top. ?

You could have copied and pasted, it's just I added graphics and the last time I tried to publish the graphic on here it didn't work.

For what it's worth, Glenn murray would drop down here as I can't see anyone else taking him on. 12 months ago he was shipped out to Reading on loan.

He would have been an excellent signing, whereas Darren Bent will IMO turn out to be anything but.

It wasn't a moan anyway, it was highlighting a potential error from our recruitment team and the coach - if he agreed to the signings and was keen to revolutionise instead of improving what was already in place.

Clement said he watched us many times and knew the squad inside out. If that was the case, he would have known our midfielders are poor in a midfield two, our fullbacks (if shotton and Warnock) don't get forward, Bent contributes little to the collective and Martin is far better upfront in his own.

Surely if he had studied us carefully, he would have known that? He's taking a big gamble IMO

I would have sat on the article for a while Bris, I'm no fan of this diamond but championing 4-3-3 when we have just lost 2 midfielders, still awaiting news on how long they are out for, then suggesting we go grab Murray who Palace rejected a bid of £3m for last week?

I would argue we might not have the players available for this formation and that's the area we should be looking at if both Bryson and Hughes are out for a long time. Bent has come in and proven he can still score goals, your dislike for him is obvious but blowing over £3m on a striker now would a very silly move especially when you take into account Thorne's injury history.

For me, and this all depends on Bryson and Hughes but I would be looking at bringing in Bridcutt on loan and going with 4-2-3-1, this would allow us to incorporate Ince, Weimann and Russell which would be a frightening trio for any team to play.

I really dislike 4-4-2, too rigid and flat for us to play how we play and too much space is given outside with a diamond without Christie and Forsyth playing and Baird is first choice RB Ns even then gaps are left in defence when the full backs bomb on

4-2-3-1 for me, I love it, it's just right, there's no gaps of space, players available all over the pitch, good going forward, good defensively, it's fluid and suits our players and our play style, 4-3-3 is okay, much better than 4-4-2 but I would prefer 4-2-3-1, it's been suggested so much on this forum I'm surprised it hasn't been added to the swear filter!

I really dislike 4-4-2, too rigid and flat for us to play how we play and too much space is given outside with a diamond without Christie and Forsyth playing and Baird is first choice RB Ns even then gaps are left in defence when the full backs bomb on

4-2-3-1 for me, I love it, it's just right, there's no gaps of space, players available all over the pitch, good going forward, good defensively, it's fluid and suits our players and our play style, 4-3-3 is okay, much better than 4-4-2 but I would prefer 4-2-3-1, it's been suggested so much on this forum I'm surprised it hasn't been added to the swear filter!

Boro 14/15, concede very few, and enough quality to score.

Archived