Hughes

MuespachRam

His injury will also be the making of him. In particular he has time in which he can focus on building his upper body strength. He is a bright lad. He knows his weaknesses and I don't doubt for one second that he won't take this opportunity to focus on them. 

He needs to be careful though - Miles Addison bulked up so much while he was out injured that he lost a lot of mobility.  Hughes doesn't need to bulk up that much, he really doesn't get knocked off the ball very often anyway.  He's got a good first touch and good balance that he can play his way out of most contact.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just relieved that it's not season ending like it was speculated on here by a few "ITK's". Should have him back for the run in, and hopefully make a big impact 

ACL injuries are hard to call 6 months can quickly become 9-12 and vice versa.  You've also got to take into account time building back up to match fitness.  You may see Hughes return for the last 10-15 games of the season but likely limited to sub appearances and the odd start. Or he could have a really quick recovery and be back in January/February for sub appearances and be a regular starter before the season is out.  

Best to assume you won't see him for the season because it's so unpredictable.  You have a lot of depth so should cope?  If not then a season long loan's probably your best bet because of the unpredictable nature of the injury period.

Just speaking from experience, we've had 4 ACLs at Burnley in the last year and a half alone.

Hate to see any player suffer a long term injury, especially such a young player, best of luck for his recovery.

ACL injuries are hard to call 6 months can quickly become 9-12 and vice versa.  You've also got to take into account time building back up to match fitness.  You may see Hughes return for the last 10-15 games of the season but likely limited to sub appearances and the odd start. Or he could have a really quick recovery and be back in January/February for sub appearances and be a regular starter before the season is out.  

Best to assume you won't see him for the season because it's so unpredictable.  You have a lot of depth so should cope?  If not then a season long loan's probably your best bet because of the unpredictable nature of the injury period.

Just speaking from experience, we've had 4 ACLs at Burnley in the last year and a half alone.

Hate to see any player suffer a long term injury, especially such a young player, best of luck for his recovery.

Yep! But this isn't a reptured ACL, like Thorne, or let's say Marney did, it's a damaged ACL. Still requires surgery, and still requires a lenghy spell on the sideline, but not as severe and is why it's only up to 6 months rather than 9-12 months 

Clement has just said that he's had the operation and that it was successful. 

Won't we only know for sure when he's going through rehab?

I overdid physio too early when I had ACL done and the new one slightly stretched, although the operation worked. Now if I'm not careful the knee can hyperextend.

Mind - Will has got expert sport's physicians, whereas I was strictly General Hospital.....

Best case for Hughes perspective is we are absolutely cruising when he makes his return and we bring him back in really slowly. Worst case, we're only 1 point away from 1st and 8th like last year. From a rehabilitation point of view only it would be better we were lulling in mid-table than be in the middle of a competitive dogfight when he starts to make his return.

Best case for Hughes perspective is we are absolutely cruising when he makes his return and we bring him back in really slowly. Worst case, we're only 1 point away from 1st and 8th like last year. From a rehabilitation point of view only it would be better we were lulling in mid-table than be in the middle of a competitive dogfight when he starts to make his return.

No sweat - 15 points clear when he returns for a cameo to confirm promotion in late March :)

But seriously yeah....we don't want to be hanging on praying for his return to net us crucial points

Archived