Estate pubs...

uttoxram75

Me and my mate stumbled on that kind of place in 2008 I guess. It happened in Birmingham near Digbeth.

We went to the counter and ordered beer for my mate and whisky for me. There were three or four people on the counter and two tables were reserved by some senior citizens. The room (only one) went silent. The older gentleman behind the bar was friendly and produced our orders.

We took our glasses to nearby table and sat. We surveyd the room and sipped our drinks and realized that everybody were staring at us. Silent. After a while they started to talk with each other and kept turning to openly stare at us. When we ordered the second round everybody fell silent again. Then more staring. It wasn't hostile though.

I never felt more like being a monkey in a zoo.

Although with Boycie and Coconut  in pub hopping was close. :D

That pub in Digbeth? Were you and your mate holding hands?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That pub in Digbeth? Were you and your mate holding hands?

ignore him Sissy.

2 strange men walking into a local pub drinking weird stuff isn't anything to worry about around my way.

i live on canal street Manchester by the way

N...are there any still open near you?

You know the ones I mean.

You'd never know it was there unless you live within 300 yards of it.

Certain seats were "taken" even if they're empty.

If a stranger walked in, the pub would suddenly be silent, even the juke box would stop.

People in the bar didn't mix with those in the lounge.

Unless they were fighting.

There's one left in Utch, the Three Tuns. Its relatively sane nowadays compared to the 70's and 80's but still has that "estate" feel to it. You can pop in for the first time in months and know every single person in there.

Are they all food pubs or shut now round your way?

Souns like a perfect description for The Blue Mugge in Leek.

Its not a bad pub or 'owt, but it's definitely got the 'estate pub' / 'league of gentleman' feel about it....

3612013_42370aaf.jpg

Lol yeah - that was an experience. Wellies, pitchforks, the lot!

Remember being in there when a load of young lads arrived on tractors, turned out the staffs young farmers were having a doo... Anyway one of our lot was doing well with this girl who happened to be everyone's cousin and they didn't like it... all ended up outside and a lad got done over with a bird table. Still the first thing we talk about when we bump into eachother.

I used to go in there when I was a young farmer. Had some good times there & used to stay open til early hours, when that was very unusual (and probably illegal). Haven't been in for 20 years now, mind.

Drove to Bamford a few weeks ago & disappointed to see the Marquis of Granby pub had been demolished. It used to be a lovely big place & another good venue for young farmers' do's.

Drive to the doo in your tractor?

reeaaaaly?

no, reaaaaaaaaaly? Surprised it wasn't a pick up with grandpop on the roof holding a shot gun?

TBH, it was pitch black and it's in the middle of nowhere. Grandpa may well have been sitting up on the roof with his shotty for all I know....

Souns like a perfect description for The Blue Mugge in Leek.

Its not a bad pub or 'owt, but it's definitely got the 'estate pub' / 'league of gentleman' feel about it....

3612013_42370aaf.jpg

Been in there a few times after playing football. Always had a decent team there.

49d3379fdab7725e1dd194df500a4ca8.thumb.j

You've all seen it, on the walk from Nottm station, thro the underpass, up the strange Meadows housing estate, then left at the corner.

Yet to meet a Forest fan brave enough to wonder in, never mind a Ram!

You've all seen it, on the walk from Nottm station, thro the underpass, up the strange Meadows housing estate, then left at the corner.

That place is a palace of decorum compared to my dad's first pub, 1967-1968. None of you will have ever gone into a pub like the Queen's Arms, St Annes Well Road, Nottingham. 18 months I lived there, a tough pub on one of the toughest streets in the country and  I could walk up the road on a Saturday night wearing a Derby scarf.

Bloody good job Notts County play in black and white, otherwise I'd have been dead in a week.

I have a vague memory of serious football hooliganism taking place in and around this pub in the late 70's. Its a long time ago and me memory ain't all that but I remember being in a huge mob of Derby giving it the big un outside this pub in 78 or 79.

Might well have been the year the trains coming back from gumpville got smashed up and the emergency cord got pulled before we arrived in Derby station and all the lads piled out the train and ran off over Chaddo sidings....pretty much where the iPro is now actually.

Archived