Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got ourselves another Russell. Runs his socks off. 

from a couple of touches, looks like he has a little bit extra quality possibly than Russell. But certainly won't hurt to have both to choose from. 

Warnock is so bad. Seem to have similar issues with one pass leaving a man behind the whole midfield to turn and run at defence. Silly goal to concede. 

Look decent going forward. Just a little rusty. 

Oh really. He looks twice the player Pearce is. Doing very well.

I'll be surprised if Grant starts the season as number 1.

Why? He's doing fine and was unlucky with that save though.

Half-time thoughts...

Nice to have George back. The composure, vision and comfort in midfield shines through instantly.

Happy with Baird and Weimann in particular. Weimann working his socks off, looks tireless. Already won a couple corners when he had no right to. Can see him being a real handful this season.

Very good test for us. Good side who break fast and have caught us a couple times but we've dealt with. Goal shouldn't have been a goal but never mind. I'd say performance wise we're pretty even. We've had chances to score, could easily be winning rather than them. Hughes and Hendrick being pushed wide by their attacks. They seem to be attacking down our left more, which means Hughes is having to track back into left back position and constantly following to the left flank, or Villarreal's right side. Could leave holes in the middle, but our midfield is narrow and has been for a while.

We're chasing a lot when VCF have the ball. That's good, it'll get our fitness up to match level. In the league we should expect to have more possession in 90% of our matches, so this game is a good chance to build fitness and let a few players have a good 90 minutes.

Even though we're behind, I like what I'm seeing.

We look like we would tear apart a side who would give us more space tonight.

We really don't look too bad in defence either.

You need to be sharp in the final third to get a goal against the opposition of this quality, and we're not yet. That's the difference between the two sides - one of their strikers were ready to pounce on our first mistake.

We look like we would tear apart a side who would give us more space tonight.

We really don't look too bad in defence either.

You need to be sharp in the final third to get a goal against the opposition of this quality, and we're not yet. That's the difference between the two sides - one of their strikers were ready to pounce on our first mistake.

Good summary. We've had the chance to play the ball through on goal two or three times and against sides with weaker defenders who are less positionally aware, that would go through.

Martin had a good chance which reminded me of his goal vs Fulham in the 5-1 win. He cut inside and IMO thought he had more time to shoot. He cut in past the defender and someone was there to nip the ball off his feet.

Archived