The folly of unrestrained criticism of our own players

Rampage

In my whole lifetime I have never seen anyone really benefit from unrestrained criticism, that is, criticism that has no healthy desire to bring about an improvement where relationship and unity is regarded as important. It hit me with some force today that a football crowd can be destructive to a footballer's confidence to a level that I cannot imagine. Fans pay their hard earned cash to watch their p;layers perform and they generally have high levels of expectation to see their team's footballers work hard and  be successful. Derby fans are desperate to see their Club promoted, so the pressure is great. It is easy to say that footballers get high wages so they should be able to cope, so they are there to be complained at if they play badly. Do we need to be careful what we write and shout? I think that we do? Our forum is an advert for who we are and for what we think. What do you think?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon Dawkkins is a talented player who always tries hard. He gives every impression of being a very likable person. He deserves our full support after a year of upset in his personal life. Richard Keogh is  our Captain who was voted into the best team in the championship by his peers. We all make mistakes but is ability is  there for all to see.Everyone knows that central defensive partnerships are vital in football. It seems a long time since we had two settled centre halves in a pairing.  Since Buxton got injured there has been no established partnership.We now need Paul Clement to decide on his best pairing band give them time to settle. If we do not allow this, it seems obvious to me that we will find ourselves adrift of the pacemakers after six or eight games.  i always respond to encouragement rather than to prolonged criticism.

How many season tickets holders on this forum can honestly say there isn't a tw@t within 5 seats of them who gets on their tits? How many sit near someone who you doubt actually whats the club to do well?

Life is full of idiots, Unless you learn to ignore them you will end up a fuzzy little bundle of impotent rage. 

Ignore cretins for their opinion is worthless and debate is pointless.

If we are talking internet/social media criticism then unfortunately thats not gonna go away.

At the match, encourage and get behind the team as much as you can and drown out the neanderthals.who like to give individual players abuse.

Lets have the moaners moaning about the happy clappers this season....:cool:

I moaned when the missus wanted to go shopping.

mow grass

build garden furnurture

shout at dog

shout at daughter #1

shout at dog again

nip to B&Q (no news of Shackell)

listen to daughter#1 and backupdaughter argue. One just makes loud noises

nip to wickes and Asda. 

change door handles. 

shout at missus

apologise to missus

apologise to daughter#1

feel upset that I didn't put backupdaughter to sleep

go on dcfcfans and now apologise to dog

Roll on Bolton. 

mow grass

build garden furnurture

shout at dog

shout at daughter #1

shout at dog again

nip to B&Q (no news of Shackell)

listen to daughter#1 and backupdaughter argue

nip to wickes and Asda. 

change door handles. 

shout at missus

apologise to missus

apologise to daughter#1

feel upset that I didn't put backupdaughter to sleep

go on dcfcfans and apologise to dog

Roll on Bolton. 

Get a grip man. Who wears the trousers in your house.

Hi Mrs Alpha, please let him answer........:D

Get a grip man. Who wears the trousers in your house.

Hi Mrs Alpha, please let him answer........:D

I had to step in. Whenever she puts things together she reads instructions. I'm not having that under my roof. Our roof. Then one thing lead to another. 

Tw@ behind me at Grimsby said after Keogh had made a good pass/clearance "first thing he's done all game".

He must have missed the last 30 minutes where he didn't do much wrong and even did his rampaging gazelle thing to the halfway line.

At the start of last season I was a Keogh critic. After last season I'm not. He is not a good captain unfortunately but he IS an excellent defender. Some of the abuse he gets is truly nonsensical and would be more suited to coming from the mouth of a deluded gump. Just leave the ******* guy be.

I will never really criticize or boo my own players at the ground and will often lose my temper with others that do, I'm sure people who sit round me will vouch for that!

I really don't know why everyone wants to seem to pamper the players though. Are they really that precious that they can't take a bit of criticism on the chin? Kind of understand when people say it is not going to make the players play better but surely this is a reflection of the character of them players? If I do something wrong in my job, which draws criticism, the first thing I want to do is put it right and then secondly try and make sure it does not happen again. I don't just sit there and think 'I've been criticised so I just won't bother trying anymore'. That is the sort of attitude that should lead to people bringing the players wages into the equation.

On the 2 examples that keep on being used:-

Keogh - I have never heard him loudly slated or booed at the matches and if the Twitter trolls are that bad (this is something that I find really pathetic) then just don't go on it.

Dawkins - At the expense of making myself unpopular here, most people have to go through personal trauma during their lives and unfortunately you have to deal with it and get on with things. If it reached the stage where it was affecting him so badly he should have asked for the rest of the season off unpaid. As for the 'we didn't have enough players' what a load of tosh that is.

We have average defenders who are all prone to mistakes that usually result in goals,as fans we have to accept that, and the players deserve the fans constructive criticism they are highly paid grown men.Clement will iron out the mistakes or get rid,when we sign shackell him or baird will be captain,can see Keogh being moved on which is no bad thing good defender but his style of seat of his pants defending is a major fault which I don't think he can eradicate

Happiness is based on being generous and giving out love, praise and being supportive and helpful to others, therefore the folk giving out the unrestrained criticism are probably not happy in life, and therefore think others around them should therefore feel as miserable as themselves. And if they think that behaviour is going to bring them happiness, and create a successful player and create a winning, and feel good factor at their beloved football club, they are deluded and need to open themselves up and take on board the positive behaviour and support of the majority of Derby County Football supporters that want their beloved Derby County Football Club to be a successful club that provides all the happiness in the world to it's beloved supporters. Love your Derby County Football Club and it will love you.

I've been to the BBG, Pride Park, IPRo and many away grounds over the years at different stages in my life, and therefore being in different moods based on personal life circumstances on each visit, but have always believed that getting behind your team can only help it's performance whilst criticising it can only lead to destroying it.

I've been to many home games where our crowd feel nervous, anxious, are quiet vocally and seen our players match our performance. It's up to us to provide a positive feel good factor, as per what The 1884 Group are trying to encourage in all of us, to help enhance "the Derby way", so either get behind and support Derby County Football Club or go shopping instead.

Happiness is based on being generous and giving out love, praise and being supportive and helpful to others, therefore the folk giving out the unrestrained criticism are probably not happy in life, and therefore think others around them should therefore feel as miserable as themselves. And if they think that behaviour is going to bring them happiness, and create a successful player and create a winning, and feel good factor at their beloved football club, they are deluded and need to open themselves up and take on board the positive behaviour and support of the majority of Derby County Football supporters that want their beloved Derby County Football Club to be a successful club that provides all the happiness in the world to it's beloved supporters. Love your Derby County Football Club and it will love you.

I've been to the BBG, Pride Park, IPRo and many away grounds over the years at different stages in my life, and therefore being in different moods based on personal life circumstances on each visit, but have always believed that getting behind your team can only help it's performance whilst criticising it can only lead to destroying it.

I've been to many home games where our crowd feel nervous, anxious, are quiet vocally and seen our players match our performance. It's up to us to provide a positive feel good factor, as per what The 1884 Group are trying to encourage in all of us, to help enhance "the Derby way", so either get behind and support Derby County Football Club or go shopping instead.

Kumbayah my lord Kumbayah!

Anyone moaning today just doesn't get the point of pre season. 

Yet Bris chooses to blow it out of all proportion with his 'article'.

Archived