The folly of unrestrained criticism of our own players

Rampage

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tw@ behind me at Grimsby said after Keogh had made a good pass/clearance "first thing he's done all game".

He must have missed the last 30 minutes where he didn't do much wrong and even did his rampaging gazelle thing to the halfway line.

At the start of last season I was a Keogh critic. After last season I'm not. He is not a good captain unfortunately but he IS an excellent defender. Some of the abuse he gets is truly nonsensical and would be more suited to coming from the mouth of a deluded gump. Just leave the ******* guy be.

even worse are posters on here who hate keogh and want him gone, but claim they never abuse nor shout at him at games. 

It is non sensical and the total, joint effort support last season was awful for last 12 games 

will "fans" learn ? 

Back on topic - I watched the SSN highlights and certainly for the second goal what appeared to be the case was that Keogh was directing Shotton where to go and was being ignored as Shotton simply ran towards the ball (that Keogh was covering) rather than the free player to who the ball was passed.

If Keogh is trying to organise but is being ignored then i am not sure what more he could legitimately do, but i am hopeful PC will be playing that video back and working with his defenders on organisation.

Constructive criticism needs a few elements - a statement of fault, a diagnosis (how fault arose) and a credible alternative offered. Simpy stating eg "was s***e" is not enough.

A couple of trippels in a bar in Brussels and I had forgotten my name, had fallen in love with a stool leg and was on the verge of soiling myself.

Quadrupels??? Respect mate!

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupels cost around £2-50 a bottle including postage, delivered to your door (provided you buy 24 at a time). Just ask my mate Kurt....

https://belgiuminabox.com/shop/dark/2844-brugse-staffe-hendrik-triplebier-9-075-l.html#.VaJ00OnbLIU

Remember, practice makes perfect.

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupels cost around £2-50 a bottle including postage, delivered to your door (provided you buy 24 at a time). Just ask my mate Kurt....

https://belgiuminabox.com/shop/dark/2844-brugse-staffe-hendrik-triplebier-9-075-l.html#.VaJ00OnbLIU

thats a great site bringing back many (partial and hazy) memories. I'm intriged by the possibility of bottled bush blonde...

thats a great site bringing back many (partial and hazy) memories. I'm intriged by the possibility of bottled bush blonde...

I order no more than 2 cases of beer a month from there. Everything in moderation...

Interesting post. Personally I expect to see a minimum level of effort and coordination as a unit. The final 3rd was so poor last year that the criticism was  warranted. Have never understood the people who go to the games to moan however. Players getting a hammering in the first 5 minutes is ridiculous. Fortunately we don't appear to have many in here!

even worse are posters on here who hate keogh and want him gone, but claim they never abuse nor shout at him at games. 

It is non sensical and the total, joint effort support last season was awful for last 12 games 

will "fans" learn ? 

almost as bad as the people that hang out his arse no matter what he does wrong. :-)

almost as bad as the people that hang out his arse no matter what he does wrong. :-)

Smiley noted…but there's really no equivalence. Haters usually hate a particular player or manager much more frequently and intensely than their supporters tend to support.

Smiley noted…but there's really no equivalence. Haters usually hate a particular player or manager much more frequently and intensely than their supporters tend to support.

It's more the point that some people can't actually stretch their minds beyond "Ug. Him bad!"

I will never really criticize or boo my own players at the ground and will often lose my temper with others that do, I'm sure people who sit round me will vouch for that!

I really don't know why everyone wants to seem to pamper the players though. Are they really that precious that they can't take a bit of criticism on the chin? Kind of understand when people say it is not going to make the players play better but surely this is a reflection of the character of them players? If I do something wrong in my job, which draws criticism, the first thing I want to do is put it right and then secondly try and make sure it does not happen again. I don't just sit there and think 'I've been criticised so I just won't bother trying anymore'. That is the sort of attitude that should lead to people bringing the players wages into the equation.

On the 2 examples that keep on being used:-

Keogh - I have never heard him loudly slated or booed at the matches and if the Twitter trolls are that bad (this is something that I find really pathetic) then just don't go on it.

Dawkins - At the expense of making myself unpopular here, most people have to go through personal trauma during their lives and unfortunately you have to deal with it and get on with things. If it reached the stage where it was affecting him so badly he should have asked for the rest of the season off unpaid. As for the 'we didn't have enough players' what a load of tosh that is.

(A) Did any player stop trying? Really? They played badly, but can you name me a player who didn't try?

(B) I sit in the East Stand and I could hear comments, groans and boos from the West Stand. I'm sure he and others could hear them. He was slagged off to the extent that he responded to the crowd. Something that i've seen only a handful of times in 40 years of following Derby.

(C) I'm not surprised that you say you are making yourself unpopular. That was an appalling thing to say. People's work often gets affected at a time of stress and personal upheaval, they just aren't having every move watched and commented on by 30,000 people. I can't believe you really think that people whose performance in the workplace is diminished by personal problems should have to take unpaid leave. Those are Victorian values. .

Football is a confidence game, yes they are well paid but also human and the poisonous atmosphere would have hindered most players. The most hideous example was the booing at the end of the first half v Reading. When we had played pretty well but couldn't score. We as fans didn't deserve promotion last year. 

(A) I only think there was one player who's effort I would call into question and that was Johnny Russell. I was referring to other people's comments that criticising a player will make their performance worse.

(B) The moans and groans are no worse than what other players have had to put up with since I have been watching football (30 years) in fact it is not that long ago some players had to deal with racial abuse, bananas being thrown at them etc. It just appears that as players wages have gone up they seem to have become more precious and reactive to criticism. Keogh reacting to this is a perfect example of why he is not captain material, he is clearly not capable of focusing and that is often evident in his displays.

(C) Fair enough if that is what you think, it is all a matter of personal opinion. Not sure if you run a business or not, but if so would you be comfortable paying someone for 4 or 5 months whilst they were not working because one of their family was ill?

It's more the point that some people can't actually stretch their minds beyond "Ug. Him bad!"

don't hate the bloke. Just don't rate him. Call me old fashioned but piss to the wind, last ditch blag a challenge defenders ain't my bag. I am sure he is a lovely chap and a considerate lover, but a top 2 cb and a captain...nah. 

Archived