Chris Martin

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the record, I did have to get out of my armchair once to come south to find civilisation. 

Yorkshireman eh?

Playing Bent and Martin together will be a mistake, we'll be taking away everything that's good about Martin's play. 

Playing Bent up top on his own would be a bigger mistake.

Signing Bent was a poor decision and Clement will be under pressure to play him. It will be his biggest task at DCFC from a playing perspective, trying to get the best out of Bent while maintaining good results.

I'd back us for automatic promotion with Martin as a lone striker, but assuming Bent will be in the first-team I think we'll struggle to accomodate him and play well below the potential our squad has.

Yorkshireman eh?

God no Needles.  I am actually a Herefordian, and at 20 I thought which way should I go to find my fortune. I put my nose out of the window to the north and I took in the smell of bitter, assorted meat pies, whippets and pigeon ****. The window to the south brought me wafts of gooseberry and pineapple, the buttery hints of flaked pastry, the essence of fine French perfume and a smell which I didn't really recognise at the time, but what I now know to be wealth. I also found when I got down here that the streets were paved with gold. Lovely.

Playing Bent and Martin together will be a mistake, we'll be taking away everything that's good about Martin's play. 

Signing Bent was a poor decision and Clement will be under pressure to play him. It will be his biggest task at DCFC from a playing perspective, trying to get the best out of Bent while maintaining good results.

I'd back us for automatic promotion with Martin as a lone striker, but assuming Bent will be in the first-team I think we'll struggle to accomodate him and play well below the potential our squad has.

Bent wasn't the reason results didn't go our way last season, that was the rest of the team. 12 goals in 13 starts puts him as one of the best strikers in the league, even better than Martin. Goals ultimately win games so despite not being as technically proficient as Martin with the ball, Bent is an asset to this club, no doubt.

1 striker isn't enough to win the league. Bournemouth had Wilson, Kermogant and Pitman, Watford had Deeney, Vydra, Ighalo and this season we've got: Martin, Bent, Weimann. Now I'd argue that our 3 are better than any of the others and hence competition in the squad will be rife. That helps bring the best out of players when all are fit but also takes the pressure off one individual to perform like Martin was under last season.

Bent's signing, along with Weimann's is only positive!

There you have it, folks.

I always said that Bris should have been taken on as manager.

Just to put this 'Bryson' matter to bed guys. He wasn't flicking the finger at Tom. He was actually flicking it a cameraman out of shot of the video as a bit of fun. 

So there is no issue between them as seems to be implied or anything else. Some of the comments if I'm honest in the past few pages are embarrassing. 

This is how nasty and untrue rumours start. 

The above are facts not fiction 

There you have it, folks.

I always said that Bris should have been taken on as manager.

Teacher, works in a foreign climate, reporter with over 15 million viewers....the boy certainly has the credentials 

That's pretty much my take on it as well.  Bent will certainly be very useful as a player to throw on for the last 20 minutes if we need a goal, always assuming Clement can keep him happy as a sub.  Beyond that, Clement is going to have to try and predict which games are the ones where we struggle to get the ball to Martin's feet and find some way of utilizing Bent instead - presumably by sitting a bit deeper to draw the opposition out, then trying to hit them on the counter.

Bent wasn't the reason results didn't go our way last season, that was the rest of the team. 12 goals in 13 starts puts him as one of the best strikers in the league, even better than Martin. Goals ultimately win games so despite not being as technically proficient as Martin with the ball, Bent is an asset to this club, no doubt.

1 striker isn't enough to win the league. Bournemouth had Wilson, Kermogant and Pitman, Watford had Deeney, Vydra, Ighalo and this season we've got: Martin, Bent, Weimann. Now I'd argue that our 3 are better than any of the others and hence competition in the squad will be rife. That helps bring the best out of players when all are fit but also takes the pressure off one individual to perform like Martin was under last season.

Bent's signing, along with Weimann's is only positive!

Goals don't win you games, scoring more than the opposition does.

Having a solid goal scorer is no good if he disrupts our play in other areas, making us more vulnerable to counterattacks and giving us little options to play the ball out from the back.

Balance, team ethic and a strong unit far outweighs the ability of one goal scorer alone. 

Bent could score 50 goals next season, but his sheer presence in the team will disrupt our rhythm if we try and play possession football out from the back.

Goals don't win you games, scoring more than the opposition does.

Having a solid goal scorer is no good if he disrupts our play in other areas, making us more vulnerable to counterattacks and giving us little options to play the ball out from the back.

Balance, team ethic and a strong unit far outweighs the ability of one goal scorer alone. 

Bent could score 50 goals next season, but his sheer presence in the team will disrupt our rhythm if we try and play possession football out from the back.

I feel that opening sentence is a juxtaposition...       :lol:

Goals don't necessarily win you games, scoring more than the opposition does.

FTFBV

Spot on Bris. 

If we can find a way to integrate Weimann into the team as well, we've got a potentially lethal strikeforce!

And Russell + Ince as well. :thumbsup:

He means scoring in itself doesn't win you games.

There's no doubt he brings you goals, but we play in a very different way with Bent. We lose the ball more easily, and that means the ball comes back at the defence more often, and that means we're more likely to concede.

If you can't see the link Bris is making there, you're being deliberately awkward. I'm not so sure it's going to be as detrimental as he makes out, and I think it's good we've got another way of playing up our sleeves - but come on, it's not like what he's saying doesn't make any sense.

God no Needles.  I am actually a Herefordian, and at 20 I thought which way should I go to find my fortune. I put my nose out of the window to the north and I took in the smell of bitter, assorted meat pies, whippets and pigeon ****. The window to the south brought me wafts of gooseberry and pineapple, the buttery hints of flaked pastry, the essence of fine French perfume and a smell which I didn't really recognise at the time, but what I now know to be wealth. I also found when I got down here that the streets were paved with gold. Lovely.

Hmm. Homosexual eh?

Archived