Chris Martin

DcFc Dyycheee

Question is - can we afford that errant pass risk? The difference between success and failure is the mitigation of that risk; that is why Fozzy is not good enough, - when the stakes are high, the risk is at its' highest and that is when we cannot afford to fail.

Problem is finding a LB that defends as well as him.

He's an awesome Championship defender. There's nothing you can use on him. He's tall, very strong and very fast. He's good in the air and barely ever goes to ground early. 

If he was as good on the ball as he is off it then he'd be playing in the Premier League easy.

I'd be very cautious of replacing him because ive not seen a better defender at left back for a while. He's frustrating and he does sometimes create his own work with lazy loss of possession. But what lb could silence wide players like him. Even against Chelsea he handled it well.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is finding a LB that defends as well as him.

He's an awesome Championship defender. There's nothing you can use on him. He's tall, very strong and very fast. He's good in the air and barely ever goes to ground early. 

If he was as good on the ball as he is off it then he'd be playing in the Premier League easy.

I'd be very cautious of replacing him because ive not seen a better defender at left back for a while. He's frustrating and he does sometimes create his own work with lazy loss of possession. But what lb could silence wide players like him. Even against Chelsea he handled it well.

Even on the ball, he's provided a ridiculous number of assists... moreso in the play-off final season.

I think that risky pass everyone eludes to is something he's told to do. It's a fired forward ball, usually at Chris Martin.

Even on the ball, he's provided a ridiculous number of assists... moreso in the play-off final season.

I think that risky pass everyone eludes to is something he's told to do. It's a fired forward ball, usually at Chris Martin.

I think both fozzy and Christie have it in there locker to be very good fullbacks. Hopefully clement has it in his to get the best out of them. At the start of the season Christie was brilliant, then all of a sudden it was as if his twin brother that had never played football before started turning up. Never seen a player lose the ability like that in matter of weeks. Strangely it seemed to happen just as we signed Shotton

I think both fozzy and Christie have it in there locker to be very good fullbacks. Hopefully clement has it in his to get the best out of them. At the start of the season Christie was brilliant, then all of a sudden it was as if his twin brother that had never played football before started turning up. Never seen a player lose the ability like that in matter of weeks. Strangely it seemed to happen just as we signed Shotton

For all his bad play though, it was quite rare for anyone to dribble past Christie in 1v1's even at the height of his bad form, as you say if Clement can stop his confidence from dipping he's by no means the best RB in the division but he's much further from being the worst. Certainly not bad enough that we'd replace him easily, and as he's young and be inclined to leave him in, develop him so that if we get promoted he has a decent chance of being prem ready.

Similar with Forsyth, but my personal opinion is that Christie has more potential of becoming a premiership level full back than Forsyth does.

you never know. Instead of pure fitness, PC has got the side training with the ball on the deck straight away. 

Good think with clement is that he is a coach so will hopefully help people like forsyth and christie to be able to pass the ball properly

McClaren was also a coach. Clement's probably better. But just pointing it out.

For all his bad play though, it was quite rare for anyone to dribble past Christie in 1v1's even at the height of his bad form, as you say if Clement can stop his confidence from dipping he's by no means the best RB in the division but he's much further from being the worst. Certainly not bad enough that we'd replace him easily, and as he's young and be inclined to leave him in, develop him so that if we get promoted he has a decent chance of being prem ready.

Similar with Forsyth, but my personal opinion is that Christie has more potential of becoming a premiership level full back than Forsyth does.

You don't have to. You just walk behind him and wait for the pass.

You don't have to. You just walk behind him and wait for the pass.

Well you can prove anything with facts, can't you?

Totally agree, if we can get these two (RB, LB) on song then there is no issue. This - only the coach can know. Hence my views from the outside - Fozzy certainly is risky by record; and Christie tends to get it wrong frustratingly when it's in the opponents box. However let's hope the new coach can see what we all have seen at times and this from the inside and coach out these errors,  - which I feel Simmo and Mc should've done and is perhaps why (part reason) they both got sacked. (I am not trying to start a thread on this BTW)

Christie main fault is his lack of footballing judgement.

He holds on to the ball too long both in defence and in attack.

He takes up poor defensive positions.

He makes forward runs at the wrong time. 

He is 22 and has time to improve. If he was this level at 24 I would write him off as a potential PL player or indeed first choice in a top 6 team. 

Christie main fault is his lack of footballing judgement.

He holds on to the ball too long both in defence and in attack.

He takes up poor defensive positions.

He makes forward runs at the wrong time. 

He is 22 and has time to improve. If he was this level at 24 I would write him off as a potential PL player. 

Spot on. One would hope. 

I cannot recall so many threads going off topic - more discipline needed otherwise let's just have a transfer thread and an old fashioned free for all?

In fairness the tangents start quite innocently and it would be easy to stay on topic if anything happened. Of course it won't cos Martin isn't going anywhere, but just making the point.

Archived