Too much too soon ?

Ramant62

Firstly, I very seldom post as you can see from my post count, but I can assure you that I am always on here reading your posts. Surely there cannot be many better football related sites on the net than this one. I think those that run it do a brilliant job, and of course, it wouldn't be as good as it is without the input from fellow rams. I think you all deserve a big pat on the back. Right, down to business. I would like to know what others think about this fantastic revolution going on at our club. We seem to be getting in some very good players thanks to Mel's millions, and I think we have got a steal with the Weimann signing, but surely adding all these new players, as good as they are, is gonna take some time for them to gel and is just as likely to delay our March to the promised land as it is to get us there now. Is top two a step too far for this season, and maybe a much more achievable target for next? There are some very strong teams in this league with established squads who only just missed out last season,e.g. Middlesbrough, who will be there or there abouts again this coming season. I think we all realised that our defence was our biggest problem last season, and one or two players added to it would have got us up. Too much change too soon? I look forward to hearing your views. Cheers COYR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one really knows now what our team will be next year.

we could have too many options. Thats what did for Arthur Cox. He couldn't make his mind up and get a settled team of round pegs in round holes.

i'm beginning to think that the nigel team is ancient history.

i would not be surprised to see bryson, keogh, and bucko all leave.

The thing with transfers is that they can be addictive. Tommy docherty didn't know when to stop. Nor did jim smith.

i think that there will still be plenty more to come.

Unless I've missed something during my absence,it'll be Mel's money and that of the other owners that'll be financing this (unless Mel is to be allowed to up his stake by being the sole financer,and thus giving other investors a break from their long running financial inputs).This may change if there's an official announcement from the club on a change in ownership structure,but unless/until that happens I'll continue to work on the basis of what we currently know.

I agree that a lot of new signings may take time to gel,which was always my concern for 08/09.Unfortunately,in 08/09 a lot of the signings appeared to be poor in relation to wages paid.From what I can gather,whilst promotion will always be the goal,we are operating on the basis of a 3 year plan,so promotion isn't the be all and end all in the early years.

I suspect we are unlikely to see many quick fix, short term loans in this period.What fascinates me is how we are going to introduce youngsters (which also seems to be part of the plan -pointless spending so much on the academy otherwise) with such a strong squad shaping up.Having said that,it's far better to introduce youngsters into a winning side.I'm wondering if a youngster will feature on the bench quite regularly,and maybe given a taste of the action when we appear to have games won. 

Oops,didn't realise this is a duplicate thread.

ramant firstly welcome and apologies to you and everybody else who's profile I appear to be checking out, this is my first attempt at using an iPad and I keep going on users names by mistake.

Anyway, you seem to be suffering from the same thing I suffer from, ie good things don't happen to us, it's all going to go wrong, well, I think there's big changes afoot and good things WILL be happening, so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

I'm leaving all the worrying to Mel and his troops and just focusing on getting behind the lads.

COYR.

Firstly, I very seldom post as you can see from my post count, but I can assure you that I am always on here reading your posts. Surely there cannot be many better football related sites on the net than this one. I think those that run it do a brilliant job, and of course, it wouldn't be as good as it is without the input from fellow rams. I think you all deserve a big pat on the back. Right, down to business. I would like to know what others think about this fantastic revolution going on at our club. We seem to be getting in some very good players thanks to Mel's millions, and I think we have got a steal with the Weimann signing, but surely adding all these new players, as good as they are, is gonna take some time for them to gel and is just as likely to delay our March to the promised land as it is to get us there now. Is top two a step too far for this season, and maybe a much more achievable target for next? There are some very strong teams in this league with established squads who only just missed out last season,e.g. Middlesbrough, who will be there or there abouts again this coming season. I think we all realised that our defence was our biggest problem last season, and one or two players added to it would have got us up. Too much change too soon? I look forward to hearing your views. Cheers COYR

You may well be right.

However, that said, the last two seasons have shown that we weren't good enough to go up (table doesn't lie- regardless of injuries etc). 

We've been on occasion too reliant on loans, which have led to issues- like replacing Wisdom at the end of the previous season and Ibe (who was in great form) halfway through the last season.

So, some things needed to change and I think they are for the better, though who knows if these players will gel as quickly as we need them to? Certainly makes for a very interesting season.

There's certainly been a revolution in the standard of the academy, as for everything else it's more evolution than revolution.

With all the new arrivals on a permanent basis, some players are bound to leave and perhaps we will reduce our reliance on using every loan possible.

What I do like is to see business being done early, so there will be a full pre-season for the new boys to become acquainted with their colleagues.

PistoldPete2

What I do like is to see business being done early, so there will be a full pre-season for the new boys to become acquainted with their colleagues.

agreed. Still two months til transfer window shuts but we've got 5 players already , maybe closing in on others too. 

However, that said, the last two seasons have shown that we weren't good enough to go up (table doesn't lie- regardless of injuries etc). 

This is a view, shared by many, that gets right on my tits. The table measures results, not how good a team is. Results can be effected by numerous variables.

You've also argued against your own point whilst making it. 'The table doesn't lie' - we finished third in 13/14, only three teams go up, so surely this team has shown that it's good enough to go up? 

This is a view, shared by many, that gets right on my tits. The table measures results, not how good a team is. Results can be effected by numerous variables.

You've also argued against your own point whilst making it. 'The table doesn't lie' - we finished third in 13/14, only three teams go up, so surely this team has shown that it's good enough to go up? 

What should the table measure then, if not results? Potential? Number of passes in a season? Number of blondes named William in midfield?

Unfortunately, the rules are if you finish 3rd you go through play offs. The play off final showed that we played really well but ultimately couldn't score against an ageing QPR- so ultimately we weren't good enough.

Bringing in quality experienced players should create no problems ,after all they are still playing the same game .Ok a settling in period and time to adjust may be required ,hence the closed season / now being a good time to introduce new players.I would have more concerns over players such as albentosa who with language ,culture,transition of moving abroad generally require more patience when starting in a new club,but bent ,Ince Carson and the likes should be able to settle straight in .

With regard the number of signings being made ,unless it's not financially viable or they are not considered bettering the squad we should embrace the opportunity .I would like to see signings of players who are likely to continue there development with the club such as Ince,rather than players who are although experienced will not show us a return when we come to replace.

Exactly my point cannable, we nearly got there in 13/14 so do we really need 6,7,8 new players upsetting the balance when two or three in the defence could have made all the difference and kept some continuity.

What should the table measure then, if not results? Potential? Number of passes in a season? Number of blondes named William in midfield?

Unfortunately, the rules are if you finish 3rd you go through play offs. The play off final showed that we played really well but ultimately couldn't score against an ageing QPR- so ultimately we weren't good enough.

At what point did I say results shouldn't be used to measure league standing? 

A league table measures results. You're saying that the league table determines how good a team is. After 46 results we were third in the league. Two wins and one loss following this 46 game run proves that we weren't good enough? 

Manchester City couldn't break Wigan down in the 2013 FA Cup Final. West Brom couldn't break us down in 2007. Chelsea couldn't break Sunderland down earlier on this season, the Premier League Champions. Free-scoring Bournemouth couldn't break Leeds down. Greece won the European Championships! It's football. Freak results are common. 

From the end of last season swop - 

Wiemann for Ward

Baird for Eustace

Pierce for Barker

Bent for Bent

Straight away there's 4 players not adding to the squad at all, only squad addition is Carson.

Still have to replace Lingaard, Ince, and Mascarell, let's say we sign Ince on a permanent and Bridcutt too, leaves the squad at the same number as last season, the quality's increased, not the quantity.

The best thing for me is, we pick up an injury or two, or just need to shake the squad up, we could still dip into the loan market if needed.

If Shackell returns, I'd expect one or two defenders to leave so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Add in the likes of Rawson, Calero and others, that seems pretty decent to me.

There's certainly been a revolution in the standard of the academy, as for everything else it's more evolution than revolution.

Forgive me for asking Rev, but did someone insert a DVD up your arse the day you spent at Moor Farm?

Forgive me for asking Rev, but did someone insert a DVD up your arse the day you spent at Moor Farm?

Blu-Ray as it happens, only the best will do now.

It would've been 4k, but I lack the funds to upgrade my arse to the new format.

Archived