Where are they now?

Mostyn6

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it's an " other football" thread and Sweden cropped up it might interest a few of you to know how the Champions League system of allowing 2/3 from major European football leagues automatic qualification has impacted on us here in Scandinavia and I dare say other smaller footballing nations. 

Basically the Swedish champions each year have to go through qualification games and generally get knocked out by a Milan or La Ligament 4th placed team therefore very rarely making the group stage. This has led to the cherry picking of all junior talent here. Of a recent Sweden U21 game the whole squad was already signed to clubs outside of Sweden. The youngsters know it's highly unlikely they will ever play that level of football signing for a home nation club. Sad really. So the level of top flight league football has imploded too. The days of Gothenburg and Malmö marauding through Europe winning trophies are long gone. 

The recent UEFA outcry against FIFA's greed and corruption washed hollow with me. Pandering to larger football nations big teams in aid of better viewing figures ( after all who wants to watch Helsingborg v Gent) and more money is as FIFAesque as it gets... 

As it's an " other football" thread and Sweden cropped up it might interest a few of you to know how the Champions League system of allowing 2/3 from major European football leagues automatic qualification has impacted on us here in Scandinavia and I dare say other smaller footballing nations. 

Basically the Swedish champions each year have to go through qualification games and generally get knocked out by a Milan or La Ligament 4th placed team therefore very rarely making the group stage. This has led to the cherry picking of all junior talent here. Of a recent Sweden U21 game the whole squad was already signed to clubs outside of Sweden. The youngsters know it's highly unlikely they will ever play that level of football signing for a home nation club. Sad really. So the level of top flight league football has imploded too. The days of Gothenburg and Malmö marauding through Europe winning trophies are long gone. 

The recent UEFA outcry against FIFA's greed and corruption washed hollow with me. Pandering to larger football nations big teams in aid of better viewing figures ( after all who wants to watch Helsingborg v Gent) and more money is as FIFAesque as it gets... 

​I went to see Drogheda v Helsingborg a few years ago.

Mind you, Henrik Larsson was playing.

​I went to see Drogheda v Helsingborg a few years ago.

Mind you, Henrik Larsson was playing.

Larsson is manager at Helsingborg now. Be interesting to see how he does at this level. It's his first job in top flight Swedish football and HIF are a decent sized club over here... 

If he does well then the odds will shorten for him to go back to a certain club in Scotland for sure. 

He was some player.

Larsson is manager at Helsingborg now. Be interesting to see how he does at this level. It's his first job in top flight Swedish football and HIF are a decent sized club over here... 

If he does well then the odds will shorten for him to go back to a certain club in Scotland for sure. 

He was some player.

​'King of Kings', as the Celtic fans said.

Interestingly the Drogheda game was played in Dublin (at Bohemians ground, where Derby played a friendly a couple of years ago), and a couple of hundred Celtic fans came to the match just to pay homage to their former hero - and not all the Dublin-based ones. A few Celtic fans I was talking to afterwards had come over from Scotland - oh how we laughed about Mo Camara - or rather they did, once they realised I was a Derby fan.

​'King of Kings', as the Celtic fans said.

Interestingly the Drogheda game was played in Dublin (at Bohemians ground, where Derby played a friendly a couple of years ago), and a couple of hundred Celtic fans came to the match just to pay homage to their former hero - and not all the Dublin-based ones. A few Celtic fans I was talking to afterwards had come over from Scotland - oh how we laughed about Mo Camara - or rather they did, once they realised I was a Derby fan.

Poor Mo... However, I have seen worse fullbacks play for us! Shocking as that may seem... 

Two questions. Why was that game played at Bohemians ground? And..is Mo still in DCFC employment? Last time I looked he was scouting for us in Europe. 

Mo Camara was harshly judged as a Derby player based on how he struggled once past the halfway line. My opinion is that he was decent for us, and very rarely was an opposition goal as a result of something he did defensively.

Poor Mo... However, I have seen worse fullbacks play for us! Shocking as that may seem... 

Two questions. Why was that game played at Bohemians ground? And..is Mo still in DCFC employment? Last time I looked he was scouting for us in Europe. 

​Drogs' ground just wasn't big enough - it has a capacity of around 2,000 so they shifted their European games to Dalymount Park, which had a capacity of around treble that at the time.

No idea if Mo is still on Derby's scouting team. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived