30 years since promotion from Division 3

The penalty was for "pushing in the wall" on Jeff Chandler.  However, I truly believe that the ref played a blinder and actually gave it for the fact that Dungworth decided to fetch Bobby Davison down one stride outside the box when clean through.  Obviously, he couldn't give the penalty outright, so found a way to even it out, by spotting an infringement.  If we hadn't scored that, we'd have needed to beat Darlington away in our last game. (Which we lost 2-1).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was that season that really started my passion for football. Iwas still young and actually only went to 2 games, the 0-0 at home to Wigan and then the promotion game against Rotherham, however it was the commentaries from Graham Richards that really gave me the buzz.

His commentary for Christie's missed penalty against Doncaster is legendary.

I went to my first game as a kid with my Dad during the fall-out from Tommy Docherty-gate. The Addison/Newman tragedies, so the Division 3 promotion season coincided with my reaching an age of 14/15 when I started going to the match with my mates and we loved it.

I remember the Rotherham game much more clearly than 100s of other games I've seen in recent times. We were crammed in the Popside, tall enough to see, but not big enough lads to command any sort of personal space, everyone going crazy when the penno went in. Then filing out at the end singing "We Are Derby" at the top of our lungs, echoing in the cavity beneath the Ley Stand and each time it came around to the start, it looped again even louder than the last

But hang on - wasn't it May 1986? That's not the 30th anniversary is it?

I went to my first game as a kid with my Dad during the fall-out from Tommy Docherty-gate. The Addison/Newman tragedies, so the Division 3 promotion season coincided with my reaching an age of 14/15 when I started going to the match with my mates and we loved it.

I remember the Rotherham game much more clearly than 100s of other games I've seen in recent times. We were crammed in the Popside, tall enough to see, but not big enough lads to command any sort of personal space, everyone going crazy when the penno went in. Then filing out at the end singing "We Are Derby" at the top of our lungs, echoing in the cavity beneath the Ley Stand and each time it came around to the start, it looped again even louder than the last

But hang on - wasn't it May 1986? That's not the 30th anniversary is it?

Posted the video but didn't check page 1! Oops!

I remember the Rotheram away game where George Williams scored a late goal and then getting crushed outside afterwards because the police would not let us out onto the road. And also the atmosphere at the baseball ground for the last home game. It truly was the greatest theatre of football as the late great Peter Taylor once said.

Great season,we were the Man Utd of the 3rd Division, biggest ground,attendance's etc.Started the season as favourites but never got a sniff of the title as Reading won their first 13 matches.Beat Lincoln in November time 7-0,and the final piece of the jigsaw had just signed and watching in the stand,John Gregory.We did the usual bottling job near the end,missing several penalties, but scraped over the line.some of the best memories were 1,two tone blue striped away kit,2,being asked by the club to boycott Lincoln away cos they were charging £6 a ticket forfor extra policing costs,about 3,000 ignored them,3,being in a 4,000 crowd at home to Gillingham in FRT match,lost 0-2,4,Bucko's 40 yard free kick v Bolton,5,being confronted outside Blackpool's ground by orange ski hat wearing home fans with nunchackers, 6,the pitch.....I swear if someone spat on it it would be waterlogged,7,6,000+ crowd on a Sunday morning watching reserves win the central league v man utd,8,favourite player....Mr Robert Davison

There were some great games that season.

Starting with swansea at home 5-1

as well as crewe 7-0' there was telford in the cup 6-0

In only 8 games did we concede 2 or more,

( compared to this season when we conceded 2 or more on 21 occasions!)

The reserves were fantastic too. I seem to remember they won one match 12-0.

Swansea away was my favourite - we recovered from the 'wobble' that saw us fail to win any of the previous 4 games.

@RamNut - the 7-0 was against Lincoln. Andy Garner bagged 4.

Swansea away was my favourite - we recovered from the 'wobble' that saw us fail to win any of the previous 4 games.

@RamNut - the 7-0 was against Lincoln. Andy Garner bagged 4.

Yes that was wierd, i thought i'd put lincoln.

i think i'm going daft. I couldn't remember my address yesterday.

Yes that was wierd, i thought i'd put lincoln.

i think i'm going daft. I couldn't remember my address yesterday.

​RamNut

DCFCFans

Grimsby

​The 7-0 v Lincoln City scorers were 

Hindmarch 2,Micklewhite 2, Chandler,Davison,Garner 1 Each

​My memory is not what it was. I have no idea where that bunch of tripe came from.

​The 7-0 v Lincoln City scorers were 

Hindmarch 2,Micklewhite 2, Chandler,Davison,Garner 1 Each

​At 44 minutes, if I remember correctly, we were winning 1-0. By the 48th minute it was 4-0! Chandler curled in a great free kick just before half time, and two more were scored straight after the restart (I think one was a penalty). As I said earlier, their keeper actually had a really good game, although he still received some ironic cheers from the Popside when he made a save.

• 3 months later...

It's also 40 years (OK, 41 if you take it from the start of the season) since we won the old first division. Our start that year? 7 points (with 3 points for a win) from our first 7 games (DDWDLDL).

Our 8th league game was home v Burnley (same as this year) which we won. We also played Portsmouth away in our first match in the league cup (although we won that time)

Archived