30 years since promotion from Division 3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One memory from that rotherham game.......steve powell was in the stand with his family near me.

when it was over and the crowd were going mad, they all got up and left in virtual silence.

steve had been injured alot and missed the whole season.

i think he knew his time was up and i don't think he ever played for us again.

9th May is my birthday and I was working in Saudi Arabia at the time. However, as Friday is a day off over there, I had a small drinks party in my apartment and with about 15 minutes to go, I telephoned y brother who put the speaker to BBC Radio Derby for the final minutes.

It cost me about £50 for the telephone call but what a night to celebrate my birthday and promotion getting 'legless' in a country which bans alcohol!!!

That clip has made me get all emotional.

That season was only my second and of course it was my first taste of success - so many great memories of away matches and our incredible travelling support:

1. Winning away at Sheff Utd in the cup and taking over 10k fans;
  2. Winning at Notts County in front of 11-12k Rams fans (so many we were given the home end);
  3. Stuffing Wolves at their half condemned ground with about 9k of Rams fans. I can remember the Yam Yams being dead pleased about the their turnout - then we scored and all of the seating area celebrated (we had again been given the home areas) that upset them. 

The beauty of away matches back then in that division was that there were many clubs with big old grounds (obviously loads of terracing) so you could make a last minute decision to go as they weren't all ticket. Many times my brother would turn up on a Saturday morning with no warning and a bunch of lads in his Austin Maxi and off we'd go on a road trip. Brill!

Archived