30 years since promotion from Division 3

I believe it is 30 years since we won promotion from our 2 year spell in Division 3, under Arthur Cox with this squad.

Goalkeepers - Eric Steele, Mark Wallington

Defenders - Paul Blades, Steve Buckley, Graham Harbey, Rob Hindmarch, Ross Maclaren, Charlie Palmer, **** Pratley, Floyd Streete

Midfielders - Jeff Chandler, John Gregory, Mickey Lewis, Steve McClaren, Gary Micklewhite, Mickey Thomas, Geraint Williams

Forwards - Trevor Christie, Bobby Davison, Andy Garner, Phil Gee

I believe around 10 of these players went on to play in the top flight for us which shows that the squad must have been strong.  What are your memories about this 1985/86 season and the individuals involved?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember not going to Bury away as it was ALL TICKET and a sell out very unusual in "Them days"

Going to home cup game v Crewe we won 5.1 this match sticks out more than others as I should have got married on this day but had called the whole thing off 3 weeks earlier(wonder what happend to her ?)

Going to York for the weekend with a new bird we won 3-1

Listening on RD away at Swansea won 3-0 

This set up last home match v Rotherham for us to win to GO UP

Christie scoring winning penalty ,Norman Hunter complaining re penalty  and Trevor Crities replt

"I don`t give a monkeys about Norman Hunter" WHAT a night that was BRILL  

29 years ago to be exact. I went to 43 out of 46 matches that year, away matches always fun, especially when we won most of them. Stand-out match, apart from the Rotherham home game, was Sheff Utd away in the FA Cup. They were a division higher but we bossed it and a Rob Hindmarch goal won if for us in front of around 11,000 Rams.

My overriding memory of that season is the promotion winning game on a Friday night against Rotherham at the BBG with Trevor Christie 'as cool as custard'. It's a bittersweet memory - fantastic night but the last time I ever went to a match with my best friend, who died a short while later of cancer in his mid 30s. I miss him still.

The Rotherham game on the Friday night, wow how good was the atmosphere at the BBG that night. Makes me realise how old I am,

if only we had a defense like that now!!!!!! Rob Hindmarch & Ross MacLaren & the kids Blades & Harby.

Absolutly loved those times going to all the little grounds & filling them

Wonderful wonderful times

Blimey. Imagine if they gave penalties for that kind of thing nowadays. We'd have 10 penos a game. 

Paul Blades lived few doors down from me when I was a kid. I don't remember any of this though, I was only 3. 

Blimey. Imagine if they gave penalties for that kind of thing nowadays. We'd have 10 penos a game. 

Paul Blades lived few doors down from me when I was a kid. I don't remember any of this though, I was only 3. 

It was a night of high tension .

Did you spot Steve McClaren in that footage head in hands when Rotherham scored. 

Enjoy. 

​Brilliant footage, I've never seen that before and it gave me goosebumps.  I actually went to more reserve team games (I think we won the Central League that year thanks to Phil Gee's goals) as I was still quite young.

Anyone else got any old footage like this?

I was in C-stand for this match, for the first time, aged 13, made a change from the popside. Threw my scarf on the pitch after the match during the lap of honour and Mark Wallington picked it up and put it round his neck!!! I was well chuffed!

As you'll guess from my user name this season has many fond memories for me. Only 8 years old when we went up but the Rotherham home game was the first time I really experienced a packed out BBG really rocking. Is it just me or was football more enjoyable in those days? Less cynicism, more honest endeavour & players really putting in a shift. 

Just wish we had defenders like Rob Hindmarch (RIP) & Ross MacLaren & Arthur Cox drilling the back 4 now - think we'd have secured automatics for sure

got a few really fond memories of that season. Apart from that Rotherham game, Lincoln at home 7-0 and their keeper actually had a good game! Notts County away 3-0 and literally the whole the whole ground erupted when we scored, certainly shut the half dozen gumpsup who had been giving us stick until then. The away games that year were brilliant to be at.

Went to a game at BBG where Trevor Christie scored in the first minute and we won 1v0. Thought it was Newport but just checked and the only game we won at home by that scoreline was v Wigan.

Anyway. What the hell was that penalty given for?

Archived