The Goalkeeper Would You Rather?

Day

The Goalkeeper Would You Rather?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like all the stick granty is getting, it's not his fault he has a defence infront of him who keep making stupid mistakes, you cant be a confident keeper if you dont know whether your defenders going to miskick it into the back of your net

take the first goal when we played reading for example, what could he do? 1minute in and already a mistake and a hungry striker breathing down him.

the real question is, without spending much, who's better? I feel the money would be put to much better use getting a new defence!

Get rid of Eric 'the greatest goalkeeping coach in history' Steele 

​Is this in jest? You could see the improvement in Grant when Steele arrived. He was keeping us in games earlier in the season. Grants another player that simply couldn't handle the expectation and pressure. Lack of confidence is a footballers worst enemy.

​Geordie boy needs to go if he likes it so much up there.  I recall I come and get me article in Feb (?) just about the time when the wheels came off.  I thought we had done well to get him at first but I am far from certain now

I voted new keeper (Butland would be ace), but after reading the comments I agree Grant is more than adequate and has proven his quality, and we would be best spending our money in more problematic areas (defence).

Basically, I'm easily swayed. 

If a keeper like Westwood was available for around £1mil would you take it or keep Grant?

He was PFA Keeper of the year for the Championship and has looked quality wherever he's been. Career only temporarily stalled due to being number two at Sunderland, he's a better keeper than Wednesday's current level.

If a keeper like Westwood was available for around £1mil would you take it or keep Grant?

He was PFA Keeper of the year for the Championship and has looked quality wherever he's been. Career only temporarily stalled due to being number two at Sunderland, he's a better keeper than Wednesday's current level.

Westwood has been terrific for Wednesday. He was very good when we played at Hillsboro. 

However £1m ? A full Barker? 

Only if we had sorted the rest of the back four. No point in spending a load on a keeper and then playing four clowns in front of him.

Westwood has been terrific for Wednesday. He was very good when we played at Hillsboro. 

However £1m ? A full Barker? 

Only if we had sorted the rest of the back four. No point in spending a load on a keeper and then playing four clowns in front of him.

​Just searched him and didn't realise he's 30. That's still 2 years younger than Grant but still, older than I thought he was. The fact Wednesday got him for free may mean a lower price, but he's one of the best keepers in this league. We'd have to look at back-up keepers only from the PL, and other than Butland, are there any other realistic no. 2's in the PL that would be an improvement on Grant? Alex McCarthy maybe?

Grant is more than adequate.....

yes very capable......

capable of slicing his clearance straight to the centre forward

capable of punching it into his own net

capable of completely missing a corner

capable of letting the ball go through his legs

capable of treading on the ball

capable of spilling nearly everything 

very capable indeed

I dont like all the stick granty is getting, it's not his fault he has a defence infront of him who keep making stupid mistakes, you cant be a confident keeper if you dont know whether your defenders going to miskick it into the back of your net

take the first goal when we played reading for example, what could he do? 1minute in and already a mistake and a hungry striker breathing down him.

the real question is, without spending much, who's better? I feel the money would be put to much better use getting a new defence!

No-one blamed him for that one.

​He's not expected to save every single shot, he just makes too many mistakes for my liking. Yes if our defence was better he would have conceded less this season, but equally if we had a more consistent keeper we would have also conceded less.

When he's on form he's a fantastic keeper for this league, unfortunately there are too many mistakes in between the good performances for my liking.

​Just searched him and didn't realise he's 30. That's still 2 years younger than Grant but still, older than I thought he was. The fact Wednesday got him for free may mean a lower price, but he's one of the best keepers in this league. We'd have to look at back-up keepers only from the PL, and other than Butland, are there any other realistic no. 2's in the PL that would be an improvement on Grant? Alex McCarthy maybe?

Grant has had his chance. He has been a serial offender this year. Unfortunately you have to be able to trust the keeper and have absolute faith in them. Its impossible with Granty now......if we don't change the keeper after the numerous errors and howlers this season then that would take some explaining when other players have been dropped for far less.

Bogdan and Federici on frees could be reasonable options.

But if we can get someone even better then great.

Grant is flappy. He didn't catch a ball for the last 3 months. 

I like Roos, he has the stature of a good keeper. That's about the best I can do on this topic as Roos shaves his legs and I can never condone that kind of behaviour 

Two season's ago, I felt Grant was immense and was one of the top keepers in the division. The season just gone he fell apart in the final third, but we couldn't take the risk of replacing him. There were several weird howlers that I've never seen a keeper make before. I would say the season demonstrated he's no longer good enough to be our number one.

Is Roos good enough? Is his distribution up to it? Can he command and dominate his area and take pressure off his team? Can he communicate with and organize his defence? All questions for Eric Steele. I like his physicality compared with Grant and when I've seen him play live he's looked solid.

When Butland came, most people were saying he's decent but not as good as Grant. I think that was a lot about his distribution, which seemed to improve over the course of his stay.

A long post to say I don't know what the answer is, but the question's a good one!

yes very capable......

capable of slicing his clearance straight to the centre forward

capable of punching it into his own net

capable of completely missing a corner

capable of letting the ball go through his legs

capable of treading on the ball

capable of spilling nearly everything 

very capable indeed

Yeah a few bad ones there. I kinda feel those mistakes came as a result of losing all confidence in the four guys in front of him, and his increased nervousness just ended up snowballing. He was immense throughout 2014. You don't just lose that. His poor form is down to mentality (which was an issue spread throughout the team). If we can't get players like Grant back to their old selves, this whole squad hasn't got a chance of challenging next season. I, for one, think(hope!) we're gonna see the old Grant again. 

Archived