Just watch the highlights.....

climbon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first goal was shocking. The second goal was a penalty despite folks saying it wasn't, and the third was difficult to tell from the television footage, but Hendrick didn't seem to complain about it being given. 

3 very poor goals to concede. 

The first goal was shocking. The second goal was a penalty despite folks saying it wasn't because it was Keogh, and the third was difficult to tell from the television footage, but Hendrick didn't seem to complain about it being given. 

3 very poor goals to concede. 

​Fixed

Arsenal v Chelsea - the ball hits cahill's arm at close range. Nothing given. 

​An Inverness CT player saved it with his arm on the line aswell, and wasn't given. 

If Johnny Russell smashed a shot on goal on Saturday and Gunter slid in and blocked it with his raised arm, and it wasn't given, I would love to see the reaction on here. 

​Fixed

​Wouldn't matter who it was. Dive in with your arms flaying and you are going to give away penalties if it hits your arm. Not rocket science.  

Also note I didn't have a go at him for it. Simply stated I think it was a penalty. I do find it stupid of Keogh to always dive in with his arms flaying, but I also find it stupid that Bucko (IMO the best we have) always grabs players round the waist at set pieces. 

What on earth are you people talking about? All players slide with their arms out. It's about momentum and balance. What world do you live in where you've seen all these footballers hurling their bodies around with their arms rigid by their sides?

I always thought the ball-to-hand / hand-to-ball rule was fairly well applied by refs, but you still see occasions where the ref gives it and you wonder how on earth a defender was supposed to have a) anticipated exactly where the ball would be when placing his arms as he moves at speed or b) how he was expected to move his arm out of the way without developing the reaction times of a shaolin master

I always thought the ball-to-hand / hand-to-ball rule was fairly well applied by refs, but you still see occasions where the ref gives it and you wonder how on earth a defender was supposed to have a) anticipated exactly where the ball would be when placing his arms as he moves at speed or b) how he was expected to move his arm out of the way without developing the reaction times of a shaolin master

​I do believe its due to the ref seeing it as denying a goal scoring opportunity but then again it still doesn't explain the barometers between a penalty being awarded or not 

​I do believe its due to the ref seeing it as denying a goal scoring opportunity but then again it still doesn't explain the barometers between a penalty being awarded or not 

​It tends to depend where it is too. If it is through a group of players in a packed box, the ref tends to give the defender the benefit of the doubt. When it is a one on one situation where the defenders arm, intentionally or not, blocks the ball from going on goal, they tend to give the attackers the benefit of the doubt. 

It is a tough one because I can see both sides. If we are one down, in need a point against Reading and Gunter does what Keogh did to deny Russell, and the ref doesn't give a penalty, there would be death threats. 

​It wasn't ball to hand in this case though. Keogh's hand moves towards the ball. It was probably accidental given the speed it happened - which is why he didn't get a red card, but it certainly prevented a goalscoring opportunity. I think it was the correct decision.

​It wasn't ball to hand in this case though. Keogh's hand moves towards the ball. It was probably accidental given the speed it happened - which is why he didn't get a red card, but it certainly prevented a goalscoring opportunity. I think it was the correct decision.

​Whereas the Cahill incident yesterday ricoched off his leg and onto his arm, his hand was not in the way of the path of the ball

Archived