Just watch the highlights.....

climbon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​It wasn't ball to hand in this case though. Keogh's hand moves towards the ball. It was probably accidental given the speed it happened - which is why he didn't get a red card, but it certainly prevented a goalscoring opportunity. I think it was the correct decision.

Correct decision and nothing Keogh could have done about it. Just sums up our luck right now (and how some of our fans are looking for another excuse to berate Keogh).

Hi guys in my other guise in life I am a qualified and active referee so seeing how some interpret the rules on message boards can be quite amusing.

So in in this case it is purely and simply down to the ref deciding his hand was in a position it should not be and the distance between it and when the ball was struck.He has decided it is deliberate handball all but not a goalscoring opportunity or it would have been a straight red.

Where the hand should be in his opinion I am not sure, he obviously has not made many sliding blocks in his life because has you do one arm is raised.

I've watched it numerous times using pause etc. keogh dives in to block the shot. The ball strikes him from about three foot away, whilst he is on the move. I can't even tell where the ball hits him. Whether its his arm or his head or his chest. It all happens within a split second. Of course the ball can strike a player on the arm - that doesn't make it deliberate. I simply cannot see how keogh could be able to judge in that split second whether the ball would hit his legs or his body or his head or his arm. He couldn't do anything about where it hit him.

Its not a penalty.

and as for the ref deciding it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity ?? Thats even more bizarre. It was a shot at goal.

The key words in the quotes are "accidental" and "nothing he could have done about it."

in which case - NO PEN!

if we lose to Reading that decision will have cost us our chance of promotion.

And not the 12 games we have thrown away. 

Well yes obviously the 12 games we've thrown away.....but i'm just trying to highlight that this wasn't a trivial matter.

Archived