Most moronic celebrity (and fame grabbers)

davenportram

​The argument she makes is a fair comment, the 'bed blocker' tag is definitely disgusting. Look past her horrible personality and you see a fair argument.

is it fair that people suffering from dementia should not be in a bed so someone suffering from a different condition can have it?

to paraphise George Orwell.

"All animals have equal right to NHS treatment, but some conditions make some animals more equal"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it fair that people suffering from dementia should not be in a bed so someone suffering from a different condition can have it?

to paraphise George Orwell.

"All animals have equal right to NHS treatment, but some conditions make some animals more equal"

Sith Happens

Not sure I disagree with her in truth, perhaps other than her choice of wording - but that's what you get when Twitterers lead their life expressing important matters in 140 characters or less.  Over 3 tweets she said:-

"Dementia sufferers should not be blocking beds".

"What is the point of life when you no longer know you are living it? Bang me over the head. The day I am diagnosed with dementia is the day I book my ticket to Dignitas.

"Ultimately, if your family member is in hospital with dementia because you are not caring for them - you have no right to be outraged."

She was talking about hospital beds - she is right, dementia sufferers should not be blocking those essential beds.

I am the same as her too that if I were to get acute dementia I would not want to live either; what is the point?

Anybody who believes in family cannot disagree with point 3 either - caring is not about the old looking after the young, it is also about the young looking after the old.

I think she often makes a lot of valid points. Certainly more than Robbie Savage.

Not that easy though is it, unless you are happy just to keep running up debts. Same argument with NICE and the availability of life-lengthening / enhancing drugs.  The problem we have, and this is where you need political consensus - and not the NHS used as a political football - is that we have a massive problem building to sustain a service for FREE when the number of users is increasing significantly because of population increase, when a large proportion of our younger population choose to eat/drink unhealthily, and we are seeing  average life expectancies increasing significantly.  Perhaps we need to get to the position where there is an NHS TAX? A tax specifically spent on the NHS only. 

I absolutely agree entirely PD, and it used to be like than many many years ago with most British born families too.  But over the last 30 years a culture of me me me has been fostered by complicit political parties, ruining the fabric of family, church, respect, etc.  Even the young Asians are now beginning to move away from traditions which they would benefit from holding dear.

I think Katie Hopkins gets 90% of what she writes absolutely spot on. 

I didn't read much of what she wrote, other than what was blown up in the press, until I got the Sun+ and I have to say I agree with her more often than not.

The dementia argument, however, is rotten. I'm not saying she's completely wrong, as I-Ram pointed out, but it's such a gray area. It's just the tone of her language in the tweet that rubs me up the wrong way. I'm sure there is a lot of points for and against the argument but she's gone in like a bull in a china shop and upset people. 

It's one of those things that unless it affects you and your family then you can easily overlook the weight of the disease. 

“ALL I said was... ” It’s a classic line, but I feel I have the right to use it with regard to my recent comments on dementia.

All I said was I don’t think it’s great that one in four people in hospital beds is there with dementia. I went on to say that when I am older, instead of blocking a bed, I’d rather be euthanised. And the world went mad. “How dare you?” said Robbie Savage on Five Live. “You’re cruel,” said everyone on Twitter. “You don’t understand!” said Alzheimer’s Research UK.

But I say that if I ever get like that, I want my children to bang me over the head with a brick.

Countries such as Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland accept there is a time for people to pop off and even offer mobile euthanasia services. Sadly, we only extend this courtesy to our pets.

When I no longer know who I am or what I am doing, I do not want my children clearing up after my doubly incontinent self. I want to go off well in advance of that time and end it all. What is the point of a life if you don’t know you’re living it?

I shed said just that then that would be fine. But she didn't say that she wouldn't want to block a bed. She said (and I'm quoting i-ram who quoted her tweet)

Dementia sufferers shouldn't be blocking beds

a little different to the attempt to justify her crassness.

I find Asians are the best at looking after elderly family members, the ones I know have dropped everything (whole businesses) to look after their mams and dads.

That's actually selfish in a way can you imagine if everyone did that? Nursing homes keep our society going

“ALL I said was... ” It’s a classic line, but I feel I have the right to use it with regard to my recent comments on dementia.

All I said was I don’t think it’s great that one in four people in hospital beds is there with dementia. I went on to say that when I am older, instead of blocking a bed, I’d rather be euthanised. And the world went mad. “How dare you?” said Robbie Savage on Five Live. “You’re cruel,” said everyone on Twitter. “You don’t understand!” said Alzheimer’s Research UK.

But I say that if I ever get like that, I want my children to bang me over the head with a brick.

Countries such as Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland accept there is a time for people to pop off and even offer mobile euthanasia services. Sadly, we only extend this courtesy to our pets.

When I no longer know who I am or what I am doing, I do not want my children clearing up after my doubly incontinent self. I want to go off well in advance of that time and end it all. What is the point of a life if you don’t know you’re living it?

It's not just doubly incontinent. It's smearing it all over your face, in your ears, between your toes, up your nose, in other holes etc etc. three times a day. While the poor person earning minimum wage who doesn't even want to be there is manipulated into cleaning it up to make them presentable for the families who don't have to deal with any of that but often get on their high horse when their relative doesn't get seen to instantly. And that's civilisation apparently 

Like she says you wouldn't even keep an animal around like that. We place human life as more important than quality of life for some reason. And unlike some people I have no ethical problem with talking about the burdens people place on society. It's just being practical. I would hate to be smearing faeces over myself and the walls but I'd hate it even more if someone who didn't know me had to clean it up just because they didn't do very well in their GCSE's. Put me out of my misery already. This is the reality of dementia care that people on here are defending just so we're clear on that when they're taking the moral high ground. 

The Eskimos have got it right

Sith Happens

I dont disagree with euthanasia, but it must be a choice. Katie Hopkins comments no matter how intended are still incredibly hurtful to those that have gone through this.

To call people bed blockers is appauling, had she taken a different tact then people may have been more understanding.

At what point does someone become a bed blocker? why is dementia any different to any other illness where someone can no longer care for themselves?

It's not just doubly incontinent. It's smearing it all over your face, in your ears, between your toes, up your nose, in other holes etc etc. three times a day. While the poor person earning minimum wage who doesn't even want to be there is manipulated into cleaning it up to make them presentable for the families who don't have to deal with any of that but often get on their high horse when their relative doesn't get seen to instantly. And that's civilisation apparently 

Like she says you wouldn't even keep an animal around like that. We place human life as more important than quality of life for some reason. And unlike some people I have no ethical problem with talking about the burdens people place on society. It's just being practical. I would hate to be smearing faeces over myself and the walls but I'd hate it even more if someone who didn't know me had to clean it up just because they didn't do very well in their GCSE's. Put me out of my misery already. This is the reality of dementia care that people on here are defending just so we're clear on that when they're taking the moral high ground. 

The Eskimos have got it right

noone has defended the care home care. Some have said that they'd rather have loved ones a in a good care home than hospital.

the actual debate was about dementia patients being in Hospital, and not being called bed blockers.

noone has defended the care home care. Some have said that they'd rather have loved ones a in a good care home than hospital.

the actual debate was about dementia patients being in Hospital, and not being called bed blockers.

Thought it was about pointless celebrities? I think someone else made the point that her comments went a bit further than that. Though I appreciate its a sensitive issue that will probably effect us all at some point in life, on this particular issue I don't think Katy Hopkins went far enough (and that's coming from someone who spent seven years 'caring' for people in a nursing home)

Thought it was about pointless celebrities? I think someone else made the point that her comments went a bit further than that. Though I appreciate its a sensitive issue that will probably effect us all at some point in life, on this particular issue I don't think Katy Hopkins went far enough (and that's coming from someone who spent seven years 'caring' for people in a nursing home)

care homes aren't what she's talking about. She's talking about dementia patients in hospitals being treated - these patients may have dementia but often they are being treated for other illnesses and conditions. In what way are they blocking beds

Archived