Tom Ince

YouRams

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Ince, the son for former England captain Paul, has refused to play for the Under-21 as he wants to concentrate on his club career.

The snub has not gone down well with Gareth Southgate, the under-21 manager, who has warned it could spell the end of his international career.

Ince is currently on loan at Derby County in the Championship after a summer move to Hull City failed to see him secure a regular first team spot.

Southgate was so surprised at the player's decision last week that he rang to check he knew what he was doing. He also asked his former England teammate Paul whether he had thought things through properly.

"I've have had discussions with Tom and his dad over the last week or so and he has decided he does not want to considered for the Under-21s.

"I have to say I was surprised. He has obviously been a regular for us all the way through the campaign.

"But he feels at this moment in time he has got some priorities at club level. There is some uncertainty about where he is going to be at club level next season."

I don't think this will threaten his chances at an international career - mostly because he was never likely to be near it anyway. If he was in the frame, he'd be there now.

Fair play to him for wanting to concentrate on Derby, the feeling that he will come to us in the summer gets ever stronger, regardless of league..

He's getting a lot of stick for being "arrogant" on twitter and he is trending. Don't think people have actually read what he said because focusing on your club career doesn't make you arrogant. Problem with twitter is people just read what others say and comment on it before bothering to actually look at an original story.

He's getting a lot of stick for being "arrogant" on twitter and he is trending. Don't think people have actually read what he said because focusing on your club career doesn't make you arrogant. Problem with twitter is people just read what others say and comment on it before bothering to actually look at an original story.

I don't see why it should affect his international career. But he's a bit long in the tooth for the u21s anyway now.

its clear he needs to get settled at a club where he can play - wherever that is.

and that probably means a move.

It is the right decision. I respect him for it. He needs to get his career back on track. I hope it is with us. Was Tom Ince coming on loan to Derby a bad career move...NO! Twitter is what it is. A bunch of people who react to as little info on a topic as possible. Ince needs to recognize that we are the club for him. 

Archived