Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

49 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Any interest in the Joyce fight?

At his age its a must win. 

Looked outmatched in the first fight so its going to take a big turnround.

Not sure he looked outmatched, he just got targeted with a repeated shot and it closed his eye before Zhang tired. Joyce will win the rematch, neither will trouble the top four or five in the division, even if politics might mean they are an easier match for title fights than many more deserviing yet bound in the BS that is this game.

I fancy Zhang again tbh. 

Joyce was totally blind to the southpaw. He was rotating straight into that left hand. Never saw it coming. I don't know how you fix that. I hope his camp was full of big southpaw fighters that can bang. No good being ones he can bully or take shots from

Needs to make sure he doesn't get hypnotised by Zhang's jab again and keep getting blasted from the blind hook. 

He's come in massive. I'm not sure why? 

Zhang is good for 6 or 7 rounds max.

Joyce is good for 12 at pace. Why carry extra weight? I don't get it. 

I fancied Joyce in the first fight but how it played out put me off him for this rematch. Very interested in the fight. It's a good match up. 

Both too slow and ponderous to become world champions though. Usyk, Fury, Wilder, Joshua.... all too fast, too elusive and hit too hard to walk down 

The first round was vaguely reminiscent of the Cowardly Lion from  The Wizard of Oz...all pitter-patter and moving away.

Looked totally out powered and barely threw a punch of consequence. Got caught time and again, very wobbly legs more than once.

Really disappointing display and hard to see a way back. Thought it was a mistake to fight him again and so it proved. 

On 22/09/2023 at 21:00, Chester40 said:

Any interest in the Joyce fight?

At his age its a must win. 

Looked outmatched in the first fight so its going to take a big turnround.

None at all. Joyce was exposed in the last fight and taking this one smacks of desperation to me. Where he goes from here, I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

None at all. Joyce was exposed in the last fight and taking this one smacks of desperation to me. Where he goes from here, I don't know.

20 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The first round was vaguely reminiscent of the Cowardly Lion from  The Wizard of Oz...all pitter-patter and moving away.

Looked totally out powered and barely threw a punch of consequence. Got caught time and again, very wobbly legs more than once.

Really disappointing display and hard to see a way back. Thought it was a mistake to fight him again and so it proved. 

Wasn't meant to sound disrespectful.  Nice bloke and he wanted to put it right.

But if that had been a tune-up fight and Joyce was a journeyman then it would have been a poor display.  Looked like he didn't quite believe and then got caught and was literally staggered - possibly felt the power even more with the additional weight - and looked shot to pieces.

Hope he's made his money as can't see any big money fights coming his way again.

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Wasn't meant to sound disrespectful.  Nice bloke and he wanted to put it right.

But if that had been a tune-up fight and Joyce was a journeyman then it would have been a poor display.  Looked like he didn't quite believe and then got caught and was literally staggered - possibly felt the power even more with the additional weight - and looked shot to pieces.

Hope he's made his money as can't see any big money fights coming his way again.

The division has gone to s*** and the prime cause is Frank Warren's influence. That and Tyson Fury being shook AF. It all went wrong when Terry Marsh shot Warren square in the chest but missed his heart by a yard.

6 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

The division has gone to s*** and the prime cause is Frank Warren's influence. That and Tyson Fury being shook AF. It all went wrong when Terry Marsh shot Warren square in the chest but missed his heart by a yard.

Vert little love lost between Warren and Hatton Snr... which corner are you in, you have to choose one 😜

Joyce deserves credit for actually taking on a decent opponent in a voluntary fight. 

So many of the supposed top heavyweights have padded records, Wilder being an obvious one.

I don’t know if Usyk is tied down to a Saudi deal, but Zhang must have a big draw from China so a title fight there could be good money for them.

As for Joe Joyce. He doesn’t need a title to make money out of the sport. Chisora has shown that.

What is happening with Dillian Whyte? That would be a good fight for the British public. Or maybe a rematch with Duboius. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Joyce deserves credit for actually taking on a decent opponent in a voluntary fight. 

So many of the supposed top heavyweights have padded records, Wilder being an obvious one.

I don’t know if Usyk is tied down to a Saudi deal, but Zhang must have a big draw from China so a title fight there could be good money for them.

As for Joe Joyce. He doesn’t need a title to make money out of the sport. Chisora has shown that.

What is happening with Dillian Whyte? That would be a good fight for the British public. Or maybe a rematch with Duboius. 

Joyce looked a 3rd choice stand in who had a week to train, a journeyman nowhere near a title contender 🤔

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Sandy Ryan absolutely robbed of a win against McCaskill, I've not seen a single person score that fight for McCaskill, even the Americans are saying it's a travesty. 

Can never let things go to a judges card in the states.  Only place worse is Germany for home decisions.  Dodgy judging and too much ref protection.  It's a bugger but a knockout or two knockdowns are normally required

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Can never let things go to a judges card in the states.  Only place worse is Germany for home decisions.  Dodgy judging and too much ref protection.  It's a bugger but a knockout or two knockdowns are normally required

There are a lot less stoppages in women’s boxing probably due to 2 minute rounds and championship bouts only over 10 rounds. Sandy fights for Hearn perhaps he can put her in touch with Conor Benns chemist 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My friend is a professional boxer. Had a world title fight against Carl Frampton on the undercard of Froch Bute. I went with him to a fight in Orlando about 7 years ago, and the judging was incredible. Top Rank promotion. 

It was a pro Puerto Rico card where they had 3 or so of their top prospects on there. Long story short, one of the prospects came up against a Brazilian journeyman boxer in an eight rounder. He suffered three knock downs, once in three different rounds. He was dominated throughout, yet the judges gave him a UD win. The math never added up even if the Brazilian lost the other five rounds 10-9, the three 10-8 rounds meant he should have won 75-74 on all 3 cards. Yet he lost.

That is when I properly knew that boxing is just business. 

On a side note though, Toka Khan Clary was knocked out in the first round in a shock defeat. That is the only way you are going to be assured of victory, especially when fighting on a different promotional card.

Boxing starting to make me feel the same as football. Spend so much time angry at all the nonsense that you start asking yourself if you actually like the sport. 

I know all sports have bs but it shouldn't always be a bigger talking point than the matches all the time. 

So Sandy Ryan gets absolutely screwed over and that's that. Nothing can be done. Because it's a matter of opinion. What the hell? 

On Joyce... I think he'd beat Zhang if Zhang wasn't southpaw. But what the hell was he doing?

Rotate to your left? Yes. Rotate to your left but force the southpaw to rotate ffs!! Zhang literally had Joyce in front of him the whole fight. That was like watching a lorry turn in a side street. He didn't make Zhang move at all. He was scared of Zhang's punch finding him wide open as southpaws often do. But he didn't disguise it at all. He looked petrified. 

All he did was the equivalent of score an early goal and sit back for 90 minutes. Dreadful really. 

I mean what did Zhang do? How could he have not won that? He was confident, comfortable and the fight was at such a pace that even Zhang could do 12 rounds. 

A shocker by Joyce. It's a good job he didn't get Usyk because it would have been 12 rounds of constant beating. At least one big bang stopped him enduring a long haul thrashing. 

Joyce being talked as an opponent for Joshua this morning, while even Warren is walking away from him. Joe needs to be saved from himself, even Fraudley looked more confident against Haye than Joe did on Sat. I don't want to start a pile on, he was a good fighter but he found his level and should be proud of his achievements but to know when he has done all he can. It's not like he's 21 and ready to start all over again.