Derby County v Charlton Athletic

AmericanRam

I was following the odds on bet365.

At 2-0 up around the 60 minute mark we were 1/125 to win the game. Those odds are just unreal and goes to show content with losing just 2-0 Charlton were.

When you consider at the same time Barcelona were only 1/33 to win and they looked utterly in control against City (I was watching them on the box and they really should have scored at least 4) then it makes it even more ridiculous.

Hopefully that second half performance will have us fresh for a potentially tricky game on Saturday.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was a good professional performance last night and the first half hour was superb. 

Grant - 7 - Made a few good saves but kicking pretty poor

Christie - 6.5 - Better than he has been but seemed to dither on the ball and never really got at their fullback, meaning that whenever Ince did get the ball (which wasn't very often because Christie was happy to just turn the ball back inside), either the pass was too late, or he had 2 men on him as there was zero threat of Christie joining in.

Keogh - 7.5 good solid game, a few stray passes as well as some very important tackles

Shotton - 7.5 - Same as Keogh, looked assured, still rather see him at RB

Forsyth - 8 - Quality as he has been for last few months, solid defensively and much better going forward than he has been

Thorne - 8 - Quality whilst on the pitch, controlled it superbly, and seemed to give us such balance

Hughes - 7 - A few flashes of brilliance, but didn't really see enough of the ball down that right side (maybe because of using Forsyth as the long ball outlet?)

Hendrick - 8 - Great all round performance, I personally don't think he has been as bad as some say, but anyway tonight he was excellent

Ince - 6.5 -Saw virtually nothing of the ball, put in a really good cross first half, worked hard. Thought he looked at his best with Shotton behind him, gave him a little more freedom maybe?

Bent - 6.5 - Great in the first half hour or so then never really had a touch

Lingard - 7.5 - Really lively first half and looked very dangerous, think he went off at the right time, as he was giving the ball away abit too much second half (looked like he was trying to do one too many maybe?)

Subs 

Dawkins - 6 - Didn't do a lot

Bryson - 6 - Worked hard but same story

Omar - 4.5 - showed us why we've been missing GT

Fans - Good first half, but then the blame and groan culture came back abit and a lot left before the end

Best Hendrick has played in a while .. Lots of guts effort and skill. Thorne is certified royalty and could soon be a king. Wonderful touch control and passing . Leading up to the goal everyone round me was screaming for him to play the ball out wide .. He threaded it inch perfect though the middle for Hendrick to score. Magic moment for me . Another peachy moment in the first half  was when a ball came across to the left for Lindgard. Their defender had loads of time but took one look at Jesse and hoofed it out ..he was flipping terrified ! As all champions know when the opposition fears you you are half way to winning. Play like we did for the first half hour and teams will arrive scared COYR

Yep took peddle off the gas when we all wanted a 5-0 romp but there are a lot of games coming so maybe it was good sense. 

In all the years of attending and playing in football matches, that was the first time I ever saw a goalkeeper time wasting at 2-0 down. Bizarre. If he came for a slender defeat and was more worried about goal difference, the manager probably should have told the poor handful of buggers that made the trip up on a cold Tuesday night. Not really on. 

South Stand was the usual rabble of ****** in the second half. "Whack it forward" "Attack Attack Attack". Dawkins even got a "get off the ******* pitch" before he had actually stepped on it. 

I tried explaining that despite being 2-0 down, Charlton were actually set up like they were 1-0 up and that simply hoofing it was pointless. We were retaining possession and trying to draw them out. It was like explaining silver service waiting to Manuel. Keh?

Thought Keogh looked very good. A lot more assured. Hopefully will kick on from that. 

Talking of kicking...Has Lee Grant been training with Lewis Price?

Overall was ok. Need to play better against better opponents but that's how it goes. Lets do Fulham.

Grant .. 8 .. back to his best ..

Christie .. 7 .. much improved from a few shaky displays ..

Keogh .. 8 .. good both defensively and going forward .. 

Shotton .. 8 .. best all round display I've seen from him .. 

Forsyth .. 7 .. Steady display ..

Thorne .. 9 .. Almost perfect display of DM role , with a few brilliantly incisive defence splitting passes as a bonus , the sky's the limit when he's fully fit .. England regular after a few months in Premiership ? 

The Pale Magician .. 7 .. Didn't really need to be at his best , and looked a little tentative given his yellow card count .. 

Hendrick .. 8 .. A much improved display , but now needs to maintain this level of performance .. 

Ince .. 7 .. Didn't get as much of the ball as he should have done , and was often 'doubled-up on' when in possession .. 

Bent .. 6 .. Aside from his 'assist' , hardly featured , and this highlights the contrast between his game and that of Martin , who is involved all the game in 'hold-ups' , 'flick-ons' and winning free kicks .. Bent cannot keep Martin out of the team , there is no justification for this .. 

Lingard .. 7 .. Lively , well taken goal , always a threat , but in my opinion he's wasted on the wing .. it's running from midfield at the heart of the opposition defence where he does the damage .. 

Mascarell .. 6 .. not as bad as some thought , but being thrown in 'cold' to the DM position is not easy .. 

Bryson .. 6 .. lively as usual , but not yet a game changer .. 

Dawkins .. 6 .. received some terrible 'stick' from some idiots who know NOTHING about the game ..

A wonderful first 30 minutes , some sublime football , then Charlton brought down the curtains , and dragged us down to their negative level , not a recipe for one of the best games to watch ! 

Archived