Boro Being Taught a Lesson By Arsenal

CaverRam

Just watching Arsenal toying with Boro in the first half of the FA Cup. It shows how much investment they/we will need to compete in the PL. Boro have barely touched the ball.

They are set up like they did against us away, sit deep and keep us out, but the Gunners are ripping them to pieces. It offers some solice to being knocked out yesterday, it's a reality check/confidence knocker for them....unless they come back in the second half.

We were much better V Chelsea at any rate.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the problem that teams that set up like boro will have.  It's okay keeping things tight and nicking championship games 1-0, 2-0 etc, but step up to the prem, against better quality players, and those games become 1-2s and 2-2s.  If we go up, we'll certainly concede our fair share of goals, but you fancy us to score plenty as well.

Just watching Arsenal toying with Boro in the first half of the FA Cup. It shows how much investment they/we will need to compete in the PL. Boro have barely touched the ball.

They are set up like they did against us away, sit deep and keep us out, but the Gunners are ripping them to pieces. It offers some solice to being knocked out yesterday, it's a reality check/confidence knocker for them....unless they come back in the second half.

We were much better V Chelsea at any rate.

It shows how much investment is needed to compete with Arsenal. But we won't be competing with Arsenal.

Write off the games against the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal - concentrate on beating those around you. Villa vs. Leicester was a much better picture of what we will have to compete with at the lower end of the table.

It shows how much investment is needed to compete with Arsenal. But we won't be competing with Arsenal.

Write off the games against the likes of City, Chelsea, Arsenal - concentrate on beating those around you. Villa vs. Leicester was a much better picture of what we will have to compete with at the lower end of the table.

Good post - but that being said, we sort of did compete with Chelsea when we played them (bar a few errors). Also, this season, which team has dominated us? None really. Best case scenario has us being like Southampton next season, and I fully anticipate we might. Play good football, add a few key players, and we could be a real surprise package. 

Good post - but that being said, we sort of did compete with Chelsea when we played them (bar a few errors). Also, this season, which team has dominated us? None really. Best case scenario has us being like Southampton next season, and I fully anticipate we might. Play good football, add a few key players, and we could be a real surprise package. 

I agree. The difference is, that's a one off cup game, and you could argue they weren't firing on all cylinders. 

I think, rather than Southampton, more like Swansea in their first season, but yes. It's a shame we couldn't have pulled a team like Villa, Leicester, Sunderland in the cup. Would have been a handy guide to see where we are in terms of the teams around us.

That said, Bradford beat Sunderland.. but they also slayed Chelsea...  :ph34r:

Can be argued that we put more of a fight against Chelski - least we scored too

Certainly. I think that's how our style allows us to play though. Middlesbrough's greatest strength is keeping the back line tight, at a visible cost to scoring goals. That sounds arrogant, but Boro are the lowest scorers in the top 6, but they have conceded the fewest in the league.

Need to attack teams with intensity in the Prem, being tight and orgnised isn't enough. They have real quality and will break you down. I'd rather we lost a high scoring game than go down 2 or 3 nil every game trying to be solid but lacking the ability.

Look from 12th down. There's plenty of joy to be had from that lot.

Boro beat a good Man City team to get this far.

Plus whoever goes up whether that's Bournemouth, Boro or Derby will not have the same squads. They'll bring in at least 2/3 players that a Champ club couldn't pull in.

Plus it's the FA Cup. Based on it Bradford would fancy their chances of surviving. And Blackburn.

4 PL teams out to Bradford and Blackburn.

None worry

This is the problem that teams that set up like boro will have.  It's okay keeping things tight and nicking championship games 1-0, 2-0 etc, but step up to the prem, against better quality players, and those games become 1-2s and 2-2s.  If we go up, we'll certainly concede our fair share of goals, but you fancy us to score plenty as well.

Hmmm. Based upon a fairly limited sample of Chelsea (twice), Burnley, Leicester and QPR (the teams we played last season who are now Prem standard) the record is F 3 A 17.

Not including the Wembley match. I'd like to see us a bit more likely in truth.

Archived