Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you give up hope of finding a long lasting relationship because one woman has cheated on you in the past?

Billy Davies and Paul "let's buy Robbie Savage" Jewell won't put me off women again.

well if your making analogies;

Promotion is the equivalent of.. pulling some bird in a pub, she's not very nice to you, you very rarely get your leg over, and when you do, it's more attrition than enjoyment, and you wonder if you can hold on for 90 minutes. She's more interested in your rich mates that live in Manchester and London, and despite all of your hard work and desire to keep the flame burning, it's in vain as 10 months later, she meets up with her ex in a pub and gets back together with him, dumping you. All in all, a miserable experience.

Winning the FA Cup is the equivalent of sh*gging Michelle Keegan (or someone else awesomely gorgeous!). Something only a few people will ever get to do. You'll always be able to say you did it. It doesn't bring any future misery, unless you didn't prepare properly for what could happen during the following year. You could still pull a bird in a pub a year later.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not though. How rich do Burnley look right now? The money is relative to how much you have to pay for things. It isn't divided equally either. Positions determine how much prize money you get, and Sky/BT schedulers determine how much TV appearance money you get.

You're right, it could be more ;)   :D  

My dad went to the FA Cup final in 1946 and I was born 9 months later. Strange that.

For me it's promotion with the money, better players and the kudos that it brings.

My dad went to the FA Cup final in 1946 and I was born 9 months later. Strange that.

For me it's promotion with the money, better players and the kudos that it brings.

really? I am struggling to see the other side of things. Yes, I want promotion, but I don't ever expect us to win the FA Cup, so the opportunity to win it has massive appeal to me.

What do you think your kids and grandkids will want to hear about? The time you won the FA Cup? Or the time you got promoted and had a struggle in the Premier League?

well if your making analogies;

Promotion is the equivalent of.. pulling some bird in a pub, she's not very nice to you, you very rarely get your leg over, and when you do, it's more attrition than enjoyment, and you wonder if you can hold on for 90 minutes. She's more interested in your rich mates that live in Manchester and London, and despite all of your hard work and desire to keep the flame burning, it's in vain as 10 months later, she meets up with her ex in a pub and gets back together with him, dumping you. All in all, a miserable experience.

Winning the FA Cup is the equivalent of sh*gging Michelle Keegan (or someone else awesomely gorgeous!). Something only a few people will ever get to do. You'll always be able to say you did it. It doesn't bring any future misery, unless you didn't prepare properly for what could happen during the following year. You could still pull a bird in a pub a year later.

Again, sounds like you've given up on women due to a past relationship that went wrong.

Instead you're off for that shiny fake tanned bit that nobody really takes interest in until the clubs about to shut, then you're in a competition with a few blokes to get her home so you can brag to your mates you've pulled.

Amazing in bed but soon forgotten after a couple of years.

Give me a chance of a long lasting relationship over that any day, yeah I might get hurt again but that's life, dust yourself down and go again.

The only bit of this analogy that lets me down is you end up skint after a failed relationship, Derby wouldn't be so that's another positive if you think about it.

You will end up being known as that single guy who hasn't had any in years and still talks about fake tanned blonde he had years ago....Forest.

Didn't Wigan win the FA Cup??

Promotion 100%

First of all, that's based on the assumption that Wigan's relegation had anything to do with them actually trying to win the FA Cup as opposed to them being way too small to sustain top level football.

Secondly, I'd rather be a Wigan fan than a Sunderland fan. Sunderland are established in the Premiership, the supposed holy grail of modern football for a middling sized club. They're in their 8th consecutive season in the top flight. They've never finished higher than 10th and their average position is 14th.

Wigan fans have an FA Cup triumph they can cherish forever. Sunderland fans have the memories of mid table mediocrity and relegation scraps.

Again, sounds like you've given up on women due to a past relationship that went wrong.

Instead you're off for that shiny fake tanned bit that nobody really takes interest in until the clubs about to shut, then you're in a competition with a few blokes to get her home so you can brag to your mates you've pulled.

Amazing in bed but soon forgotten after a couple of years.

Give me a chance of a long lasting relationship over that any day, yeah I might get hurt again but that's life, dust yourself down and go again.

The only bit of this analogy that lets me down is you end up skint after a failed relationship, Derby wouldn't be so that's another positive if you think about it.

You will end up being known as that single guy who hasn't had any in years and still talks about fake tanned blonde he had years ago....Forest.

you missed the very very last sentence of my post.

First of all, that's based on the assumption that Wigan's relegation had anything to do with them actually trying to win the FA Cup as opposed to them being way too small to sustain top level football.

Secondly, I'd rather be a Wigan fan than a Sunderland fan. Sunderland are established in the Premiership, the supposed holy grail of modern football for a middling sized club. They're in their 8th consecutive season in the top flight. They've never finished higher than 10th and their average position is 14th.

Wigan fans have an FA Cup triumph they can cherish forever. Sunderland fans have the memories of mid table mediocrity and relegation scraps.

Older Sunnerlan' fans may differ!

Older Sunnerlan' fans may differ!

Come to think of it, that's another good example. Last time Sunderland won the FA Cup they finished 6th in the 2nd Division. How many Sunderland fans do you think would trade that FA Cup win for a promotion in 72-73?

FA Cup everytime.

People talk about FA Cup winners, even now. Promotions come and go, we will experience a promotion this season or soon, its going to happen, but FA Cups are rare.

The thing that interests me less is the Europa League. A thursday night game against Zenit St Kilburn Miners Welfare doesnt excite me that much.

Promotion, just. I personally feel as if everything is going so well at the minute with the ownership group, staff & players that to potentially lose that in the summer if we don't go up is too much of a risk to take. The FA Cup has a romance to it that I love but I feel if we play the long game we will eventually be in a position to win it in the future regardless! 

FA Cup everytime.

People talk about FA Cup winners, even now. Promotions come and go, we will experience a promotion this season or soon, its going to happen, but FA Cups are rare.

The thing that interests me less is the Europa League. A thursday night game against Zenit St Kilburn Miners Welfare doesnt excite me that much.

Seeing as our last European campaign was back in 1977, I'd happily take an away trip to Zenit St KMW for starters - there's always the possibility of Lisbon, Milan, Prague, Bruges etc later on.

I want to see Derby in Europe again once before I kick the bucket.

Absolute no brainer for me - FA Cup every time.

OK, getting promoted is a real buzz but lets face it, our aim when up there will be to finish 17th - hardly the Holy Grail. Plus we've managed it 3 times in the past 30 years - its not "that" big a deal. Win the FA Cup & you get one of the most iconic trophies in world football, worldwide exposure & a place in Europe.

I suspect some on here are going to very disappointed with the "Best League in the World" when we do make it back. Aside from the 5/6 big boys, the rest of the division is a dirge of defensive cynicism. Whilst I begrudgingly accept finances are a massive part of modern football, it will never ever replace the glory of winning a major trophy.

Archived