Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tough one.... I voted for FA cup on the basis that so far in my 29 years I've seen a couple promotions and will likely see a couple more (along with a couple relegation along the way) before I die but the change to see the Rams lift the cup might never happen for almost all of us.

Getting promoted will not stop the team getting broken up. Just look at Southampton, fairly successful in the premier last season, then the players and manager leave and go to the top clubs. Although, it didn't seem to do Southampton any harm.

Me.

Getting promoted will not stop the team getting broken up. Just look at Southampton, fairly successful in the premier last season, then the players and manager leave and go to the top clubs. Although, it didn't seem to do Southampton any harm.

for this to happen, you have to have players that these teams want. Nobody wants Hughes yet or they'd have made a move already whilst he's cheaper. 

Our only real risk, in my opinion, if we didn't get promoted this season would be losing McClaren, but as we've won the FA Cup, I reckon he's stay for the Europa League campaign.

Moves have been made for our players according to Rush & Evans ( comments about fending off interest). Admittedly we don't know who and how much but personally I would have thought Hughes is likely to have been one of them.

Also it isn't just about fending off unwanted interest its the personal ambition of the players. They may feel they want a shot at the Premier League and will tout themselves about via their agent. The togetherness of the squad would deteriorate imo. 

Really?

Yes. Winning promotion is much more important now, the cup is far less important. It was a silly question anyway as who knows what would have happened to Sunderland if they had gone up. They might even have a few more trophies to show for it.

Yes. Winning promotion is much more important now, the cup is far less important. It was a silly question anyway as who knows what would have happened to Sunderland if they had gone up. They might even have a few more trophies to show for it.

To the board, winning promotion might be more important - but then only if they are sensible. 

I would dispute that many fans other than 'Big Four Plastics' - or those who have been completely sucked in by Sky - would agree. Promotions come and go - I've seen a handful and they are fantastic - but to me this biggest disappointment in my entire football-supporting life occurred on 3 April, 1976.

To the board, winning promotion might be more important - but then only if they are sensible.

I would dispute that many fans other than 'Big Four Plastics' - or those who have been completely sucked in by Sky - would agree. Promotions come and go - I've seen a handful and they are fantastic - but to me this biggest disappointment in my entire football-supporting life occurred on 3 April, 1976.

With all due respect, I do find it a little condescending that wanting promotion over the FA Cup is being 'sucked in by Sky'. I'm not interested in going up, surviving for a few years and coming back down. We're all set up to do some wonderful things, let's go do them. There are bigger things than FA Cup's out there. And even if there aren't for you, being an established Premier League club gives you a better chance of winning more of them. Dare to dream

With all due respect, I do find it a little condescending that wanting promotion over the FA Cup is being 'sucked in by Sky'. I'm not interested in going up, surviving for a few years and coming back down. We're all set up to do some wonderful things, let's go do them. There are bigger things than FA Cup's out there. And even if there aren't for you, being an established Premier League club gives you a better chance of winning more of them. Dare to dream

With the state we find our club in, promotion will happen eventually. Will winning a major trophy?... I think a European adventure and winning a major trophy would be something too good to turn down, for me anyway.

Out of interest, how old are you? Because to me it seems the younger generation, who may have been starved of masses of brilliance in their lifespan whilst supporting the club would much rather have promotion, whilst us older bunch, who have seen countless promotions and top flight campaigns would much rather us win a major trophy, which we haven't won since the 70's.

If you asked the club, it's obviously going to be promotion. The new TV deal, if managed correctly, sets our club up for the next 5 years, even if we are relegated the season it is introduced.

It's a very good question, and a very good thread. I'm very interested by different peoples opinions on this.

What does being established in the Premier League give you a better chance of winning? In the last 20 years only three teams outside the super rich elite have won the FA Cup. Six have won the league cup and 2 have got to Europa League finals, but lost.

In respect of being "set up to do wonderful things", what exactly do you mean? I hope I am wrong, but the way football now works, the very best you can aspire to in the Premiership is to grab a Europa League place and try to stop the big teams picking your squad clean in the summer.

With the state we find our club in, promotion will happen eventually. Will winning a major trophy?... I think a European adventure and winning a major trophy would be something too good to turn down, for me anyway.

Out of interest, how old are you? Because to me it seems the younger generation, who may have been starved of masses of brilliance in their lifespan whilst supporting the club would much rather have promotion, whilst us older bunch, who have seen countless promotions and top flight campaigns would much rather us win a major trophy, which we haven't won since the 70's.

If you asked the club, it's obviously going to be promotion. The new TV deal, if managed correctly, sets our club up for the next 5 years, even if we are relegated the season it is introduced.

It's a very good question, and a very good thread. I'm very interested by different peoples opinions on this.

Realistically I think Promotion is a much more likely scenario and the club deserves it as we are a premier League outfit to all intense and purposes.

I want to beat Reading tomorrow in the FA Cup and go on and do our best to get to the FA Cup Final of course I do as any Derby Fan would want.

But out of the two I would say Promotion has to be my priority as would the clubs.

Let's do both.

Man U in a Wembley Final !

I did say "I would dispute that many fans other than 'Big Four Plastics' - or those who have been completely sucked in by Sky

Will it though? Promotion from this league is a very difficult task, one that a lot of people have underestimated this season. If we don't go up this season, I really fear for what happens next. 

I'm 22. My decision comes from a lot of reasons. 1. I think most of the Premier League is there for the taking 2. I don't really care for the FA Cup 3. I've only ever really watched us in the Premier League for one season (shudder) 4. Not going up and getting into Europe would probably sausage us over a bit. At least for the next few years

What does being established in the Premier League give you a better chance of winning? In the last 20 years only three teams outside the super rich elite have won the FA Cup. Six have won the league cup and 2 have got to Europa League finals, but lost.

In respect of being "set up to do wonderful things", what exactly do you mean? I hope I am wrong, but the way football now works, the very best you can aspire to in the Premiership is to grab a Europa League place and try to stop the big teams picking your squad clean in the summer.

How many Championship clubs have won any of those things? I'd take 9/40 over 0/40 any day.

Based on my time as a Derby fan, those things are wonderful. Getting to Europe through the league is a far better position than Europe through the cup.

Will it though? Promotion from this league is a very difficult task, one that a lot of people have underestimated this season. If we don't go up this season, I really fear for what happens next.

I'm 22. My decision comes from a lot of reasons. 1. I think most of the Premier League is there for the taking 2. I don't really care for the FA Cup 3. I've only ever really watched us in the Premier League for one season (shudder) 4. Not going up and getting into Europe would probably sausage us over a bit. At least for the next few years

Nice one. Cheers

Archived