The Players' "Leadership Group": who are they?

Simmo has spoken of a small group of older and younger players who 'lead the dressing room' and right the ship so to speak. I was just curious as to who we think that group consists of, and the characteristics that make them leaderss 

My guess: Keogh, Grant and Hughes. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the huddle talks I've seen Grant, Buxton, Keogh and Martin give the talks if that means owt.

Hughes is obviously an influence.

Impressed with how Ince has chucked himself into the job. Actually seems to have the opposite of a bad attitude.

Depends what you call young. Martin is only 26?

Eustace will still be about

Well he did say older and younger but I guess Martin is younger. If you go by reactions on the pitch, then it's def keogh ... Granty is an obvious one too. Not sure about Bucko but Hughes is always one of the first to sprint over and congratulate the scorer. A sign ? He's mature far beyond his years just not sure if he pipes in at meetings or if he just focuses on and encourages the other younger players .

I also wondered about that when I read it.

I'd agree Keogh, Bucko, Grant, Hughes. Plus possibly Bryson and Martin.

I love bryson but he doesn't strike me as a vocal leader type.

Impressed with how Ince has chucked himself into the job. Actually seems to have the opposite of a bad attitude.

Still don't really know where this ever came from to be honest. He has an arse for a father, granted, but other than that the main reason for his alleged "bad attitude" seems to be that he signed for Hull? Wtf.

Not sure I agree about Paul Ince. He was a cocky SOB and fond of himself for sure but if he'd been a Ram he'd have been loved.

There is a need in a leader to have both a forceful personality and to be a team player. These things can conflict.

The thing that has impressed me since I got a season ticket is that you get to that the lads really are a team. Bet Martin is amazingly gobby but his team mates know it and tell him in time honoured bantering fashion - which he in turn revels in. Very impressed with Hughsey .. Always looking out for the "new kid" seen it with Bennet, ok so he knows him, but also Ibe and Ince.

On Saturday, as the players were walking over to the pre-kickoff huddle, Bucko had his arm round Ince and was clearly giving him some kind of instruction/encouragement.  Obviously I have no idea what was said, but I imagine a few words as to what was expected of him were part of it.

Archived