AFC Bournemouth v Derby County

Mafiabob

got back at 5 tonight after leaving at 5 on Sunday. Great match and drinking. I'm a spent force this evening.

Met Froggg, Rami, iRam & son, Angry & son, West London Ram, Derby England Loyal and the Punjabi Rams  

Glad you enjoyed it too. We got back at about 3:00 this afternoon - my liver needs a holiday now.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the full 90. Gutted to have been at work and missed a great game!

Hughes again just looks soooooo good. Seems Mascarell has really settled and Thorne will struggle to push him out this season

Interesting that we didn't really miss Martin. Probably because we were never really on the back foot and didn't need a foothold high up the pitch. We had so many men forward so quickly that there was always a multiple forward options.

Bent was very good. Had he gambled on a cross he would have had another goal and you could see by his reaction he knew it. And Hughes with a superb pass to put him through (if slightly wide) was just such a great moment of understanding. He also is so good at cutting across his man from crosses.

Where Martin has always been that starting point for us he hasn't sort of had that constant goal threat going on. Obviously he scores but it's more of a result of him taking a few moments out the build up. With Bent it's the other way around. He takes a few moments out the act of poaching but he's clearly a predator and if we can sustain pressure in any match then Bent is probably a better option.

Forsyth was a bit of a beast again. Playing against two dangerous players who have great partnership. Forsyth made them fight like crazy for everything. And by the end of the match I think he won that battle.

The defence was quite solid. The second goal wasn't good at all. You're thinking Buxton could have shielded it out or done anything but what he did. But after that he didn't put a foot wrong.

The threat of Wilson diminished entirely in the end and the game looked as if only Derby could go on and win it.

Good game. High quality. Good chances for both sides. Both are a credit to the second tier. That was a better match in both quality and entertainment than many many Premier League games. It had everything.

Just watched the full 90. Gutted to have been at work and missed a great game!

Hughes again just looks soooooo good. Seems Mascarell has really settled and Thorne will struggle to push him out this season

Interesting that we didn't really miss Martin. Probably because we were never really on the back foot and didn't need a foothold high up the pitch. We had so many men forward so quickly that there was always a multiple forward options.

Bent was very good. Had he gambled on a cross he would have had another goal and you could see by his reaction he knew it. And Hughes with a superb pass to put him through (if slightly wide) was just such a great moment of understanding. He also is so good at cutting across his man from crosses.

Where Martin has always been that starting point for us he hasn't sort of had that constant goal threat going on. Obviously he scores but it's more of a result of him taking a few moments out the build up. With Bent it's the other way around. He takes a few moments out the act of poaching but he's clearly a predator and if we can sustain pressure in any match then Bent is probably a better option.

Forsyth was a bit of a beast again. Playing against two dangerous players who have great partnership. Forsyth made them fight like crazy for everything. And by the end of the match I think he won that battle.

The defence was quite solid. The second goal wasn't good at all. You're thinking Buxton could have shielded it out or done anything but what he did. But after that he didn't put a foot wrong.

The threat of Wilson diminished entirely in the end and the game looked as if only Derby could go on and win it.

Good game. High quality. Good chances for both sides. Both are a credit to the second tier. That was a better match in both quality and entertainment than many many Premier League games. It had everything.

Look at Mascarell for their two goals

got back at 5 tonight after leaving at 5 on Sunday. Great match and drinking. I'm a spent force this evening.

Met Froggg, Rami, iRam & son, Angry & son, West London Ram, Derby England Loyal and the Punjabi Rams  

Nice to meet you sage. :)

Agree entirely. A lesser ref would have sent Granty off for defo. He let the game flow and you didnt notice him at all

A better ref would have given us the free kick. He doesn't know the rules.

Gave them a soft free kick that led to their first goal too.

As I said... Best referee in Europe...

Referees make mistakes... Players do too...

Just managers quick to hide there failings (generally) behind a referee due to a teams poor performance/loss

Just got back from a properly fun and disorientating 36 hours.

All started off calm, easy train journey down and met up with a couple of mates down Bournemouth Uni. The 4 hour catch up got a bit out of hand, as a result not leaving the town centre till after 7pm. Light jog got me near the ground with 5 minutes to spare but the nerves had fully kicked in so i jumped in a pub to throw back some more alcohol. Missed kick off by 5 minutes. 

On to the game; Will Hughes was utterly majestic, Omar excellent. The moment either Bryson or Hendrick hit any kind of form and i'll start to believe. 

Our fans were top, yes quiet in stages but the atmosphere in our end had a proper feel to it. The goal celebrations were great fun, bodies everywhere. 

Back to the hotel, quick kip, train back up north around 6am. Struggling through work and then the joy of having my mouth torn apart at the dentist. Back to my crack-house of an abode at 9pm to catch the second half of the Utd game and thinking how ***** a match it was in comparison to last night. 

COYR

Really enjoyable day out, and a good performance by our Boys. There were a couple not fully at the races - Buxton and Ward - and Bucko's error for their second was criminal really particularly given the timing. However, it was a joy to see Hughes boss the midfield, and Ince too looked quality. Bent led the line well, but for me the joy was seeing Dawkins coming on and playing sensible controlled football. Before the game I said to my lad that I hoped Mac would put Shotton in the middle, and swap Dawks for Wardy. I think if he had, we would have won. That said, Bournemouth are no mugs. Like us, they have built a team on little money, they play the right way, and whilst they didn't create too much you have to be impressed by the clinical way they slotted away thir goals too. Wilson looks a very useful player. I was disappointed by their fans though - not sure they actually give any 12th man advantage.

Really enjoyable day out, and a good performance by our Boys. There were a couple not fully at the races - Buxton and Ward - and Bucko's error for their second was criminal really particularly given the timing. However, it was a joy to see Hughes boss the midfield, and Ince too looked quality. Bent led the line well, but for me the joy was seeing Dawkins coming on and playing sensible controlled football. Before the game I said to my lad that I hoped Mac would put Shotton in the middle, and swap Dawks for Wardy. I think if he had, we would have won. That said, Bournemouth are no mugs. Like us, they have built a team on little money, they play the right way, and whilst they didn't create too much you have to be impressed by the clinical way they slotted away thir goals too. Wilson looks a very useful player. I was disappointed by their fans though - not sure they actually give any 12th man advantage.

Glad you enjoyed it mate...

Glad you enjoyed it mate...

Good to meet you DEL, in fact everyone I caught up with yesterday. Sage you leave Mascarell alone, and have another Vodka Red Bull for clarity. Suggesting he was someway to blame in either of the goals is a bit like saying all would have been fine in Yorkshire a few years back if only Sonia Sutcliffe Had been doing a bit more in the bedroom.

Good to meet you DEL, in fact everyone I caught up with yesterday. Sage you leave Mascarell alone, and have another Vodka Red Bull for clarity. Suggesting he was someway to blame in either of the goals is a bit like saying all would have been fine in Yorkshire a few years back if only Sonia Sutcliffe Had been doing a bit more in the bedroom.

When is the Bournemouth DCFC fans selfie coming out then?

Wasn't able to make it in the end otherwise I would have messaged you. Sounded like a great night though

When is the Bournemouth DCFC fans selfie coming out then?

Wasn't able to make it in the end otherwise I would have messaged you. Sounded like a great night though

I saw you weren't coming buddy, as I think Badlands got your ticket didn't he? hope that plumber didn't rob you blind on your central heating.

I cannot appear in a selfie as I wish wherever possible to maintain my anonymity should I go to a home game again. Don't want JW or some other looney tapping me on the shoulder.

I saw you weren't coming buddy, as I think Badlands got your ticket didn't he? hope that plumber didn't rob you blind on your central heating.

I cannot appear in a selfie as I wish wherever possible to maintain my anonymity should I go to a home game again. Don't want JW or some other looney tapping me on the shoulder.

Unfortunately, Uni and work got in the way. Very lucky that Badlands was able to go instead though, would have been a shame if there was an empty seat.

I didn't consider the loony majority on here. How very naive of me.

A great game to watch , good football played by two excellent trams , hope they both the ones to go up automatic ..

only thing worrying me at present is the Chris Martin injury , yes , Bent is a great addition to the squad , and will always score goals , but Martin is still essential to the way we are set up to play over 90 minutes and match to match .. I fear that if he is long term injured , even with Bent's goal threat , and that of the excellent Ince too , we will only operate at 85% efficiency , particularly as he and Hughes set up so much of our build up play in games .. changing our approach system of play may be fine for short periods , but not consistently over a series of matches ..

Nice to meet you sage. :)

Sorry about the pub mix-up, DEL, but I'm convinced that out solution was spot on.

The bus went from almost outside the Mary Shelley in the middle of Bournemouth, and took around 20 minutes to get to Queen's Park. We were still in the pub at 20 to 7, caught the bus at 10 to 7, at the ground at a quarter past. After the game, we were back at the pub at 10:15 (this time the Moon On The Square), and tucking into dinner at 10:30.

Just watched the full game, courtesy of Bournemouth's website, here are my ratings and the few points I have. I also have a few notes from the Bournemouth commentators you may find interesting. 

Grant - 6 - he didn't have much to do, but nearly got sent off - which would have been a daft decision - and conceded twice. It won't be a game for him to mull over.

Christie - 8 - was huge in our build up play. He got beat once in 90 minutes, he put in some decent balls but I think the lack of Martin in the box didn't help him have a target.

Keogh - 7 - first goal, he was all at sea. However, that and the header are the only two things he's done wrong in the game. He's won his battles and has no reason to feel disheartened.

Buxton - 7 - Bournemouth commentators were raving about him in the second half and believe he was the sole reason we were able to shut up shop in the last 45. The mistake is a bad one, it's worse on second viewing, but the second half performance is Bucko at his very best. 

Forsyth - 8 - defensively, outstanding. He's marked one of the best wingers in the league completely out the game. He didn't offer too much going forward, but he did his primary job outstandingly. 

Mascarell - 9 - he was everywhere, put his foot in, won the ball and started our attacks. He put an unreal amount of effort it - he was terrier-like

Hughes - 9 - MOTM - easily the best player on the pitch and he dictated the play for large periods. He's lacking an edge to becoming worthy of a senior squad England place but you can see it's coming. The last couple of months have shown him up for what he is - the best player in the division.

Hendrick - 6 - he had some nice touches but he was absent for large periods of the match. I'd go five-six minutes thinking Hendrick hasn't even been in the frame view. For a central midfielder with his ability, he needs to show a lot more. He needs to come for the ball and show aggression to get in front of his man.

Ince - 8 - not quite as good as his debut, but he's just a quality, quality player. The goal is sublime and some of his football, notably when linking up with Mascarell and Hughes, was brilliant.

Ward - 7 - He had a poor second half, but he was fighting for everything in the first. He is clearly not completely at the races, though. He looks like he could do with a good rest.

Bent - 8 - Strong, won his battles, came for the ball, link up play was very good - an assist and a goal. He'll start against Reading and depending on Martin's injury and how he does then you could say the shirt is his to lose now.

-----

Martin - 6 - showed neat touches in the 13 minutes he was on. I believe he got injured in the second minute, though. it doesn't look too bad, probably a week or two at most on first viewing.

Dawkins - 7 - Like Buxton, the Bournemouth commentators were raving about him.  When he was coming on the 'craig ramage' type was saying how much he rates him and then as he grew into the game raved about him more. He showed his quality and perhaps would have been the better option to start. I just think he was too clever for Francis, who is great when going man for man but came unstuck when he had a player of Dawkins' intelligence and movement. 

------

I thought we were comfortably the better team for the majority of the game. Bournemouth had a 20 minute spell at the beginning of the second half but Dawkins was able to change that and put us on the front foot. I thought we looked particularly strong at the end of the first but they got the goal out of nowhere.

On the defence, they've done extremely well for 90% of the match. On another day, without a mistake, Buxton walks away with the plaudits for a big match performance. He was outstanding in the second half and put Wilson in his back pocket. Neither CB covered themselves in glory in the first half, though. 

I think we're very much the form team now. In the second half of the Bournemouth game, we had nine players with a first-team number injured, so it shows that we do have the strength in depth there and even when a spanner is thrown in the works - chris martin's injury - we have an idea of how to get around it. 

We're going to need professionalism between now and the end of the season, but we can be extremely confident that if we just play our games and keep to the standard we've set over the past two months on a consistent basis that we will not only be automatically promoted but win the league - easier said than done, though. 

Archived