Just To Watch Will Hughes Is Worth The Cost of The Ticket

Gladram

Having been the standout performer in the u21s play offs I imagine he has certainly put himself on the radar (if he was not already on there) however, I think it will be a couple of years until he would be considered for the first team. Imagine he would need to replicate the form at Premier League level first.

Good points.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilshere, Barkley, Carroll.

All of whom start regularly in a better league than Hughes and who are arguably slightly ahead of Hughes in their development.

Wilshere is 39 months older

Barkley is 16 months older

AND TOM CARROLL? No way

Barkley is probably ahead in his development but I think Hughes will go on to be a far better player.

I think Hughes is ahead of Wilshere in relative terms and again, will go on to be a far better player.

I think Hughes is already much better than Carroll.

Wilshere, Barkley, Carroll.

All of whom start regularly in a better league than Hughes and who are arguably slightly ahead of Hughes in their development.

Are you playing the Fringe this year? How much are tickets?

Lol.Do you think Hughes has a good chance to make WC 2018? I think his main competition is Wilshere,Barkley,Henderson,and perhaps Oxlade-Chamberlain?

If he's not made his first cap by that tournament, he'll probably never get his chance. He'll need to be in the Premier League next season if he wants that, whether or not he's there with us. As much as I hate to say it. And of course he has to perform well in the Premier League but I think he's good enough.

If he's not made his first cap by that tournament, he'll probably never get his chance. He'll need to be in the Premier League next season if he wants that, whether or not he's there with us. As much as I hate to say it. And of course he has to perform well in the Premier League but I think he's good enough.

I think he is good enough as well.US has some players also that I hope make WC 2018 as they have great potential.

It's great to see him increasingly showing off the sort of skill other players simply aren't capable of. Like in the Ipswich game, stuck on the by-line with maybe 4 players on him, but pirouetting round and back-heeling a perfect pass to set Ward moving in attack. Unbelievable Jeff...

Similarly a gorgeous turn to come away from two players and set up the first goal against Leeds.

A while back now, but people didn't make enough of his first goal against Brighton in the play-off second leg. There was one angle that was rarely shown, that showed the true extent of the skill to achieve that finish.

When he was taken off in the final. It's one of the few times I had to question Mac's judgement, but I think the manager (sorry  - head coach) is beginning to understand his importance to the team. I have said repeatedly that we'll miss him when he's gone, So hope that isn't for another few years...

Are you playing the Fringe this year? How much are tickets?

I'm just playing devils advocate here. 

Tom Carroll is a regular Premiership starter in a mid-table Premiership side. Is Hughes at that level?

Carroll is a very tidy player and has looked the part when I have seen Swansea play this year. 

I think because he has almost three full seasons of first-team football behind him, some people forget that Hughes is still only 19.

It's outrageous to compare him to the likes of Barkley and Wilshere, who are significantly older, who are at different stages in their development and ultimately came through top Premier League academies and were given the stage and the chance. If they were in Will's position playing for a smaller club who resist the advances of one and all, what is to say they wouldn't have had to be similarly patient?

Of course, there hasn't been a shortage of interest but I think staying at Derby has been good for him. He remains grounded, focused and it has allowed him to mature and most importantly, he has amassed the game time and experience in a physically demanding league most players his age aren't fortunate to have.

His time will come. He just needs the stage now and whether it is with us or with a top ten club, he'll get his chance to shine in the Premier League soon enough.

Honestly, I give it 12 months before his first call-up. The England set-up is not exactly awash with top-class midfield talent but at the same time, he won't really come under serious consideration playing Championship football or in humdrum under-21 games.

He is definitely capable of playing at a higher level, just how high, just how well - only time will tell!

Forget the "where should Hughes be playing" argument for a moment.

Of the 23 other clubs in this league, how many would have sold him by now?

He's made over 100 appearances for us in the Championship and he's still a teenager. We'll only realise what we've had when it's gone. 

Looked the part since day 1.

Derby have protected him really well. It helps that he's not an explosive sort of dribbling player (although he's added much more of that to his game) but they've never once said "oh he's good enough for England and worth

On Tom Carroll he is a far better player than his loan here.

He is.

Tbh I felt sorry for him here. He was trying to play a completely different game to the one we was playing. He played really well on his debut (at Barnsley?) and looked like a fast tidy passer. Then we were trying to do things quickly in matches and he wanted to pass around. Then we got on his back. Then he started struggling and then we latched onto him in the same way we latched onto Leon Best and many fans inside the iPro (less so at away games) are trying with Dawkins.

Not that he's anything special. He's still just tidy. Like a reliable passenger. But seen him in the Europa league for Spurs last season I think? And he's not rubbish

why do people criticise McClaren for leaving Hughes out?

He's a young lad.

McClaren alluded to Hughes being at risk of burn out last season and Simpson (in a forum) suggested that they are looking to protect him by taking him out of the team every now and then, regardless of fitness and form.

This is called 'management' and I for one like to see it happening. I personally think it should happen more with Forsyth, Martin and Keogh to keep them focussed and sharp.

I don't think it's right to judge any player who was here on loan based on what they did here. You can look at many who looked useless here and have gone on to do well elsewhere.

That said, Hughes is twice the player of Carroll, with twice as much potential. Hughes would look awesome in the Swansea side right now.

He is.

Tbh I felt sorry for him here. He was trying to play a completely different game to the one we was playing. He played really well on his debut (at Barnsley?) and looked like a fast tidy passer. Then we were trying to do things quickly in matches and he wanted to pass around. Then we got on his back. Then he started struggling and then we latched onto him in the same way we latched onto Leon Best and many fans inside the iPro (less so at away games) are trying with Dawkins.

Not that he's anything special. He's still just tidy. Like a reliable passenger. But seen him in the Europa league for Spurs last season I think? And he's not rubbish

Completely agree with all of that, although Will Hughes made his debut the same season, didn't he? His home debut against Peterborough was breathtaking.

After seeing that, I thought there was no point getting excited. His performance either flattered his ability and he would stay for a while, or he really was that good and we'd sell him after only a handful of appearances. Have to pinch myself sometimes that he really is that good, and we've still got him four seasons on.

Players all develop at different rates and Tom Carroll clearly wasn't ready to take on the role of getting an an average mid-table Championship side playing in front of 30,000 grumpy East Midlanders. That's no slight against him at all, lots of players aren't and he's clearly a better player now. But Will Hughes seemed capable of doing it straight out of the box two years before he was allowed to buy a pint, and that's what's amazing about him.

He's blown cold sometimes because of his age, but that's okay. Last season he was a little underwhelming to be fair. First few seasons, his brain was so obviously streets ahead of the development of his body (precisely the opposite problem with Bennett), it was ridiculous. He's always been able to out-smart some big boys who just want to kick him but it's a tall order asking a player that young to play half a century of games in a season...only now does he seem to have the body capable of keeping it up over the majority of the season.

Even then, he still needs resting quite often.

Are you watching some of the stuff he does? There was a play today in the first half which was mind boggling in how he controlled, danced and weaved. The Barcelona midfield would have been applauding. Pay attention.

Started out on our right side, floated across the edge of the box beating off several challenges before laying it off to Fozzy (or was it Dawkins) on the left side.

Archived