Just To Watch Will Hughes Is Worth The Cost of The Ticket

Gladram

I'm just playing devils advocate here. 

Tom Carroll is a regular Premiership starter in a mid-table Premiership side. Is Hughes at that level?

Carroll is a very tidy player and has looked the part when I have seen Swansea play this year. 

Tom Carroll has started 6 of Swansea's games in the Premier League this season. I don't think Gary Monk rates him as highly as you do.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he gets rid of the bumfluff he could become an all time great.

He has an unorthodox technique, you can't really compare him to any other midfielders because he is so unique.

There can't be more than 6 or 7 English midfielders, in his position, better than him.

Tom Carroll has started 6 of Swansea's games in the Premier League this season. I don't think Gary Monk rates him as highly as you do.

I would say he rates him very highly if he has used him in 11 games and started him in 6.

If I were a Premier League manager with everything they have at their disposal, it is very difficult to gain a place in a starting 11. He must be very highly rated if at his tender age, he is starting games.

He would hardly have brought him in on loan if he didn't think highly of him.

I would say he rates him very highly if he has used him in 11 games and started him in 6.

If I were a Premier League manager with everything they have at their disposal, it is very difficult to gain a place in a starting 11. He must be very highly rated if at his tender age, he is starting games.

He would hardly have brought him in on loan if he didn't think highly of him.

He's not that young though, 22. Only a few months younger than Wilshere and almost 3 years older than Will.

I agree with you that he looks a tidy player, but not sure if he's any more than that. When I've watched the under 21 games, Hughes has looked better every time. Although I might be a bit biased.

He might be behind a few other potential England midfielders right now, since he's in the Championship. But it's clear he's above this level and if he goes on to light up the Premier League, then what? Just because he's in the Championship doesn't mean he is behind all the others.

It's only when you see him in that more 'close up' context that you realise just how good he is , such close control and awareness of the 'bigger picture' is virtually unprecedented in one so young .. footballing intelligence of that magnitude is almost totally the preserve of 'older heads' in their late twenties ..

It's only when you see him in that more 'close up' context that you realise just how good he is , such close control and awareness of the 'bigger picture' is virtually unprecedented in one so young .. footballing intelligence of that magnitude is almost totally the preserve of 'older heads' in their late twenties ..

That awareness cannot be coached i don't think. Its not something you can learn. It seems to be a natural attribute.

How many players do we see who have great skill and close control but run into blind alleys? Will's first instinct is to try and play it to a teammate in a better position.

All the time he's jinking, feinting and dribbling he's also looking for that pass, checking where everyone is.....weighing up his options....all in the heat of battle while very often being kicked, and jostled with 2 or 3 men round him.

The lad is absolutely class. His appreciation of a pass, of the situation for both himself and his team mates and his ability to control the tempo of a game is just not something you can learn. He's got so much natural talent to manage football matches it's just a bit silly.

This year I think he's grown in stature and is relishing the responsibility of bossing the midfield. If he can add anything to his game I'd say it would be his shooting off the laces but he'll get more goals in time as his confidence grows.

He's got a great chance of making a lot of England caps. Long may he remain a Ram!

Another thing that I believe people are forgetting is that the championship is a fair way from the prem and it could be argued he would be a better player there because there is more space and most teams are less physical. He would perfectly suit a team like Arsenal. But lets forget that hes a ram and hopefully he will be for a long time!

Archived