Omar mascarell - too much , much too young

Debaser

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just woke up from a nightmare of Sakho cutting inside and squaring up Eustace.

I quite fancy seeing an "at speed2 yellow card offence ...like the one against Forest ......only just too late(in fact he touched the ball just as left florist pansies foot ) , and escaped with a yellow

It will be the second time Sakho does the move that will be something to worry about :-)

Pretty sure Omar will play, but for whatever reason we were attacked more than usual.  Yet our possession stats were high and above 60% again.

I think tactically we played open by pushing Will and Jeff forward an awful lot, which allowed Omar space to get busy and around the pitch.  He is I must say a very mobile and fit player

I would be happy to see either Eustace or Omar lining up on Saturday

I still don't get what it is that people have seen to make them so sure he's not up to the job, and the thread title just seems mad to me.

As I said in the match thread, more performances like tonight, and opinions will sway. 

Russell was the only player on the pitch who played as well as him.

You see I disagree. I think with the ball Omar is generally good and looked to receive the ball and play forward last night. But in his role that's only half the job.

Without the ball, defensively I think he's not great. He doesn't read the game too well and does too much ball chasing, leaving him out of position. Part of that DM role is to break up, disrupt, generally be a nuisance, and protect the centre backs. To me that's more important. It's what JE and GT do so well. I don't really see much if any of that from Omar I'm afraid.

That all might change, I like the kid but for now I think he'd be better higher up the pitch.

He was very good last night.

Doesn't seem to know his positions too well but here's the thing.

Eustace knows what to do but is sometimes too late to get there

Mascarell gets caught in wrong positions but sometimes has the pace to get there.

Some of his positioning was horrible but Eustace can have the perfect position and then be completely late for the tackle or whatever.

When it comes to attack there's no competition. Mascarell's movement off the ball is up behind Thorne and Hughes. On the ball he's better than Eustace.

He's had to wait for his chance. It takes more than a couple of appearances to knock out a player who has been in a team that gets good results but I don't see a case for Eustace for starting.

All this "clean sheet" stuff gets on my tits. It's that attitude that stopped Nigel taking the shackles off this team and cost him his job.

We have very good attacking players.

Hughes

Bryson

Hendrick

Ibe

Russell

Dawkins

Ward

Martin

Of course they all need discipline. But play to their strengths.

I am in the pro-Mascarell camp. However, it does raise the point of how much does not speaking the language well affect how the defence perfoms? Defence is all about communication and allignment, making sure all players know where they should be and corresponding to each others movements. It is the most collective part of football.

Eustace, with both his age and ability to communicate in his native tongue, has a much greater advantage in this area. I am pretty sure that the defence would prefer to play with him in front, even if he can't fizz a ball like Mascarell or receive the ball under pressure. As Mac said, he is the 'Old Warrior'. I am so torn on the issue. For weeks I wished to see Omar at the base, as the more fit, cultured, attacking player. Now I'm really not sure. I would be tempted to experiment with Eustace on Sunday to see if it stabilises the defence.  Tis a quandary, and I'm sure glad that I'm not in charge.

You see I disagree. I think with the ball Omar is generally good and looked to receive the ball and play forward last night. But in his role that's only half the job.

Without the ball, defensively I think he's not great. He doesn't read the game too well and does too much ball chasing, leaving him out of position. Part of that DM role is to break up, disrupt, generally be a nuisance, and protect the centre backs. To me that's more important. It's what JE and GT do so well. I don't really see much if any of that from Omar I'm afraid.

That all might change, I like the kid but for now I think he'd be better higher up the pitch.

Thought he read the game okay. Eustace might read the game better but sometimes he's just a traffic cone - I'm not convinced he's too much better at shielding the defence than Omar, and offers less in terms of passing.

Let me get one thing clear though - we had to wait with Omar, and still have to. Who would Christie and Forsyth rather play with? An experienced pro at this level old enough to be their coach, or someone the same age as them who doesn't speak their language? No point having a player like Omar unless the players around him know his game, and communicate properly. He's clearly shown his team-mates a lot in training - he was put in a lot of tricky situations by players expecting a lot from him.

Interesting that based on his stats, whoscored.com offers these as his strengths:

Aerial Duels

Very Strong

Passing

Very Strong

Ball interception

Very Strong

Blocking the ball

Very Strong

And this is his only weakness:

Tackling
Weak

Whereas with Eustace:

Aerial Duels
Very Strong
Ball interception
Strong
Concentration

Strong

What does that tell you? That both are very good holding players and we're lucky to have them, though neither seem quite to be on George Thorne's level when he's on top of his game.

Omar's a different type of player to Eustace, but DM is his position. They just both offer something different.

I'm not pro-Omar or pro-Eustace, I'm pro-Derby County and I like both players. I enjoy watching Omar more, but I don't understand why some fans (this isn't you Vulcan) are so determined to debate this like it's Messi vs Ronaldo. They both play for us!!!

I cannot remember the first goal last night and where the defensive formation broke down but on the second from the corner, nothing to do with Omar.

I think Butland is contributing to the defensive problems more. His kicking is worrying, he's hesitant and the shots he stops just get palmed back out. Grant gives the defence confidence.

I am very pleased we won last night with Omar playing. The confidence and experience will be very helpful for him and the team. Thing is he can still learn adapt and improve. I like Eustace and he is an old warrior. Glad we have him in the squad but he isn't going to improve because he has already passed the peak of his career.

In truth there isn't much we are doing wrong except perhaps not passing fast enough in the middle of the park and not playing a high enough line when the opposition mid field has the ball. We need to press more and play the ball forward more when we can. Its only a question of milli seconds and small percentages but they are the difference between good and great

Archived