Omar mascarell - too much , much too young

Debaser

I really enjoyed the Brentford match, even if the result was a bit hard to take. The main thing I took away from the game was the lack of defensive awareness of Mascarell. He seemed to be out of position on a number of counter attacks and seemed to be getting barked at by our back four throughout the second half.

You can't be harsh with the lad as he is still learning and adjusting the pace of the Championship but at the moment he is great on the ball but doesnt offer enough without it - which is the key job of the role he fills in the team.  It's a bit of problem really as Eustace can't play every game but I don't think Mascarell can be relied on in his absence. I hope Thorne's injury recovery is progressing well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With respect thats rubbish

He played well against Blackpool , Fulham and Brentford.

Whose fault was it that we lost against Wigan then as he didn't play that one and he's never had a chance at home!

PS Why are people blaming him for Brentfords 1st goal he was the only one tracking back and trying to get a tackle in.

On that basis blame Hughes for Brentfords 2nd has he got nowhere near the runner.

Mascarell has been fine when the passing game is clicking, the issue is when we're not doing so well, and when teams are really giving us a go. I don't like all this build up around Thorne, he may well not be right until next season, he may well never be right, we just don't know. At this point the assumption we should work with is that if we get any number of minutes out of him this season, he's done well. We may have him from March onwards, we may have him sooner, later or maybe not at all.

What we do know of him though is he fit like a glove in a side that was in gear. We didn't see enough of him to see him in these kinds of situations. The last thing we're going to need is him to come back, out of touch after a long lay off, and the 2 game run wolves coming out because he missplaced a pass.

Yeah I agree on keeping the expectations low for Thorne - he will need lots of time.  But my gut feeling about Mascarell at this stage is that he needs to improve the defensive side of his game and provide more of a shield. Hopefully this part of his game will get better with game time. But for me at this moment, his name on the team sheet makes me nervous. 

It is a wee bit daft to say he is too young, he is 21. He may lack experience in the Championship but he will only learn that by playing. I haven't seen anything in the two goals that Brentford scored to suggest that he was to blame. Nothing wrong with being shouted at by the back four, in the same way that the keeper will shout at the back four. It is not a time for gentle requests to adjust your position. Give him a break, he is a talented footballer who is learning his game in the Championship. 

I have to agree Omar is not good enough off the ball.

I think we need a bit of experience in front of the defence.

Eustace should play IMO. He is getting on and can't play every game but according to SR Thorne will be back in 90 days.  

We need someone who can put in a tackle or break up the opposing sides attacking play.

Central 3 should be Eustace, Hendrick and Hughes. Give Bryson a rest and let him have a think about it. Then if he pushes on then fine but we need to settle on the midfield 3.

Also I feel that we are missing the calmness that Grant gives us. We can rely on him so we seem a lot more relaxed. Butland's kicking is awful so we never keep the ball we just allow them to come onto us by giving them the ball which never gives the defence a break.

I think Roos needs some game time IMO he's good enough to fill in for now.

Is Hughes too young then

Why didn't he track back enough for Brentfords 2nd goal

I think you should watch it again Curtains old chap. He was tracking back and his man fairly quickly passed the ball out wide. If anything once he was on the edge of the area he should have opened his body up and that would have enabled him to stop the cross fairly easily. The defence was far too deep, the ball should not be allowed to be passed 40+ yards across the edge of the area. So long as they learn from these things it will not be a major issue.

I agree BCN,

Since when do you ever show the defender inside on goal. That was a dangerous situation and Eustace would of stuck a foot in to break up the play for the team. It would of been a Yellow and you move on.

That does show his age. Sometimes needs must and the position he holds needs to have a decision maker in it.  

For the second goal he was out of position as well. Marking space inside the box, he should of been sat in front of the back 4 not running into open space in the box.

The ball when straight past him as he had his back to the ball.

He's not Cinderella is he????

I think you should watch it again Curtains old chap. He was tracking back and his man fairly quickly passed the ball out wide. If anything once he was on the edge of the area he should have opened his body up and that would have enabled him to stop the cross fairly easily. The defence was far too deep, the ball should not be allowed to be passed 40+ yards across the edge of the area. So long as they learn from these things it will not be a major issue.

I don't blame Hughes for the 2nd goal he was trying to get back just as Omar was for the 1st.

The problem was we were too open at times

Eustace does add experience in there but he often gets bypassed as well .

It's all about this and that if you know what I mean.

Mac has a tricky decision for Huddersfield as they have a big physical side

Play Eustace and try and be more solid maybe or play Omar and go for it .

The Manager must decide but Id go with Omar ,Hughes and Hendrick.

It's tricky though as we also have Bryson to consider.

The defence was far too deep, the ball should not be allowed to be passed 40+ yards across the edge of the area.

I only saw the footage once but it looked to me like a total miskick - the defenders and attackers were all where you;'d expect - around the 6 yard box waiting for a cross. The guy's cross was so bad it wrong-footed everyone, drifted out to the edge of the area where the goal scorer seemed to also make a dody connection on his shot that ended up going in with a huge dose of spawny get

So no point blaming anyone for the second goal-  it was the Sammon-factor. You can't anticipate the unintended

I don't blame Hughes for the 2nd goal he was trying to get back just as Omar was for the 1st.

The problem was we were too open at times

Eustace does add experience in there but he often gets bypassed as well .

It's all about this and that if you know what I mean.

Mac has a tricky decision for Huddersfield as they have a big physical side

Play Eustace and try and be more solid maybe or play Omar and go for it .

The Manager must decide but Id go with Omar ,Hughes and Hendrick.

It's tricky though as we also have Bryson to consider.

Am not sure Mac has that much to consider.

Eustace has been doing a fine job all season and is highly reliable. Experience will win out when he is fit he plays.

What is there to consider over Bryson? The only midfield decision would be who plays with Bryson, Hughes or Hendrick.

Am not sure Mac has that much to consider.

Eustace has been doing a fine job all season and is highly reliable. Experience will win out when he is fit he plays.

What is there to consider over Bryson? The only midfield decision would be who plays with Bryson, Hughes or Hendrick.

I guess we will find out Tuesday .

Still say it's a squad game.

Omar shouldn't just be cast aside for Eustace thats too simplistic.

I only saw the footage once but it looked to me like a total miskick - the defenders and attackers were all where you;'d expect - around the 6 yard box waiting for a cross. The guy's cross was so bad it wrong-footed everyone, drifted out to the edge of the area where the goal scorer seemed to also make a dody connection on his shot that ended up going in with a huge dose of spawny get

So no point blaming anyone for the second goal-  it was the Sammon-factor. You can't anticipate the unintended

And as we know Christie was so close to blocking it.

Hopefully serves as a warning we have to dominate games a little more against "trying/running" teams

Blackburn players were amazed at how well we passed it around, yet nearly snook an undeserved draw .....

We need to improve at home ...and personally losing a goal that lost us one point, is preferable to losing a later goal to take us from 3 points to a point for a draw.

Just need those 3 points this Tuesday & Saturday.

Sooner of later a team will break away at the top ...hope it can be us ...but need a good run to start now out of our clear disappointment

And despite signing Omar's praises at Blackpool, doubts naturally remain.

I would imagine Madrid may want him elsewhere if he is not playing.  Maybe we are giving him a run to know if we really ant to keep him ? 

Couutts is worth a try ...but in small trials at end of games ...which is risky in itself.

He is a clever footballer ....so maybe able to pull it off.

Only thing I can pick up on from the Brentford game is when they broke he should of just brought their player down, take a yellow for the team, Eustace would have done it, but tbf I thought he played well

With respect thats rubbish

He played well against Blackpool , Fulham and Brentford.

Whose fault was it that we lost against Wigan then as he didn't play that one and he's never had a chance at home!

PS Why are people blaming him for Brentfords 1st goal he was the only one tracking back and trying to get a tackle in.

On that basis blame Hughes for Brentfords 2nd has he got nowhere near the runner.

Clearly was mainly his fault for the 1st as that's the main part of his job title as the central defensive midfielder to stop the runner, he ran almost through the entire half of the pitch with no challenge after he had turned his back on the player, I wouldn't play him in any away game after that, but would always have broken him in at home first anyway where his passing skills can maybe come to the fore and any physical deficiencies wont be tested so much.

If that was Eustace letting him do that you'd have gone crazy with a 3 page essay about what he did wrong!

Archived