Omar mascarell - too much , much too young

Debaser

Curtains me old, my point about him being rather young also relates to his experience at this level too. The Championship is a gruelling and demanding league. For me Omar might need a lot more time to find his feet and I worry about his defensive abilities.

You make a good point about Hughes but he has already played a lot at this level and is getting used to the physical side of the league but even saying that Hughes does seem overwhelmed at times probably down to the amount of football he being asked to play.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh, the good old blame game rolls on...

Not at all. Just worried about his defensive ability in a position that is very important to the way we play. And my point was his lack of experience at championship level relative to his age. I think he will need a while to adapt to the pace of championship and the physical nature of the league - something you don't get playing for Real B.  I wasn't blaming him for the defeat but I disagree with you about him playing well - again he is good on the ball but looks wanting without it, which has left us stretched and also vulnerable on the counter.   

Curtains me old, my point about him being rather young also relates to his experience at this level too. The Championship is a gruelling and demanding league. For me Omar might need a lot more time to find his feet and I worry about his defensive abilities.

You make a good point about Hughes but he has already played a lot at this level and is getting used to the physical side of the league but even saying that Hughes does seem overwhelmed at times probably down to the amount of football he being asked to play.

m8 you are so right about Mascarell being inexperienced but that's why I think it's difficult for him in away games but I think he's done ok.

I would like to see him in home games but it seems that Eustace always gets the shout.

Hughes is young and has done well for us no doubt about it.

People could conclude that I have something against Eustace which is not the case but our Home form has been hit and miss

We have a big squad and whoever gets left out has to fight for their place in the team and that's how it should be.

Clearly was mainly his fault for the 1st as that's the main part of his job title as the central defensive midfielder to stop the runner, he ran almost through the entire half of the pitch with no challenge after he had turned his back on the player, I wouldn't play him in any away game after that, but would always have broken him in at home first anyway where his passing skills can maybe come to the fore and any physical deficiencies wont be tested so much.

If that was Eustace letting him do that you'd have gone crazy with a 3 page essay about what he did wrong!

He tried to get back and get a tackle in but it's fair to say he could have been a bit stronger but we all know when your chasing back it's hard not to give a free kick away by diving in.

Other players could also have cut it out.

Eustace might of got a tackle in I don't know .

End of the day we lost but it's not all doom and gloom is it.

Wigan beat us at home and our home form is hit and miss with Eustace playing.

We are 1 point off 2nd and 3 off Watford top.

Up the Rams

Not really seen much of Mascarell having not been to an away game yet this season, but Eustace wasn't exactly great against Wigan.  In fact he's not played that well for a few matches now.

We miss Thorne.

Agree we miss Thorne but don't agree that Eustace hasn't been playing well generally, he didn't have his best match against Wigan but had been pretty consistent before that, he isn't ever going to be particularly eyecatching but knows his role inside out and doesn't tend to make silly errors and isn't likely to get involved in skirmishes either off the ball.

Mascarells played two games recently and you could say he's been at fault for two goals straight away, would rather the defensive midfielder actually defends rather than acts as another playmaker which is likely to give us a soft underbelly in away games especially.

OK we won at Blackpool but they are hardly Championship standard and then we beat Fulham who had a load of youth team players in, Brentford had a decent home record and were always likely to be tougher than those two.

If Mascarell is to play any time would rather it be in home games.

But looking forward to Thorne's return.

Agree we miss Thorne but don't agree that Eustace hasn't been playing well generally, he didn't have his best match against Wigan but had been pretty consistent before that, he isn't ever going to be particularly eyecatching but knows his role inside out and doesn't tend to make silly errors and isn't likely to get involved in skirmishes either off the ball.

Mascarells played two games recently and you could say he's been at fault for two goals straight away, would rather the defensive midfielder actually defends rather than acts as another playmaker which is likely to give us a soft underbelly in away games especially.

OK we won at Blackpool but they are hardly Championship standard and then we beat Fulham who had a load of youth team players in, Brentford had a decent home record and were always likely to be tougher than those two.

If Mascarell is to play any time would rather it be in home games.

But looking forward to Thorne's return.

You make out Eustace has been good he hasn't.

He's too old and too slow.

That's nothing against Eustace it's just how it is.

Why didn't we beat Millwall , Cardiff , Ipswich and Wigan at home Eustace played all those games.

I'll tell you why we were too slow in our build ups and too predictable and Wardy was a bonus in them games.

Eustace slows our game right down.

Don't decry our 2nd half performance against Fulham and our performance against Blackpool and

Brentford are doing ok at home and we did ok and were unlucky to lose in the 93rd minute.

We also beat Charlton and Reading in Capital one cup at home with Mascarell starting.

I like to see youth and promise so when Hughes or Mascarlell play it piques the interest but Eustace has been a solid platform. His presence when Mac came in stabilised us as a team and allowed the ball players to play. I think the choice is down to who is in the opponents team .. If they have pacy boogers then it might be an idea to have OMar on the pitch but if the have some big bouncers then could be its a job for big John .. Just a random thought ?

Note big bouncers and pacy boogers are not quirky sexual innuendos

Well Mascarell has played a big part of the match in 2 of the 3 defeats so far, I stand by that Eustace has mostly played well, he is slow yes but has never had that much pace anyway and would still have stopped their man on Saturday that led up to the goal I'm confident of that, turning your back on the player coming towards you isn't an option for the central defensive midfielder position.

Can see how Mascarell might fit in during a home game on the front foot but certainly not away for me, always would prefer a solid base than a soft underbelly.

It will be Eustaces last season here anyway so let him do his job until Thorne comes back and then we can give a big thankyou to him afterwards when we hopefully finish with a flourish.

I wont be mortified if we try out Mascarell plays in the home games just to clarify but even if he did well I'd still be inclined to go back to Eustace for road trips. But time is ticking away if we spend too much time experimenting. 1 defeat with Eustace in for most of the season sounds pretty good to me. Not sure the slow build up play in home games is down to him particularly, Whitbread was a big factor and poor distribution from Forsyth/Butland hasn't helped recently.

I don't care who plays just so long as we don't have one for home games and one for away games. If you have to do that then neither are good enough and we need someone else asap.

I'd stick with Mascarell but there's a case for Eustace. Neither have done enough to own it.

Thorne will brush them aside as they currently stand

Archived