Will Barker ever return?!

Papahet

He got injured doing a job for his employer.

His employer is honouring his contract and giving him a chance to play again.

I wouldn't want to see him crippled and discarded, afterall we chose to extend his contract whilst injured.

I wonder whether we would though, had Brian Clough's career not been ended by a knee injury, and Nigel not been the manager.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect the club for showing faith in Barker, maybe too much respects being shown though.

How many clubs would have extended his contract without knowing the full scale of the injury? He's always been given a squad number too, which I've always found rather odd considering he's no closer to returning - taking the number 5 off Bucko last season..

Also, doesn't he have his own columns in the telegraph and match day programme still? He's got his own shirts into the club shop, his own foundation and now he's the patron of Derby arts and music.

Unbelievable amount of side projects going off, considering he's in his last year and aiming to get back playing for (another) new deal

Besides, anyone not happy with what they are getting for their money can protest, complain or simply stop paying out.

I feel sorry for footballers sometimes. They get labeled as heartless, lazy mercenaries. Some are. Not all.

I know that's not the case with Barker.

Just when fans say "he's rubbish, don't renew his contract"

But then go nuts when a player wants to leave.

These are people. With families. What happens to Joe Bloggs when his contract is up? Or he's injured? Nobody ever thinks about that. They look for the best interest of their club.

If you could get more money for doing the same job then wouldn't you be tempted? Whether you're on minimum wage or

I respect the club for showing faith in Barker, maybe too much respect though.

How many clubs would have extended his contract without knowing the full scale of the injury? He's always been given a squad number too, which I've always found rather odd considering he's no closer to returning.

Also, doesn't he have his own columns in the telegraph and match day programme still? He's got his own shirts into the club shop, his own foundation and now he's the patron of Derby arts and music.

Unbelievable amount of side projects going off, considering he's in his last year and aiming to get back playing.

What else can he do though. Sit with his feet up counting his money? Good on him for having these projects imo.

He knows at some point they'll sit him down and tell him they can't keep handing out contracts.

But where does he go from there? What's his income? 30(ish) years old, retired and then what?

The club and the player have substantial insurance cover for such eventualities. If you take the insurance money though then that's it, you can't play again at a professional level.

In Giles Barnes' case I believe the club offered to share their payout with him when the medics advised him not to play again. Giles and his dad decided he was young enough to try to play and turned it down.

In both cases it appears that Derby have acted with integrity and the best interests of the player

The standout player?

He was beginning to lose his pace before his injury and he's the type of player that needs a yeard of pace because ability alone, he's not that good.

His form of his first year at the club will never return which is a shame because he was a very tidy player at this level.

I think his contract extensions may be for more than footballing reasons (on the pitch that is) but if he doesn't prove that he can still cut it on the pitch, another contract will be one step too far for the club.

We don't miss him as we have plenty to cover and even a fully fit Barker I feel would be no more than ocasional cover on the bench.

I'd say so. Who else was there? Commons who turned up as and when he pleased?

So the money spent on season tickets, shirts and other cobber doesn't go towards paying players and staff?

Doesn't matter where the money is coming from; paying a wage for a footballer who can barely kick a ball and has been sidelined for over 30 months is wasting money.

Even if he's on a mere 4 grand a week, that's a few hundred grand alone being blown on a player who hasn't played a game of football since 2012.

Let me get this straight... so, because it's your money going into the club, you should get a say in what they then go and spend it on? Would you say the same thing about any other industry or business?

As for the shirts and clobber, no-one's forcing you to buy those. If you don't like where the money's going, don't buy them. Simple as that.

You are not Derby County's financial adviser, you are just a fan. They're helping Shaun. Get over it.

Believe when he signed a extension it was on half money, wtf its got to do with u I don't know.;-)

This response was cool and really made me laugh cuz as soon as I saw the florist fan reply on the thread I thought exactly the same - wtf has it got to do with im. The red goober had to chirp in and have a little dig at the wounded warrior didn't he? 

I somewhat agree with both sides here. The clubs approach and the supporters' response shows that the club and we as Derby fans behave with class and integrity ... however, i think Papaphet touches on an important point - and that is we need to move on now because the whole rehab thing is getting very old. It's extended from taking care of him to almost playing some ridiculous game of false optimism. He's 32, his best days behind him, and now he is trying to bounce back with consistently pushed back dates of his recovery. He never has a real return date, it's nebulous. Just give him a testimonial and let's move on. 

The bigger problem for me is the club and its constant overly optimistic recovery dates for injured players. Originally Coutts was supposed to be out for what was it, 5 months. How did that turn out? With Barker the dates have moved and moved and moved again. And now, with a major knee injury to Thorne they are saying 6-9 months and a possible return in January ... he ruptured knee ligaments and it's 6 months? That would make him the greatest recovery artist in the history of sports, and it makes me very nervous, as he is a prized asset, of a possible rush back before he's 100 percent. I would rather they just say out for the season but that he will DEFINITELY be back in training for next season; better to come back a little early - say in a playoff situation or for a few final key games - then to be overly optimistic and consistently fail to meet unrealistic targets (which is what happened with Coutts). 

On Barker, I think all news about him needs to be cut off ... as it just gets us excited, when probably behind the scenes they know its a wild goose chase they are putting us through. It is possible to be fairly precise about recovery times, as i follow baseball and with medical expertise as it is now, the dates are pretty accurate depending on the type and severity of injury. 

Frankly Roy McFarland has more chance playing for us again. Sad, but true. Happy to leave it to his employers what they pay him. None of my business. I wish him every good luck with his future career interests. Always seemed an ok guy, other than his dress sense.

Let me get this straight... so, because it's your money going into the club, you should get a say in what they then go and spend it on? Would you say the same thing about any other industry or business?

As for the shirts and clobber, no-one's forcing you to buy those. If you don't like where the money's going, don't buy them. Simple as that.

You are not Derby County's financial adviser, you are just a fan. They're helping Shaun. Get over it.

Where have I stated I'm a financial advisor? YOU angrily commented that his wages didn't come out my pocket. Whereas I stated that could be debated seeing as I've put money into the club which would surely go towards paying wages.

Common sense, stop getting so ratty.

Where have I said I should have a say on what the club do/don't do? My OPINION is he should have been released months ago, both to save wages and to finally put peoples minds at rest, to also look at other career options full-time(which it looks like he's already doing).

Dean Ashton is fine, likewise Fabrice Muamba. I don't see the reason for him staying in the game, when its clear he isn't going to compete at a reasonable fitness level to play again.

People are acting as if he's going on the dole if he dare to quit the game.

His contract is up in the summer, if he's not fit enough to sign the new deal then he won't get a new deal. Let him give it his best for the final months of his contract.

He's come this far there's no point terminating his contract now. 

I very much doubt we will see him in a Rams shirt again, (and I hope I am wrong) would love to but age is not on his side and doubt that he will ever get back to performing how he could.

Such a shame as it would be good to see him in this side now.

Archived