Will Barker ever return?!

Papahet

I see today he's signed up to be Derby's arts patron, yet another "side project".

He's clearly not going to return anytime soon if already doing fashion designing and now this arts project.

He's now 32, been injured since March 2012 and still not any closer to playing even a game for the under 21 side - so why is he still on our books? He returned to " light training " only this August.

When he first got the injury it was supposedly 16 months on the sidelines. Why can't we just mutual release him? We've been too good to him to keep him on board, harsh but true. We've come on leaps since his injury and only see him taking up wages.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They said he wouldn't play at this level again without injections

Derby didn't want to go down that route because of the pain and problems it will cause him both now and for the future

Apparently he's gone down the injections route anyway?

God knows. Poor fella.

Nigel said he'd get a chance and it seems Mac is carrying that on. Until Barks gives up then I assume Derby will stick by him.

You've got to say that Barker's determination has been great. Shows he's not just in it for the money which is the reputation a lot of footballers get landed with. Got to respect the guy for that.

At his age though going down the injections route wasn't logical. A young lad would have a whole career and financial security ahead of him. Barker has at least had a good career

Part of building a team, with everyone pulling in the same direction, is surely knowing if you injure yourself in the line of duty your employer will give you every opportunity possible to return to your best.

He deserves every chance to get back, and if it's impossible, at least we've done the right thing, and the rest of the squad will see that.

You've got to say that Barker's determination has been great. Shows he's not just in it for the money which is the reputation a lot of footballers get landed with. Got to respect the guy for that.

Is continuing to earn very good money for a career he knows he can't actually be involved in not being 'in it for the money'?

If he really wasn't bothered about money he'd say that Derby can pay him off with a maximum of half his due pay so he can concentrate on other things. Not that I blame him, I and everyone else would stick it out too.

Is continuing to earn very good money for a career he knows he can't actually be involved in not being 'in it for the money'?

If he really wasn't bothered about money he'd say that Derby can pay him off with a maximum of half his due pay so he can concentrate on other things. Not that I blame him, I and everyone else would stick it out too.

Believe when he signed a extension it was on half money, wtf its got to do with u I don't know.;-)

If he wasn't bothered about money "he'd say that Derby can pay him off with a maximum of half his due pay so he can concentrate on other things."?!?

That would be stupid.

What other things?

I know he's out of contract at the end of the season, but surely if the club felt they were getting closer to getting him back playing they'd have gave him another year?

Clough extended his contract just after the injury, which shows how long ago it was and how slow the progress as been since.

30 plus months out the game and still contracted to the club, with no rough date to return to full training.

Wasting wages IMO

I know he's out of contract at the end of the season, but surely if the club felt they were getting closer to getting him back playing they'd have gave him another year?

Clough extended his contract just after the injury, which shows how long ago it was and how slow the progress as been since.

30 plus months out the game and still contracted to the club, with no rough date to return to full training.

Wasting wages IMO

Why do you care? It's not like his wages are coming out of your pocket.

Why do you care? It's not like his wages are coming out of your pocket.

So the money spent on season tickets, shirts and other cobber doesn't go towards paying players and staff?

Doesn't matter where the money is coming from; paying a wage for a footballer who can barely kick a ball and has been sidelined for over 30 months is wasting money.

Even if he's on a mere 4 grand a week, that's a few hundred grand alone being blown on a player who hasn't played a game of football since 2012.

It's sad when you see fans complaining about a club sticking by and supporting a player when he's been severely injured.

It's easy to forget that he was the captain and standout player for this club not so long ago.

Yeah, he probably won't play for the club again but where's the harm in giving him every chance to improve the condition of his knee? Barker played without training for a long time for the club. He could quite easily have had operations on his knee several times during the seasons under Clough in which we were scrapping around at the bottom of the league. I wouldn't want to speculate as to what might have happened to us if he wasn't willing to put himself through the pain barrier back then.

Heaven forbid a club shows a player some loyalty.

It's easy to forget that he was the captain and standout player for this club not so long ago.

The standout player?

He was beginning to lose his pace before his injury and he's the type of player that needs a yeard of pace because ability alone, he's not that good.

His form of his first year at the club will never return which is a shame because he was a very tidy player at this level.

I think his contract extensions may be for more than footballing reasons (on the pitch that is) but if he doesn't prove that he can still cut it on the pitch, another contract will be one step too far for the club.

We don't miss him as we have plenty to cover and even a fully fit Barker I feel would be no more than ocasional cover on the bench.

I don't think I'd consider it a waste of money if I was injured at work and they looked after me.

Is football not ***** enough? I don't really want to see injured players tossed on the scrap heap anymore than already happens.

Archived