3 Draws 1 win last 4 home games in League.

Curtains

This is what I'm on about we don't score first half in home games and have to chase games in the 2nd half after system and personnel changes

I'm glad you observed that Bris.

What's the reason it can't just be the way the opposition set up can it ! I don't buy that.

I don't see it being that difficult to break teams down 1st half

Good teams find a way to do it.

We're not Barcelona Curtains.

There isn't a massive gap between us and the rest - we're not leagues ahead.

It's difficult coming up against a brick wall and we have a style which means the majority of our goals come from open play. 

Last season Leicester City won the league at a canter. In their 23 home games that season, they were only ahead at half-time in nine of them.

Some of the comments here are daft.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're not Barcelona Curtains.

There isn't a massive gap between us and the rest - we're not leagues ahead.

It's difficult coming up against a brick wall and we have a style which means the majority of our goals come from open play. 

Last season Leicester City won the league at a canter. In their 23 home games that season, they were only ahead at half-time in nine of them.

Some of the comments here are daft.

I am daft .

Set pieces what about them .

PistoldPete2

We're not a bunch of cloggers... We scored more goals than anyone lasy season. Do you want to trade our goals from open play to be someone like Ipswich who score from set pieces?

Are Real Madrid a bunch of cloggers?  Bale and Ronaldo score a few free kicks. Not bad at corners either.

Delivery has been  very poor from corners and crosses generally thats nothing to do with clogging its just poor. Ibe has been disappointing so far except when he came on against Cardiff. We score goals and have some every good players. I just hope we can go the extra mile and clinch automatic promotion, not sure we are good enough yet.   

Are Real Madrid a bunch of cloggers?  Bale and Ronaldo score a few free kicks. Not bad at corners either.

Delivery has been  very poor from corners and crosses generally thats nothing to do with clogging its just poor. Ibe has been disappointing so far except when he came on against Cardiff. We score goals and have some every good players. I just hope we can go the extra mile and clinch automatic promotion, not sure we are good enough yet.   

We're not Real Madrid. We don't have two wingers with a combined value of $200m.

I can understand people being miffed with the delivery. Sometimes it's poor even for Championship standard. But what I don't understand is this sudden disappointment that we don't score enough set pieces.

Why do you - or anybody else - expect us to score from set pieces when we don't have the sort of team who relies on scoring from dead-ball situations?

We never scored from corners under Clough either. Don't see many people compalining about it then and that was after five years. Why now?

We never scored from corners under Clough either. Don't see many people compalining about it then and that was after five years. Why now?

People need something to complain about. Having pretty much slagged off most of the squad already...it now turns to tactics and other silly things.

What some people seemingly find impossible is to just enjoy. It clearly looks like for the second season running we are actually playing for something, something that isn't avoiding relegation. Of course it would be nice to score more set pieces but I don't see it as a major issue.

People need something to complain about. Having pretty much slagged off most of the squad already...it now turns to tactics and other silly things.

What some people seemingly find impossible is to just enjoy. It clearly looks like for the second season running we are actually playing for something, something that isn't avoiding relegation. Of course it would be nice to score more set pieces but I don't see it as a major issue.

Agree entirely....

PistoldPete2

We're not Real Madrid. We don't have two wingers with a combined value of $200m.

I can understand people being miffed with the delivery. Sometimes it's poor even for Championship standard. But what I don't understand is this sudden disappointment that we don't score enough set pieces.

Why do you - or anybody else - expect us to score from set pieces when we don't have the sort of team who relies on scoring from dead-ball situations?

I thin the problem Bris is that we now have 60% or 70% of possession in lots of games yet still end up drawing or even losing. Obviously Wembley was a prime example. Cardiff another, with Cardiff scoring from 2 set pieces when we had 70% possession. Millwall another, although actually Millwall had some decent chances.

I hope we dont have to rely on scoring from set pieces, but we seem to expect never to score from a set piece. 

I thin the problem Bris is that we now have 60% or 70% of possession in lots of games yet still end up drawing or even losing. Obviously Wembley was a prime example. Cardiff another, with Cardiff scoring from 2 set pieces when we had 70% possession. Millwall another, although actually Millwall had some decent chances.

I hope we dont have to rely on scoring from set pieces, but we seem to expect never to score from a set piece. 

If you think that's bad - how do you think Barcelona feel when they utterly destroy someone yet lose from a corner.

We are what we are. A possession-based side with plenty of goals in us but a team with small technical players who lack height in both boxes.

People complain about us and then point to Millwall, Cardiff City and whoever else etc. But I'd rather be us than them - and by a country mile too.

It's either one way or the other. We can't have a small technical side which bags loads of goals from set pieces too otherwise we'd be challenging for a European spot in the Premier League not battling to win promotion from the second division.

People need to be realistic.

If you think that's bad - how do you think Barcelona feel when they utterly destroy someone yet lose from a corner.

We are what we are. A possession-based side with plenty of goals in us but a team with small technical players who lack height in both boxes.

People complain about us and then point to Millwall, Cardiff City and whoever else etc. But I'd rather be us than them - and by a country mile too.

It's either one way or the other. We can't have a small technical side which bags loads of goals from set pieces too otherwise we'd be challenging for a European spot in the Premier League not battling to win promotion from the second division.

People need to be realistic.

I don't class our team as small.

Martin, Best, Keogh, Buxton,Whitbread, Shotton , Hendrick ,Forsyth,Christie are all 6 footers.

Mascarell and Ibe and Russell must be 6ft ish

Bolton are rubbish so didn't see much to shout about there.

Bournemouth was a grind not much to shout about there.

I get insulted a lot on here so did think about leaving forum to be honest.

I'm not liked on here much because I'm not as optimistic as others.

Pull yourself together man!

I saw a thread once on another clubs forum about set pieces. A lot like the ones we get here.

Then someone posted the statistics for a full season on the number of goals scored from set pieces.

I wish I knew how to find it.

But anyway, basically there aren't that many goals from set pieces as you'd think. The stats for corners were very low. And there were like a select few teams that were accountable for most of these goals.

It was like xxx amount of goals from corners and xx% of those we scored or conceded by Stoke, West Ham, Man City, Wigan (for example).

It was just showing that the teams scoring and conceding on set pieces tend to be the big brute sides built for such situations while smaller technical sides were conceding as they were neglecting that side of the game. The rest were barely seeing any goals from set pieces.

While we have height in our squad the likes of Martin and Hughes (both 6ft ?) are not aerial players.

I saw a thread once on another clubs forum about set pieces. A lot like the ones we get here.

Then someone posted the statistics for a full season on the number of goals scored from set pieces.

I wish I knew how to find it.

But anyway, basically there aren't that many goals from set pieces as you'd think. The stats for corners were very low. And there were like a select few teams that were accountable for most of these goals.

It was like xxx amount of goals from corners and xx% of those we scored or conceded by Stoke, West Ham, Man City, Wigan (for example).

It was just showing that the teams scoring and conceding on set pieces tend to be the big brute sides built for such situations while smaller technical sides were conceding as they were neglecting that side of the game. The rest were barely seeing any goals from set pieces.

While we have height in our squad the likes of Martin and Hughes (both 6ft ?) are not aerial players.

This is incredible .

Shall we take set pieces out of Footy then.

Brian Cloughs /Peter Taylor's teams loved set pieces and they were also brilliant one touch teams.

It's not all about the Barcelona way is it !

Derbys teams with Brian Clough and Peter Taylor were fantastic as they were under Dave Mackay.

Best football ever played at Derby .

Jim Smith teams liked set pieces also and they played great football.

Curtains, would you rather watch Stoke or Derby? Ignore your passion as a Derby fan and answer the question seriously.

Id rather watch Premier League but not Stoke thanks.

Derby County are a footballing side but in the lower tier thanks to QPR.

I've seen better at Derby as in Brian Cloughs team and Dave Mackays team.

Jim Smith and Arthur Coxs teams also were very good.

McClarens team is good but in Div 2 at the moment playing very good football if not very frustrating at times.

Turn the draws in to wins and we might get promoted but what then.

My honest opinion is its a very tight Championship which means nothing is guaranteed

The players tired excuse doesn't cut it with me either as we have a big enough squad now.

Archived