11 point season

Ovis aries

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had no goals in us that season, and we couldn't defend.

Burnley also have no goals in them, but in fairness to the Clarets they have a far better defence than what we had.

I can see them getting enough close wins together to remain largely respectable. Still almost 100% guaranteed to go down and with less than 30 points also.

First season I started watching the Rams and regardless of how bad the season was, I really liked the enthusiasm of the fans from what I saw on streams/tv,websites,etc regardless of the score.  Been a Derby fan since that season, and have never looked back since.

I agree with Bris.  Burnley this season I feel are slightly better in some areas than that Derby team and will imo get more than 11 no question.  With that being said, no way imo they do not get relegated.  I love the Rams, but it will take quite a ummm 'special' squad to get less than 11 points, if it ever happens.

Burnley on Sunday, like us, were also in that unique position where their XI was actually worse than the XI that won them promotion.

Following the injuries to Ings and Vokes, they actually look worse - goes to show what an utter mess they made of the summer window and preparing for a season in the Premier League.

I think the fact that West Brom got 4 against Burnley, yet they managed a 0-0 draw against United says it all. If they set out to defend, they might scrape a goalless draw... but in games where they think they have a chance, the second they start attacking they'll get cut apart.

I think they'll get 19 or 20 points. We had a helluva lot of bad luck that season. But then again, we were better off than them at this point.

No excuses, we were terrible that season, but the Premier League is also a lot weaker than what it was six years ago. 

Gone are the days where three of the top four regularly make the Champions League semi-finals.

The likes of Aston Villa, Bolton, Boro, Fulham, Reading etc. that season were far better than the likes of Hull, West Brom, Palace, QPR, Sunderland and Newcastle United this time around.

I think the fact that West Brom got 4 against Burnley, yet they managed a 0-0 draw against United says it all. If they set out to defend, they might scrape a goalless draw... but in games where they think they have a chance, the second they start attacking they'll get cut apart.

I think they'll get 19 or 20 points. We had a helluva lot of bad luck that season. But then again, we were better off than them at this point.

Agreed mate. I could see Burnley reaching 19 points plus.  And we did have some back luck that season, which led to just 11 points.  Imo it will take tons of bad luck, and pretty awful players, for a squad to get less than 11 points.

For anyone to break the record, it would have to take the following things to happen:

1 - The PL once again becomes the best league with all the best players

2 - A team to get promoted, and then actually get worse over the summer and winter transfer windows

3 - The squad to give up, not try and cause no ends of trouble

4 - A number of managerial changes, with each new boss worse than the last one

5 - Bad luck with injuries

6 - Conceding a number of injust last minute goals to destroy what little confidence might have remained

Basically all of the above happened to us. It was a unique season, and which IMO will never be repeated. But who cares? I've forgotten that year already and now we're light years away from that.

For anyone to break the record, it would have to take the following things to happen:

2 - A team to get promoted, and then actually get worse over the summer and winter transfer windows

6 - Conceding a number of injust last minute goals to destroy what little confidence might have remained

Basically all of the above happened to us. It was a unique season, and which IMO will never be repeated. But who cares? I've forgotten that year already and now we're light years away from that.

Agreed. That season is not one I like to ponder on too much.  Our current squad is strong, and as you say way better off in several different ways from that one (Depth, coaches,etc.)

I hope Burnley break the record, but I'd also be shocked.

Then again:

They've done fxck all in the summer transfer window... who's to say that Ings, Vokes and Shackell won't leave in January because of a falling out or something?

I guess we can't tell if the squad will give up or not

Dyche is imo a good manager but if the chairman's trigger-happy, they could end up appointing Di Canio or somebody

They've had a lot of bad luck with injuries already - Vokes is out long-term and Ings is injured at the moment as well

They've not conceded many last-minute goals yet but they did miss a late penalty that would have got them three points away to Palace.

Then again, the Prem is much weaker now. I even think that our current squad could do OK; we'd go down but certainly with a lot more than 11 points.

Last year they were mazing defensively.

When they didnt score, they managed lots of 0-0s by never giving anyway anything at the back.

Relyed massively on Ings' goals, and the goals from the ings / Vokes partnership.

Now both are injured they are a tad screwed.

Infact they have a bad injury sitiaton in midfield this time around too.

Still think barring the worst luck in the world no team will break our record ever or for a very very long time.

The Sunderland team a couple of seasons before ours were worse in that they lost more games, but they did at least win 3 to our 1. Thus a greater points tally.

Archived