How good is Frank Lampard?

i-Ram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

poor mans Eustace....

his goal scoring record for a midfielder is phenomenal, better than most strikers in fact, so yeah, he's ok.

Not a patch on Alan Durban. Probably as good as Martin Peters though.

Durban was a better player defo but Fat Franks goals are pretty impressive. Peters is a good shout tbf.

I do like Fat Frank - he seems to be a real pro, an excellent player and quite a nice, humble person.

Not a patch on Alan Durban. Probably as good as Martin Peters though.

Interesting what you and UttoxRam say about Durban - was he that good? I was only watching the Rams when my old man was prepared to take me (not much!) around that time, or the occasional glimpses on MOTD. Never really thought of him say on a comparable basis to Lampard. Obviously not a prolific midfield goalscorer so what were his major attributes?

Interesting what you and UttoxRam say about Durban - was he that good? I was only watching the Rams when my old man was prepared to take me (not much!) around that time, or the occasional glimpses on MOTD. Never really thought of him say on a comparable basis to Lampard. Obviously not a prolific midfield goalscorer so what were his major attributes?

Durban wasn't your 'dominant midfield box-to-box' player like Gerrard, Mackay in his pomp at Tottenham (who was a hundred times better than Gerrard), Roy Keane, Archie Gemmill etc. He was a 'ghost' - turning up where you least expected him, but when he hit form, so did Derby. 

Either that or you tuned in to two senile old men shouting at the moon.

The reason Durban and Lampard were mentioned in the same breath is because they were midfield players who were not known for their tackling ability.

They just popped up to take a pass, move it on and tended to be in the right place at the right time.

Interesting question....who is the better player, Lampard or Roy Keane?

Lampard's goal scoring record pisses on Keane's.

Keane probably won more tackles (guessing here as no stats checked)

Both good team players with a work ethic. Maybe Keane had a better impact on his teammates, certainly would have been more scared of him!

Skill wise? Not sure, both could pass, both had good control, Lampard the better finisher? Undoubtedly although Keane may have had better defensive attributes.

In years to come people will have the same debate over Hughes and Hendrick.

I've always liked the way Lampard can flight the ball into the net from difficult angles. He gives it a go from distance without looking stupid if it ends up nearer the corner flag than the net.

As far as Durban was concerned, the team back then was a bit like the Beatles. Individually very good, put them all together...incredible!

Lord Brian might have found a place for Frank Lampard  as a super sub like Frank Wignall! :ph34r:                                 

I agree overall that Lampard is very much underrated.  As some have said, he should have got more chances with England or at least been the go to guy more.  As i-Ram said, playing in the MLS he should easily be one of the better players.

And i-Ram I think mate that the MLS right now is not that good, and I hope that it gets better but probably not anytime soon if they can continue to run it as the NBA, NFL, and NHL, are run.

I will say he is clearly still able to play in the Premier League, but I like him going to the MLS because it will help the brand gain more respect and will spread the message about football in my country even more.  The MLS is getting better,but has a long way to go still.

Decent player, and arguably one of the best midfielders in the world tactically. He knew when to get forward, and he proved on many occasions for Chelsea he knew how to stiffle better players in a defensive shape.

So much better than Gerrard.

Now, though, I agree somewhat with Muesp that he's going to have an easy ride in City's midfield against the weaker teams.

It's not that he's wasting his time in the US, he clearly feels the need to move on whilst still at the top. A good choice, and a chance to have a relaxing few years in the US is an excellent opportunity.

If I was a footballer, I'd love to play in the US. Giles Barnes is treated like a superstar in Texas and he's being paid a fair whack. Cushty.

The reason Durban and Lampard were mentioned in the same breath is because they were midfield players who were not known for their tackling ability.

They just popped up to take a pass, move it on and tended to be in the right place at the right time.

Interesting question....who is the better player, Lampard or Roy Keane?

Lampard's goal scoring record pisses on Keane's.

Keane probably won more tackles (guessing here as no stats checked)

Both good team players with a work ethic. Maybe Keane had a better impact on his teammates, certainly would have been more scared of him!

Skill wise? Not sure, both could pass, both had good control, Lampard the better finisher? Undoubtedly although Keane may have had better defensive attributes.

In years to come people will have the same debate over Hughes and Hendrick.

Keane by a mile. A leader of men.

Archived