What do you think to Derby's summer transfer dealings?

sage

In (permanent 1st team, former loans)

Thorne

Whitbread

Naylor

In (loan 1st team)

Best

Shotton

Ibe

Mascarell

In (development squad)

Calero

Santos

Koblenz

Bunjaku

Out (loan)

Sammon

O'Brien

Bennett

Lelan

Out (permanently)

Davies

Ledgzins

Bailey

Out (end of loan and not signed)

Wisdom

Bamford

I think I have missed a departure, but overall I would give them 7 (just) out of 10.

6 for the first team

8 for the development squad

The plus point is we have kept hold of the players we wanted to, however despite improving the squad, we haven't improved the team. 

I

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In (permanent 1st team, former loans)

Thorne

Whitbread

Naylor

In (loan 1st team)

Best

Shotton

Ibe

Mascarell

In (development squad)

Calero

Santos

Koblenz

Bunjaku

Out (loan)

Sammon

O'Brien

Bennett

Lelan

Out (permanently)

Davies

Ledgzins

Out (end of loan and not signed)

Wisdom

Bamford

I think I have missed a departure, but overall I would give them 7 (just) out of 10.

6 for the first team

8 for the development squad

The plus point is we have kept hold of the players we wanted to, however despite improving the squad, we haven't improved the team.

I

Good dealings yes but the last paragraph wouldn't be true if Thorne hadn't got injured because we have improved the team unless you miss Wisdom and Bamford and are referring to that.

Im disappointed in not getting a German CB and Welbeck :(

Seriously though! I couldn't have done it better myself! with Zlatan retiring at PSG I think our other targets in the window have signed and added great depth and competition to the squad!

Lets hope we get Zlatan in a loan deal :ph34r:

The proof is in the "eating of the pudding". Too early to say but I think our head chef needs to whip the eggs a little harder, and perhaps make the pudding a little less sweet. A number of the recently acquired and exotic ingredients we have yet to properly taste. This might be a slow mix and bake, but I am hoping by end of game 10 we do have a proper pudding on our hands.

Naylor wasn't a loan, he was signed on a short term contract and then given another year.

But that's just me being picky.

7/10 on transfers, but taking into account the new contracts, takes it up to a 8.5, especially with Mac, Simmo and Steele extending. 

The only question mark for me (and I fear this may be unpopular) is the length of Buxton's contract. Yes he's the heart of this team, but should we be promoted to the Prem this season, a contract til the end of 2017? 

How much have we spent net, I doubt any other side has a squad as good as ours for the money in this division, so I have to say well done to The Holy Trinity for what I think has been a great job, yes, the proof of the pudding etc, but on paper (cue quotes) we have squad good enough to see us compete again this year... :)

As for the development squad, that's beginning to look pretty good too !

Anyway, transfer dealings. I don't see what we could have done to have had a better summer - the only downer being an injury we had no control over. We've kept all the important players and we haven't had as strong a bench since the Jim Smith era. It's a squad game, and we got very lucky with injuries last season.

As for not improving the starting XI, that's debateable. Ibe could be better than Bamford, and Christie has obvious merits over Wisdom, but it's too early to say if he's an improvement or not. And let's not forget this is a young side, in which players are developing - the team has the potential to improve without signing anyone. The team proved they were good enough last season, and the league hasn't got any better.

Our disastrous start of 1 defeat in 7 is largely down to a Wembley hangover I feel. We haven't clicked, but we will. We will have better spells of form, and worse ones, just like that little wobble we had in February last season. The key will be to keep the highs just as high, but make the wobbles less wobbly.

Naylor wasn't a loan, he was signed on a short term contract and then given another year.

But that's just me being picky.

7/10 on transfers, but taking into account the new contracts, takes it up to a 8.5, especially with Mac, Simmo and Steele extending. 

The only question mark for me (and I fear this may be unpopular) is the length of Buxton's contract. Yes he's the heart of this team, but should we be promoted to the Prem this season, a contract til the end of 2017? 

I agree with you.

Well on reflection not much has changed.

Christie for Wisdom has been heavily debated elsewhere and probably comes out a draw, as Christie is better attacking but not as assured defending. Also there is the perceived tactical change that could be affecting Forsyth's play, though I can't believe it is a tactic to only attack down the right this year?

We will have to wait and see if Ibe is an improvement on Bamford, seems likely as Ibe does seem to be a natural wide player.

Best for Sammon is definitely an improvement, though true test will be if Martin misses a few games and can Best fill that role.

Thorne's injury is the real killer, Eustace is creaking more with each passing year and cannot do half the things Thorne can, Omar is clearly going to need some time and may not be up to it.

Shotton is an interesting one as it is unclear where he will play, RB, CB or DCM and thus what his impact will be.

Re-signing all the key players, apart from Keogh was a great statement, but I agree with G-Star that the delay or failure to get Keogh to re-sign is troubling, though we don't know all the details why the delay / failure.

So if Thorne hadn't been injured I would have said we have improved, but in his absence I am saying we are slightly worse off and hoping we can be in contention for when he is fit to return.

Best for Sammon is definitely an improvement, though true test will be if Martin misses a few games and can Best fill that role.

I agree from what I've seen of Best he likes to run at defenders as opposed to Martin who isn't as mobile, and also seems to have a bit of ball control as opposed to Sammon (ball bounces off his knee/shin/backside) I certainly have more faith in him than I do Sammon.

The proof is in the "eating of the pudding". Too early to say but I think our head chef needs to whip the eggs a little harder, and perhaps make the pudding a little less sweet. A number of the recently acquired and exotic ingredients we have yet to properly taste. This might be a slow mix and bake, but I am hoping by end of game 10 we do have a proper pudding on our hands.

Hungry I-Ram?? LOL

Archived