Do you know any of the players personally???

McClarensLads

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to school with Nigel and Simon, used to play in same lads team as them both and Brian would sometimes ref us as well. Brian lived next door to my sister for years and I gave him a lift on a few occasions and a cheeky tipple in his kitchen too. Also Paul Blades brother worked with me back in the day so we often used to go back in players lounge after game at BBG/sat in players section etc We were 2nd/3rd division then so seating/tickets were not really an issue.

I met Simo Valakari once, we got on really well and he complimented my passing ability - he even said I was a future Derby County star.

I was 8 years old and a mascot at a pre-season friendly at Rushden and Diamonds, and I've since grown up to realise that Simo wasn't telling me the whole truth and perhaps our relationship wasn't as genuine as I was lead to believe. Two-faced *****. I bet he told that to every mascot that season.

Never trust a bloke from Finland. Oh did I just, erm...Never mind. :unsure:

Was in the same class as Stevie Powell at Bemrose and also played in same house/school football team. Was in crowd when he made his debut at 16 against Liverpool. Very proud that day! Also he did v well in exams but decided to play for Derby.

Also worked for an insurance company when Roger Davies (who had just scored hatrick against Tottenham in the cup) came in on counter. Before I could serve him a young girl called Sandra went up to him and asked him his name! His beaming smile evaporated! Very embarrassing at the time. Sandra said after he had left that she didnt know anything about football so possibly she is a gump by now.

I worked with Ted McMinn and john o hare at Toyota.

Both really nice blokes.

Ted had constantly got inside info on the Rams and I would go and find him after every game to discuss where it was all going wrong.

When I did the London marathon they both sponsored me, I kept the sponsor sheet that they both filled out....and dispute what people will tell you are the sweaties, they both gave very generously.

Archived